The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Older G4's best one to upgrade?? and Ethernet questions
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 18, 2006 03:37PM
Hi all,

(Older meaning pre mirror drive door)

I want to buy an older G4. I've seen a lot of these for sale on Craigs for 2-3 hundred dollars.

1) Are there any of the older G4's that are NOT wise to buy if you are going to upgrade the processor?

2) Any that have particular advantages in terms of processor upgradeability?

3) What does "AGP" or "non AGP" mean?

Most of the ones I find are in the 400-450 megahertz range...good prices, sometimes $150 or $200...

4) Anyone have a source for 200 feet of CAT 6 ethernet cable with ends(jacks?)

Thanks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 03:39PM by Kraniac.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Older G4's best one to upgrade?? and Ethernet questions
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: February 18, 2006 03:44PM
For the Cat, I'd watch CL for that. I missed out on a deal of 500' for $20 (though it was cat5). Ends and crimper can be purchased at Lowe's.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 18, 2006 03:53PM
Cruse the OWC site to see which are the best processor upgradeable
Stay away from the early "Yikes" machines that had PCI video--Sawtooths had AGP (it is the connector for the video card)
Go here and happy reading
[www.everymac.com]
I have a Giga G4/400 coming up and a friend has a QuickSilver 800 destined for eBay soon also.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 18, 2006 04:00PM
IMHO it seldom makes sense to upgrade unless you already own a machine that has a bunch of options you want to keep. It makes much more sense (and is much cheaper) to figure out the specs for the machine you want to end up with and buy that instead.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 18, 2006 04:01PM
what do you want to use the machine for?
Posted by: JTman
Date: February 18, 2006 04:01PM
Most folks recommend the models that had Digital Audio at the very least - check everymac.com for a rundown of the G$ tower models and specs.

Also, seems like I've heard that the 733 was a dog - the cache was crippled or something like that.

Good luck,

JT
Date: February 18, 2006 04:20PM
hmm,

Well, I have a G5 that i use for imaging and some light sound and video stuff. this machine will be used primarily for biz paerwork, internet...some larger downloads, scanning and perhaps trnsferring older sound files from a roland digi workstation to computer based recording programs..I have to essentially re-record onto the comp because the Roland files are proprietary...lots of different stuff.

the thing is is that in the immediate sense, I will be using this for biz paperwork and internet stuff...in the furure I would consider taking some of the duties of the G% over to this one so I can multi task a bit more.

Im replacing a Beige G3 which is actually running smooth as hell for basic paperwork and internet...I want to get something a bit more up to date with Firewire & such plus be able to run OS 10 nicely. Classic on this has reached its limit, especially after being on OS 10...thats about it. the older G4 strains get very confusing and occasionally I see warnings about certain machines...

It is ver difficult to identify which of these machines is on sale when you see them listed because lots of folk dont know what they have and Im not tecched up macwise enough to know by straight specs..

Sorry for the long ass post...

thanks
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 18, 2006 04:25PM
I'd seriously consider a MacMini. If you care to wait around for refurbs, they can be had for $400.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 18, 2006 04:28PM
Unless you have some sort of pci cards you need to install, why not just get a refurb mini for around $350 or whatever they go for.

Otherwise, supposedly the digital audio ones are the best lowest machines, although they still are very upgradeable from the sawtooth on up.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 18, 2006 04:56PM
and another vote for a mini -- really sound perfect for you

and if you dont mind making your own cable, try lowes or home depot for bulk stuff

of course, $20 for 250 feet

[www.pccables.com]
Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 18, 2006 04:58PM
I'm not so sure that the G4 would have to be upgraded. They are very capable machines just the way they are. Boost the ram and you are good for most of what you want to use it for. If you do have to upgrade, then get the mini.
Date: February 18, 2006 05:50PM
iaJim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not so sure that the G4 would have to be
> upgraded. They are very capable machines just the
> way they are. Boost the ram and you are good for
> most of what you want to use it for. If you do
> have to upgrade, then get the mini.

not a bad point -- maybe something like a dual 533 or a maybe a 933 --looks like 933s are sorta cheap -- i used to love my 933

[computers.search.ebay.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 18, 2006 06:29PM
A mini? Did you guys read the part about scanning and working with sound files?

A G4 tower is a better choice, I think.

The ones you want to avoid for sure are the non-AGP models.
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 18, 2006 07:00PM
Get a Digital Audio G4/533DP, and you'll be all set. Nice units are going for $250-$300 on eBay. I am using one right now, and it's been *heavily upgraded* because I have to have a 2nd heavy duty workhorse PowerMac in my studio...and I didn't want to spend $1500 on another G5 tower. My G5 1.8GHz DP was just replaced by Apple Computer because of 4 major hardware failures under warranty, so I'm awfully lucky to have this G4.

Now the Mac= G4 1.8GHz DP (Giga Designs)/120GB & 40GB HDs/1.5GB RAM/SIIG USB 2.0 PCI card/SIIG 4-port FireWire PCI card/DVR-109/Radeon 8500 Mac Edition.

There's no way a Mac Mini can do all of the things this machine can do now. While I wait for my new Dual Core G5 to be built and shipped to me, the G4 will be my main machine. Thank the lord I upgraded it...who would've thought my G5 would have to be replaced?

For the kind of work you're proposing for your 2nd Mac, the OEM G4/533DP setup should be adequate. However, if you want to upgrade the CPUs, I prefer what I have, the Giga Designs CPU line of upgrades. They've been around for more than 4 years now, and are financially stable, and technically superior to all the other brands IMO. I love OWC, but if you wanted to buy a DP upgrade for a Digital Audio G4, they don't have anything except Sonnet's, which will cost you $599+. I paid $498 at DayStar for the 1.8GHz DP Giga Designs upgrade, and it's worked fantastic since day No. 1.

Good luck, and hope this helped.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Date: February 18, 2006 07:40PM
ka jowct Wrote:
> A mini? Did you guys read the part about scanning
> and working with sound files?
>

i did that on my quadra 660AV... =)

Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 18, 2006 07:56PM
jdc Wrote:
> i used to love my 933
>
>

Oh oh...if jdc doesn't love his 933 then something bad must have happened! What was it, jdc?

P.S. I have a 933 that I'm not planning on replacing for at least two more years.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 18, 2006 08:55PM
jdc, I did some sound editing (many years ago) with a IIci and a Farallon MacRecorder, but I'm guessing this guy needs a little more drive capacity and processing power.

I had a lot of fun making custom alert sounds from a British sci-fi series. I had Sounds4Fun so I made sound suitcases for different system functions (startup, shutdown, empty trash, insert disk, eject disk, caps lock on, caps lock off, etc.) containing a bunch of sounds, and set up Sounds4Fun to randomize the sounds that got played back. I loved Sounds4Fun. I wish it existed for OS X.

I still have the IIci and the MacRecorder. On Macs with two serial ports, you could hook up two of those recorders and record in stereo.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 18, 2006 09:21PM
YOu sure can do audio and scanning and such on a mini. you'd have a better video card and you can use firewire for extra drives. I don't see any reason at all to get a G4 and then upgrade it instead if he doesn't need internal drives or pci cards.

I mean heck, at $250 for a G4 plus around $500 for an upgrade card you could practically get a refurb G5 iMac.

Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: February 18, 2006 09:24PM
I upgraded from a beige to a dual G4/450 "gigabit ethernet" machine specifically so that I could keep and continue to use all my PC100 ram. I also transfered my USB card and my ide drive straight over. I paid $250 for my machine including a 17" monitor. I got it locally on Craig's list so there was no shipping cost. I have been using this machine for almost 1 year and I have never had a kernel panic. (Cocktail reboots it once a week on Monday morning at 5:30 AM.)

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Date: February 18, 2006 10:58PM
Wow,

Thanks for all that everyone, lots of crap to think to think about including...did the US win against The Slovakian team in Hockey today? good game then I had to go. Also, That Shani Davis, the speedskater, I like his story, but he seems to be a bit bitter about something. Dang, first bro to get an individual gold in the wointers...he should be HAPPY. why do these dudes let things tarnish their Olympic thang?

Im gonna mull this g4 stuff around. I generally dont like being limited by boxes like imacs or minis but the price/preformance thing is sort of tempting. I would like to have a second internal drive to keep data on...lots of chunky files I deal with sometimes...I do a lot of large prints which come from large scans.

not sure what to do...there is a point at which I could almost get a dual mmd g4 or a bottom end G5 for the bucks, after upgrading and peripheral crap. not quite but almost.

hmm again.
Date: February 19, 2006 05:04AM
add a drive to the mini -- like this

[eshop.macsales.com]

dont know if its still out there -- but 20" G5 isight iMacs are $1350
Date: February 19, 2006 06:38AM
jdc...so, what turned you off of the 933???
Date: February 19, 2006 11:55AM
i upgraded long ago -- now running 2 dual 1.25s, dual 1.8 G5 and a dual 2.0 G5

but the 933 always felt like a snappy machine

sold it to a friend and i still play with it from time to time -- OS 9 flys, btw
Date: February 19, 2006 12:30PM
thanks jdc...was worried that you'd found some flaw with it. Mine is still going strong and, like I said, I won't be replacing it anytime soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020