advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Speakers Around $100?
Posted by: karsen
Date: February 16, 2006 10:41PM
Looking for some 2.1 speakers to replace my Cambridge Soundworks "Soundworks" model. They are $79 to rebuy new. I have been very happy with them except for the sketchy volume control plug which causes the speakers to pop. The problem was not the fault of the manufacturer but rather the result of a drop while moving.

I'm also considering the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 which are $118.96 at Amazon. A little more than I'd like to spend but they've recieved glowing reviews.

Any recommendations on a nice 2.1 speaker set for around $100?

What are you listening to?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Speakers Around $100?
Posted by: elmo3
Date: February 16, 2006 10:44PM
[www.rslspeakers.com]

These things do GREAT. For less than the price of your Cambridge speakers, the RSLs do volume control better. It's electronic, not mechanical.

And they do everything very well, as a matter of fact.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Date: February 16, 2006 10:51PM
Interesting. Do you have those speakers elmo? Do they have a headphone jack?

Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 16, 2006 10:54PM
I had the Cambridge and just got a set of the Rogers elmo refers to.
They really surprised me. Extremely nice. Smooth. My mixes sound like what heard on the Genelecs I used. Other stuff sound great too. The Cambridge were quite shrill compared.
Plus I have them set very narrow and the sound stage still comes across pretty wide.
Very nice.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 16, 2006 10:57PM
You can't go wrong with those Promedia speakers. Nothing else can touch them for that price.
Date: February 16, 2006 11:07PM
C(-)ris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can't go wrong with those Promedia speakers.
> Nothing else can touch them for that price.

That's what I'm thinking. They seem to have everything I want (great sound, headphone In, aux in, remote volume, wall mount option).

Those RSL are interesting though, No-Risk Guarantee. Hmm.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 17, 2006 12:02AM
If elmo has it, you can bet it was extensively researched. ; )

I have a $99 set of Klipsch Ultra 2.0 speakers I bought a year ago at my local AS (cheaper now on Amazon, I think). They sound really, really nice and have a small footprint + mini-rca in (for iPod); no sub but no complaints on the bass. But for only $20 more, the Promedia are also a no-brainer. Klipsch makes a helluva product.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 17, 2006 12:34AM
those RSL speakers have everything -- except for looks

Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 17, 2006 12:42AM
I just have to chime in here...you guys have it all wrong.

There's NOTHING to compare with the Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX-Certified 6-speaker surround sound, 560-Watt RMS system that I have in my studio. It blows everything else away, including all the Klipsch and Rogers speakers that you've listed here. 2 years of Logitech warranty too!

Best deal on it I could find tonight is $108.87 with $10 delivery (no tax in CA) at the Nerds.net:
[www.thenerds.net]

I've been using the Logitech Z-5300e system with my G5 for more than a year, and I never cease to be amazed at how powerful, clear, and channel-distinct the system is. Its big brother, the Z-5500e system, is also raved about in all of the hi-fi ratings mags, and PC magazine did a spread on that system last year also.

You can't go wrong with that much power, control, and 5.1. THX-surround sound.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Date: February 17, 2006 12:55AM
rexrzer,

Amazon has em cheaper. [www.amazon.com]

Cnet gives those a score of 6.0 in their review, pretty low. Everywhere else seems to give them a decent review though.

Not sure if I need, or want a 5.1 system. I don't really watch movies on my Mac, only listen to music. Any reason 5.1 would benefit me?

I've got it pretty much narrowed down to:
- Logitech Z-2300
- Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Still considering (but they lack headphone jack):
- Cambridge Soundworks
- RSL
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 17, 2006 03:04AM
What the F does Cnet know about speakers anyway! LOL! smiling smiley

And by the way, the link I posted above is the cheapest for price plus shipping on the net...Amazon will rape you shipping these speakers...they weigh 42 pounds! Go look at Amazon's shipping fee for a 42 pound package.

These are great speakers, bar none. Read some of the reviews at Amazon, and you'll see that everybody rated them mostly 5 Stars, the others 4.5 or 4 Stars. Why would you need these compared to the Z-2300, or the Klipsch speakers?

Because they kiss ass, that's why! I recommended these to several folks over at the other place, and they all bought the system and thanked me over and over. Don't remember who they were right now, or whether they've transferred here. I think a couple are here.

To use these with a Mac, you have to buy a $6.95 Radio Shack 3-into-one headphone jack splitter, as the Mac, as you know, is pretty short-changed when it comes to sound out. We don't have the luxury of having dedicated sound cards like PCs do, but still, even with the above setup this system kicks out some serious sound. The bass could break the glass in my studio if I cranked it up past 7 or 8, so I have to be careful about that.

You figure it out for yourself...and read some of those reviews at Amazon if you want honest feedback about the Z-5300e Logitech system. Good luck!

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 03:09AM by rexrzer.
Date: February 17, 2006 06:04AM
karsen Wrote:
> Interesting. Do you have those speakers elmo? Do
> they have a headphone jack?

No headphone jack.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Date: February 17, 2006 06:07AM
rexrzer Wrote:
> You can't go wrong with that much power, control,
> and 5.1. THX-surround sound.

It's junk power.

It's not about the power; it's how WELL the power is created and used. It's about how CLEAN the power is.

I'd rather have a well-generated, super clean 15 watts RMS than a current junk "EIGHT HUNDRED WATTS OF GROUND-POUNDING POWER FOR $59!"

It's not about the power. More isn't better.

---------------

Date: February 17, 2006 08:53AM
rexrzer Wrote:
> And by the way, the link I posted above is the
> cheapest for price plus shipping on the
> net...Amazon will rape you shipping these
> speakers...they weigh 42 pounds! Go look at
> Amazon's shipping fee for a 42 pound package.

>To use these with a Mac, you have to buy a $6.95
>Radio Shack 3-into-one headphone jack splitter

Free shipping from Amazon. Use the Amazon Prime 3 month trial and get free 2 day or $3.99 overnight on any item.

So by using that splitter are you getting true 5.1 sound? I still don't see the value in a 5.1 system when I will only be listening to music not encoded to take advantage of that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020