advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SURPRISING new fave Olympic sport!!
Posted by: davester
Date: February 17, 2006 07:45PM
I didn't think this would be a particularly interesting sport, but after watching it, I'm suddenly hooked. The sport...Women's Biathlon.

Where do I begin?

First off (for the guys here), the women are all beautiful, in a totally athletic, buff, confident and capable way, not the "I'm a decoration" pinup way.

Second, the competitive demands are insanely difficult. These women must transition several times over the course from a completely aerobic, whole body workout (the skiing part), to a calm, precision activity where finesse is everything (the shooting part), then back to full on aerobics again. For every shot they miss they have to do extra skiing before reentering the main ski course.

Third, the competition demands 100% out of these women. Almost all of them put so much effort into getting across that finish line that they collapse into the snow and lie there virtually unconscious until the oxygen percolates back into their body. The scene 20 feet beyond the finish line looked like a war zone.

Fourth, there are a lot of competitors. There were something like 80 competitors on the course at one time for the event I watched and it so the action was non-stop.

Right after watching biathlon, I watched the men's curling. Talk about your couch potato sport. I thought it would have been more interesting though if the guys with the brooms had been wearing french maid outfits.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SURPRISING new fave Olympic sport!!
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 17, 2006 08:05PM
I was soooo afraid that you were going to say "curling". grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: February 17, 2006 08:06PM
davester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right after watching biathlon, I watched the men's
> curling. Talk about your couch potato sport. I
> thought it would have been more interesting though
> if the guys with the brooms had been wearing
> french maid outfits.

I was with you until your last sentence. Change "interesting" to "disgusting" and I'll give you an amen.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 17, 2006 08:10PM
NOTHING BEATS WOMEN'S BEACH VOLLEYBALL.

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: SURPRISING new fave WINTER Olympic sport!!
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: February 17, 2006 08:17PM
^^ Fixed that for ya. ^^
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: February 17, 2006 08:21PM
Did someone say Women's Curling?

I loved watching it the other day....First time in years I've seen a women work a broom.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 17, 2006 08:22PM
Paul F would marry each and every one of them, if he could catch them.

Was it a US broadcast that showed the Bi-Athalon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 08:22PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 17, 2006 08:24PM
davester;

If you've ever done any competitive shooting, you'd be even MORE impressed...
Hitting the targets they do with their heart rate and respiration still going full-blast from the skiing is an incredible feat!

Also consider that since it's a shooting sport, the participants get pretty much ZERO off year support or recognition. Except for the olympics and a very few international competitions, these women (and men in the mens biathalon) train alone.
There are no crowds.
No spectators.
Their names are never in their local paper... not even below the standings of the local Jr High School football scores.

You might want to consider donating a few dollars to the national governing body for the Biathalon.

And, come the next summer games... you might want to watch the Indoor 3 and 4 position rifle competition.. Not nearly so athletic, but the amount of concentration the shooters put in is palpable.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 17, 2006 08:25PM
<Paul F would marry each and every one of them, if he could catch them.

That's a mighty big IF... grinning smiley

But hell yeah....

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 17, 2006 08:26PM
But Ludmilla Yankyerpeteroff is a bit thick waisted. Watcha gonna do?
Posted by: shadow
Date: February 17, 2006 08:27PM
rgG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was soooo afraid that you were going to say
> "curling".

Hey, now. There's are whole host of events you could have picked on:

Short track
Pursuit
Snowboard cross
Ice Dancing

but you had to go pick on poor, defenseless curling.

You're on notice, pal.

- Shadow

Posted by: (vikm)
Date: February 17, 2006 11:45PM
I'm more impressed with the bi-athalon after finding out they feel the need to cheat like other sports...

[www.nbcolympics.com]

I've never seen a better looking chick named Olga in my life.
Date: February 17, 2006 11:47PM
and I'll also add that I was pleasantly surprised to see how good looking the sisters on the US Curling team are. ratings for that event should be up just due to that.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 18, 2006 12:03AM
I thought this thread was going to be about plumbing...damn : )

I dont know man, curling is a puzzle to me and last Olympics I got a bit fascinated by the whole thing. Pretty cool the way they control that, whatever its called, with the damn broom. speed and direction.

Biathalon, yeah those folks are in shape and it is intense.

I can't stand the show off sports...snowboarding, mogul skiing, and whatever else. They might as well be playing frisbee...making "fantastic" catches between the legs or behind the back and getting judged. The ice dancing and figure skating in general has me in a fit this time.

Man, the girl who pulled air and took a freking dive in the snowboarding cross ought to just fess up and say that she fk'd up big time and get on with it, she really comes off as sort of a loser when she tries to explain it away.

sorry, sort of a repeat post from a post I made last night. Womens Hockey is still GREAT....to bad for the american women, oh well...I think When Olympic hockey gets cranked up its one of the best of winter games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 12:06AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: February 18, 2006 07:40AM
Wife and I have been watching all week and have developed a real liking for curling. Last night she had her iBook at hand so looked up the rules and she really got into it. It's a strange sport, but once we understood the scoring, etc. we liked it. However, I don't think it will ever catch on here in the Texas Hill Country. Nine pins played in the small social clubs on the rural back roads appears to be our equivalent to curling.
Date: February 18, 2006 09:24AM
vikm;

Guess you didn't READ the whole story...

Russian officials at the Olympics explained that a doctor treating Pyleva for an ankle injury in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk gave her an over-the-counter medication in January that did not list the banned substance.

"This was 100 percent the physician's mistake,'' Dr. Nikolai Durmanov, head of the Russian Anti-Doping Committee, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

And yes, she is extremely hot!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 09:25AM by Paul F..
Date: February 18, 2006 09:13PM
uhhh, yeah. I suppose one could believe the convenience of that excuse. At that level, how can anything be given to an athlete without knowing what potential there is for fault or looking into it further before accepting treatment? hmmmm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020