advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone know cleveland?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: March 21, 2008 10:10PM
i need to take my daughter on a college tour of case western reserve.

if u know cleveland, perhaps u can share some thoughts:

do i need to rent a car to go from the airport to case?
do u know the area where case western is located?
places to stay near case/little italy?

care to share general thoughts on either cleveland or case western?

thanks in advance

be well

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone know cleveland?
Posted by: slbett
Date: March 22, 2008 12:05AM
I would rent a car. Never know what the weather will be like when you get here. You can take the Rapid Transit from airport to University Circle. Can walk from there. University Circle is a nice area. As their web page says, a nice safe haven in the city. You might want to stop at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Theaters, museums and the sports stadiums aren't far and are new (stadiums). General rule is to stay between university and downtown for safety, I have two daughters. One daughter went to John Carroll. We live 30 miles east of Cleveland. We see the Indians play quite often with kids and grandkids. We park several blocks away and walk. Cleveland Clinic-University Hospitals are right there and are world renown. Can't recommend a place to stay since we only drive into town.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 22, 2008 04:04AM
It's been way to many years since I was forced to fly to company headquarters in Cleveland. The elevated from the airport wasn't much of a transit system back then.

cbelt can probably help but only if you're willing to put up with a 10 minute anti Kucinich rant.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: andypie48
Date: March 22, 2008 09:38AM
You can take the Rapid Transit train directly from the stop right in the airport terminal to a stop near University Circle and then walk, take a bus or get a cab from there. Depends on how much luggage you have. If you rent a car, the parking situation is not that terrible, except at the Cleveland Clinic. Rent right at the airport.

There is an Intercontinental hotel which serves the Cleveland Clinic nearby. You could also use the Airport hotel, used to be a Hilton? which has good weekend rates. Downtown Cleveland is on the rapid transit line and on the bus line with no transfers to CWRU and has lots of hotels, unless they are full-up for a major event, like a sports event. The Marriot is really nice. I really recommend spending some time downtown.

If you stay downtown there is lots of music in the Flats and the Warehouse District. I particularly recommend the food at fat Fish Blue and at the Mallorca restaurants downtown.

rapid transit:
[www.gcrta.org]
maps & schedules:
[www.gcrta.org]
eat & stay: [www.universitycircle.org]
university circle guide:[www.cleveland.com]
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 22, 2008 10:50AM
Yeah, I know Cleveland. Nice guy, but don't loan him any money! winking smiley

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: andypie48
Date: March 22, 2008 11:06AM
oh yeah, and if you have time to go out, be sure and listen to Kristine Jackson....live. Her recordings just don't do her justice.

[profile.myspace.com]

[www.parkviewniteclub.com]

about two miles West of downtown on Detroit Ave.

Try to make your trip as much like what your daughter will be doing as possible....transportation, entertainment, etc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2008 02:02PM
I went to Case. In the 70's, for Engineering. The info you've been given above is pretty good. The immediate neighborhood around the university (University Circle) is well patrolled and pretty safe. The neighborhoods to the east and west of the University (along Euclid Boulevard) are NOT safe by any stretch of the imagination.

The best (and most common) route to drive into the university area is to take I-71 North from the airport, hang a right at "Deadman's Curve" onto I-90 East, and get off at Martin Luther King drive, going south. Most map programs will tell you do go down Chester. Don't drive that road at night. Seriously. MLK is a 'gilded age' parkway from the 1910's, with parks all along it, a few traffic circles, and the Museum areas at the end. It's a nice drive.

Chester is basic Rust Belt post-nuclear war landscape on parts of it, with the gleaming Cleveland Clinic facilities spreading out close to the University.

Lodging is available on campus (I think) or in the University Circle area. There are also hotels at the Cleveland Clinic campus, which is just east of the University Circle and is also safe. Alternately you can go for lodging in the Airport area.

Parking at the university area is usually pretty bad, but if you're coming for a planned tour, they'll take care of you.

PM me if you want information about dorms and such. Even tho it's been some time, they really havent' changed.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2008 02:04PM
Oh, and a car will help you get the lay of the land. The Rapid transit is okay, but I would not recommend if if you're going to be finding a hotel.

And finally, yes, Dennis Kucinich is a moron. But he doesn't represent the district that contains University Circle, so you're okay.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 22, 2008 06:19PM
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 22, 2008 07:01PM
Hey, I miss UFO Dennis—he added a lot of humor to the presidential race.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Cleveland rocks!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 22, 2008 08:42PM
That's all I know.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020