advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I just found a box of my old 80's CDs!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 08, 2008 08:49PM
I had almost forgot how good Sting's - "The Dream of the Blue Turtles" was! I found my
original Pink Floyd the Wall release, Phil Collins- "No Jacket Required", ELP - "Best of", U2 -
"The Unforgettable Fire", Pat Methney - "80/81", Quicksilver soundtrack and Barbara
Streisand - "The Broadway Album" among others. I still can't find my Weather Report -
"Heavy Weather" CD dang it! Many of these CD's are "target CDs" (early German
pressings), and early Japanese. And some say there was no decent music produced in the 80's.
Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I just found a box of my old 80's CDs!
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 08, 2008 08:57PM
So are you "comfortably numb" now?

"The Wall" is one of my all-time favorite albums. My 16 year old daughter ripped my double CD set and has most of it on her iPod. Now we can both sing along with it in the car. Thank goodness she has good taste in older music. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: slbett
Date: March 08, 2008 08:58PM
Good find but should have lost the Barbara Streisand one.
Date: March 08, 2008 09:01PM
slbett
Good find but should have lost the Barbara Streisand one.

How about the Madonna - "Like a Virgin" I found that one too?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 08, 2008 09:04PM
Wait- you had CD's in the early 80's ? You didn't happen to drive a flying DeLorean by chance ?
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: March 08, 2008 09:05PM
Grateful11
I still can't find my Weather Report -
"Heavy Weather" CD dang it!

Er . . . look in the 70s box?
Date: March 08, 2008 09:08PM
cbelt3
Wait- you had CD's in the early 80's ? You didn't happen to drive a flying DeLorean by chance ?

CD's started showing up around 83 or so. The first ones came out of very few european factories and were a little pricey . . . worked in a record store during that whole era.
Date: March 08, 2008 09:17PM
rgG
So are you "comfortably numb" now?

"The Wall" is one of my all-time favorite albums. My 16 year old daughter ripped my double CD set and has most of it on her iPod. Now we can both sing along with it in the car. Thank goodness she has good taste in older music. grinning smiley

You know I have The Wall on CD and Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl, for some reason I never
bought that one on CD not sure why.

I bought a Mitsubishi CD player in '84. Back then when you went to a record store, even a
big like Peaches Records and Tapes, they only had one section of CD's about 4' wide and
most of it was Classical. I had the first production CD Car player, a Sony Sony CDX-R7 I
believe it was called, the thing was more trouble than it worth especially in that I paid $700
for in '84 or '85, way too much skipping and too many errors.

Grateful11
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 08, 2008 09:22PM
This was my first CD player. A Sony D-50. I still have it somewhere here in the house. I also had the optional rechargable battery station, as shown in the image below. I think it still works.

Edit: The first CD I bought, same day a the player, was "Dark Side of the Moon". I still have the CD, and somewhere I also have the vinyl.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 09:25PM by rgG.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 08, 2008 09:31PM
Is that the Sting album that had the "If you love somebody, set them free" song on it? I'd love to see the video again sometime. Years ago I was stuck working for the same company as a very cool black woman who was also working as a musician, mainly doing backup vocals, although she also sang with a gospel group (who made an appearance on Saturday Night Live). She got the heck out of her word processing job and eventually got gigs singing backup with Laurie Anderson, The Talking Heads, and Sting. She's in that video. It's cool when a nice, talented person gets some breaks.
Date: March 08, 2008 09:32PM
I think it's the one with "Russians"-- always wished I owned it but never got around to buying it.
Date: March 08, 2008 09:37PM
rgG
This was my first CD player. A Sony D-50. I still have it somewhere here in the house. I also had the optional rechargable battery station, as shown in the image below. I think it still works.

Edit: The first CD I bought, same day a the player, was "Dark Side of the Moon". I still have the CD, and somewhere I also have the vinyl.

That's wild because I had that one first and traded in on the car player because I couldn't
get the Discman(D-50) to quit humming through my Crutchfield amp and Concord stereo in car. The
Discman cost $400 now you pick a portable CD player for what $20?
I believe the D-50 had a Docking Cradle for home use.

[en.wikipedia.org]

>I think it's the one with "Russians"-- always wished I owned it but never got around to buying it.

That's the one, it's worth seeking out.

Grateful11

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 09:51PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 08, 2008 10:07PM
rgG

I had 2 of those. Let one go in divorce. Still have it, still works perfect, but I never use the external sleeve or batteries. Got one via credit card insert that said they'd beat the difference x3. They wanted $80 more than the first one I got at Illinois Audio.... for
$210.

So the second one (via credit card envelope offer) was free!

I still thank Bank of America for that 1 year hassle back in 1983-84.

Both mine had a slide under dock with ports and PS built into the 2" deep dock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 10:09PM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: March 08, 2008 10:13PM
I just found my 80's CDs box, too. I had to move it so I could get to the 90's and 00's also-rans sitting under it (I wanted to listen to some Grunge).

Posted by: dotman
Date: March 08, 2008 10:39PM
i had tickets to the wall in 80 and didn't go. stupid.

dot.
Posted by: davec
Date: March 08, 2008 10:41PM
My first CD player was a Sony D-10. I thought I was really living when my wife purchased the optional remote control kit for it as a birthday present for me. The player still works, but the (lead/acid?) battery pack I am sure is dead.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 08, 2008 11:11PM
rgG

My D-10 has problems playing longer CDs. It was still working last year. I dropped the battery pack (that took 8 or 10 C-batteries) when it was about 6 years old and it shattered.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 09, 2008 04:25AM
yeah, but I have 2 copies of Styx Paradise Theater on vinyl, laser etched.

I got rid of my diskman decades ago. no oversampling. In a real car, with real power, it skipped.
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 09, 2008 08:10AM
I saw the Wall concert in the Nassau Coliseum - amazing!!! And there was something in the air that night... :-)

Cary
Date: March 09, 2008 08:24AM
Racer X

I got rid of my diskman decades ago. no oversampling. In a real car, with real power, it skipped.

That's really cool! I really thought it would be worth a bundle until I searched it out. I've
never seen laser etched vinyl. I have several 100 LP's but none are etched like that.
Grateful11
Posted by: Stavs
Date: March 09, 2008 08:41AM
I've been going through a lot of my 80s/90s metal cds the past few weeks (didnt have to find them, they were prominently displayed). I've popped them on ebay and am making a mint. I just sold a Mercyful Fate CD to a guy in france for a cool $130.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 09, 2008 08:46AM
Stavs
I just sold a Mercyful Fate CD to a guy in france for a cool $130.

I preferred your pinball machine. Certainly all helping towards the pension!
Posted by: Stavs
Date: March 09, 2008 08:49AM
voodoopenguin
Stavs
I just sold a Mercyful Fate CD to a guy in france for a cool $130.

I preferred your pinball machine. Certainly all helping towards the pension!

I thought long and hard about selling some of my cd's and records. They sit on my shelf and do nothing. I will never listen to the records as I have them on cd, and the rare cds that are fetching the big money I have the rereleases, plus I have them all on my ipod. I figure let them take up space in someone elses house who can enjoy them sitting there doing nothing. Right now the cash interests me more smiling smiley

BTW...High Speed has since been replaced by a Whirlwind pinball machine-I'm George Jefferson movin on up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 08:51AM by Stavs.
Date: March 09, 2008 09:13AM
That is a thought but my "target" CD aren't going to bring anywhere near that amount,
maybe $15-30 a piece. I just hate letting go of the few only things that connect me with my past.

Grateful11
Posted by: Silencio
Date: March 09, 2008 12:49PM
I still have quite a few of my 80s records and CDs. Some have aged very well, some not so much. Interesting that a lot of kids in their teens/early 20s today are into a lot of the music I was listening to as a teen myself; makes me feel a little bit less like a dinosaur.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 09, 2008 03:54PM
Grateful11
Racer X

That's really cool! I really thought it would be worth a bundle until I searched it out. I've
never seen laser etched vinyl. I have several 100 LP's but none are etched like that.
Grateful11

Heart did a few, and i have them, and autographed too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 421
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020