advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
While we're on the subject of cleaning supplies...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 19, 2006 06:32PM
I need something to scrub with, that will work on optical grade plastic, without scratching it. What I've been using so far are plastic pot scrubbers, which work OK, but do scratch up the plastic a bit. Ideally, it would be something non-sponge-like, so as not to soak up bacteria and be reusable many times. (The plastic potscrubbers have become nearly impossible for me to find, it seems almost everyone is selling the metal versions, which obviously does me no good.)

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: While we're on the subject of cleaning supplies...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 19, 2006 06:43PM
what are you trying to clean?
Date: February 19, 2006 06:46PM
Matt, do you need to ask? winking smiley

Froggie enclosures, of course...

Some are glass, but some are plastic that would be best kept clear-- they always seem to get scratched up.

Posted by: Carm
Date: February 19, 2006 06:46PM
EDIT: Auto Headlight polish? Not safe for your pets.

Bug scrubber that are sold in auto parts stores. Similar to the plastic scrubbers you are referring to, but these have a sponge inside. You would have to take the sponge out to prevent the bacteria growth.

Carm

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 07:01PM by Carm.
Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: February 19, 2006 07:01PM
[www.homemadesimple.com]
along with
[www.brillianize.com]
or
[www.noscratch.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 07:04PM by jeffNOTjon.
Date: February 19, 2006 07:02PM
Carm and jeffNOTjon, oops, should have included in the original message-- of course, for this purpose, it has to be absolutely nontoxic. So any sort of polish is out.

The plastic scrubbers with sponge inside, I've seen those-- I just couldn't see any big advantage over the plastic potscrubber I've been using, except that maybe it might be a bit more gentle as the plastic surface seems to be a bit finer. The spong part, I guess wouldn't be a problem if I just discard them after a few uses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 07:03PM by PeterB.
Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: February 19, 2006 07:07PM
Had we known of the non-toxic angle....

[www.northcoastmarines.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 19, 2006 07:12PM
Ive used the magnetic scrubbers, for the fish tank, but the salt took care of that problem.

Carm
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 19, 2006 07:14PM
You can't use acrylic scrubbers from the pet store?
Date: February 19, 2006 07:17PM
Eh, too complicated. I'm just looking for something cheap, simple, nontoxic, etc... I could just use regular sponges, but of course those will become bacteria city, and I'd end up going through a lot of 'em.

Edit: MacMagus, I'll take a look at those the next time I'm there... I hadn't even thought of that. (Remember, I'm keeping frogs, NOT fish... so I am not thinking in terms of aquariums... and further, these are treefrogs, not aquatic species...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 07:19PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 19, 2006 07:51PM
Try going to [www.thatpetplace.com] . They have a great selection of products at good prices. Most stuff costs about 50% of what you'd pay at the large pet chains. If you're ever in lancaster, pa, they have a really nice @#$%& section. The entire store is huge.

Stavs
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 19, 2006 07:54PM
your comment about optical plastic through me for a loop. i thought you were talking cameras for a second.
Date: February 19, 2006 08:22PM
Yup, this is regular, run-of-the-mill plastic, but it's good enough to shoot decent camera shots through, and if possible I'd like to keep it that way...

Stavs, unfortunately, I'm not near Lancaster, PA. But probably you missed my earlier post: [forums.macresource.com]

... Glades @#$%& is considered "the" place to get stock from. I still haven't decided what to use my credit for... I am still debating A. callidryas, P. resinifictrix, H. regilla, or H. gratiosa. (I see that the link to the pic of P. resinifictrix disappeared-- probably the owner of the link was annoyed at my hotlinking... but you can see what this species looks like by Googling, they have a really interesting appearance.)

Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 19, 2006 09:16PM
Check out your local Dollar Store. They often sell things similar to the Algae Pads for Fish Tanks in 10 packs for a $1 (so .10ยข each disposable enough?) Pretty cheap and the abrasive side is not that rough, will not scratch things up too much.

Also consider Aquarium Filter Pads. Some of the make your own type pads could be cut to size.

If your local Herptile dealer carries fish also, ask if he orders from a company called Ginger Pet Products. They make 3rd Party Aquarium Filter Pads and often use the extra scrap material for filler in the box when they ship. His trash could be your solution.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 19, 2006 10:47PM
Along the lines of what ArtP just said. Have you ever thought about using the filter material like you use for furnace filters? It is slightly abraasive like the aquarium filter, just not as dense. Some hardware stores sell it in rolls or you can buy it by the foot. Ask for filter material for hammock type filters. I have a roll upstairs right now, because our furnace in the attic has that type of filter. You could also just get the cheapo box style furnace filters and just cut the filter material out in small pieces. Just a thought. Might or might not work. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 20, 2006 01:39AM
Not sure if these will work but 3M makes pot cleaner pads that are supposed to be "scratch-free" ( made for the non stick pans)

I think made from recycled material. . .again. .. Don't know if it will work. . .you might have to read the packages. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2006 01:41AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: February 20, 2006 09:37AM
Thanks everybody for suggestions.

I'm guessing MacMagus is right, something that is made to clean acrylic should work fine and shouldn't scratch... I will inquire on my next trip for crix... have to be careful of anything abrasive, that will scratch the plastics.

Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 20, 2006 09:46AM
I still think you should mail order from [www.thatpetplace.com] and get the right product for your acrylic aquarium. Cheap insurance knowing you'll get the right product that wont do any damage.

Stavs
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 20, 2006 10:34AM
I'm curious- are you concerned about outgassing from the plastic enclosure ? Glass always seemed to be the best bet for me- inert as hell, hard, easy to clean with any number of tools.
Date: February 20, 2006 11:31AM
Stavs, it doesn't justify the price of shipping; and I'll probably have to go to the pet store anyway for crix...

cbelt3, outgassing from regular plastic (not acrylic)? Glass has the disadvantages of breakability and weight...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020