advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 
 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 16, 2006 10:34PM
The Options:
1) Return the PowerBook in exchange for a new one? (See caveats below),

or

2) Send in to AppleCare or local Apple Store for repair? (See caveats below)

The Challenge:
New 15" HR 1.67 PowerBook (on 10.4.4 with batt update applied) buzzes with AC power attached -- no matter what adapter is hooked up to it or where. Also gives wacked-out battery readings with AC power. Initial Apple Store diagnosis (with no take-apart, just a listen) is not the adapter but the "DC in[verter?] board."

I called Apple today and they said since I'm within 14 days of purchase, I could do 1 or 2 above. I said, well, can't you SEND me a new machine, and I'll send back the old one? They said no, it doesn't work like that. My local AS also refused an exchange; they said I had to take it to place of purchase for that.

The Caveats:
I'm not REAL excited about driving 4 hrs roundtrip, and turning in my machine which has sensitive data on it for a new one...but if I opt for the repair, part of me wonders what else will go wrong with this one, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, what, if any, LONG-TERM damage will result with this problem? AS assured me this damage is not possible, but I wonder about the logic board, etc. I always purchase AppleCare, though.

So what would you do? A or B? I have to decide by 1pm Friday. Serious input is much appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 16, 2006 10:40PM
Clone the drive..
Wipe the drive...
Return the Powerbook.
Get the new one.



That's what I'd do.







Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 16, 2006 10:46PM
Yes, get the new one. I am sorry about the four hour drive, however. That stinks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 16, 2006 11:10PM
Deauthorize iTunes (before cloning, just in case), if you have utilized it in that manner.

I'd opt for the new one, as well.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 16, 2006 11:54PM
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning to as well, pita that it is. Guess better a minor pita now then a giant, expensive pita later. Unanimous. Thanks, all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 17, 2006 09:03AM
How about doing the above, and weighing out the benefits of not wasting your time,
insuring it a-plenty via UPS and just sending it.

No drive, you can track it, and you'll get your machine back ready to reclone - and move forward.

I know that I'd be rabidly frothing at Apple for a new machine that crapped out - and I'd even drop the "contest the Visa charge" issue with them for some satisfaction, but if you can manage it with the least amount of adrenaline, then I'd dump it as they wish, without the car trip, and give them a week to make it right.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would You Do? Need Advice STAT
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 20, 2006 12:07PM
Nah, no adrenaline, it wasn't a big, angry thing like you might think; besides, that is not my style. It was just a bit of a pita. No biggie, really. I made the drive and swapped it out for a new one which thus far seems to be flawless. No worries. ;) But thanks, Jimmy!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020