advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Something telle me this is going to be an interesting Olympics...
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 07, 2008 09:54AM
PARIS (AP) - Security officials extinguished the Olympic torch three times Monday as protests against China's human rights record turned a relay through Paris into a chaotic series of stops and starts.

Despite massive security, at least two activists got within almost an arm's length of the flame before they were grabbed by police. Officers tackled many protesters and carried off some of them. A protester threw water at the torch but failed to extinguish it and was also taken away.

(more)

[apnews.myway.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Something telle me this is going to be an interesting Olympics...
Posted by: slbett
Date: April 07, 2008 10:06AM
With the internet, we have almost instant global awareness. Protest along the route but stay away from the torch bearers. These are people from their own country and not China honoring the sport and not committing any crimes. Politics don't belong in sports. Too bad this won't last long on this side.
Posted by: will2000
Date: April 07, 2008 10:14AM
OK, Politics don't belong in sports.

However, dictators love using the Olympics to show their country in a good light.
Just look at Hitler and the 1936 Olympics. Did you see the Jesse Owens movie?

I think the IOC needs to keep the Olympics away from such venues. Giving it to Communist China was a big mistake.

Edit: (add):
The IOC will be to blame if there are any boycotts. Imagine the poor athletes who've trained hard to get to the Olympics, but are not allowed to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2008 10:19AM by will2000.
Posted by: slbett
Date: April 07, 2008 10:20AM
Let's hope the people in San Francisco can show some restraint.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 07, 2008 10:43AM
Ha! That's soda-out-the-nose funny slbett....

San Franciso...
Restraint...

Ha!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Cap'n Rusty
Date: April 07, 2008 10:48AM
[www.theonion.com]
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 07, 2008 10:51AM
the staging of the olympics has often been a political event

the actual games often has less politics

i have NO trouble with folks around the globe protesting china's human rights violations

i look forward to the good people of sf also showing their dismay

ymmv

be well

rob
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: April 07, 2008 11:09AM
>>>>>Just look at Hitler and the 1936 Olympics.

Hitler wasn't in the stadium when it came time to present awards for Jesse. That whole "handshake" thing is bullsh!t. Hitler was advised that he must greet all medal winners or none, as a result of his Day 1 activities, where he presented medals to German athletes. He chose to be "spectator only" after Day 1 and presented no medals to anyone.

He did "avoid" Cornelius Johnson, another black athlete that won US gold, by leaving before the award ceremony -- but that also means he avoided siver and bronze for the event as well. And for all we know - history has yet to produce any answers, to my knowledge, as to why he left early. He might have had a Messerschmidt to clean off his desk that day, and perhaps THAT's why he departed early.

Otherwise -- they (Germans) won more gold than anyone that year -- and FDR snubbed Jesse when they came home. So did Truman in the years that passed. Eisenhower/Nixon finally named him as Sports Ambassador 20 years after his medals. The German crowd cheered him graciously for his wins, and were, like most crowds, very Pro Athlete, regardless of country origin in 1936.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2008 11:11AM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: April 07, 2008 11:13AM
will2000
OK, Politics don't belong in sports.

Politics have been tied to the Olympics as long as I can remember. Mexico City with the Black Power fist. Lake Placid, and especially the US-USSR Hockey game. Then the Cold War boycotts: Moscow then L.A. And there there are the countries that would NEVER have been considered like S. Africa under apartheid. Lucky for China they are bigger than S.A. The IOC should have seen this coming. Not only the Tibet issue, but Falun Gong, etc, etc.

But even still it's not the IOC's ultimate mission to award hosting based on how altruistic a country is. I don't really like nation originated boycotts because it's not fair to the athletes. (What does the world know about China that it did not know when China was awarded the games?). Now if the athletes get together and say they won't play in China like many artists refused to play at Sun City that is completely different and noble.
Posted by: will2000
Date: April 07, 2008 11:16AM
Thanks, Jimmy. I never looked into the facts behind the '36 Olympics. I just saw the movie, and was inspired by Jesse Owens.
Don't you just love the "artistic license" by movie directors?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: April 07, 2008 11:31AM
If the IOC isn't political, then why is Taiwan's national team forced to use the name "Chinese Tapei", and they are not allowed to display their flag or play their national anthem?
Date: April 07, 2008 11:33AM
Jesse was quoted as saying "Hitler didn't snub me, FDR did."

I know it's easy to Goog -- I saw it when I couldn't recall the athlete who won the first medal. Guy wrote a book recently about Jesse.

I also saw some pheonetic spellings of the crowd cheers at one sit -- "Yessah Ovens!"

Which almost sounds old south -- but as anyone who had high school german (or worse) knows... Germans don't say "J" nor "W" like we do. Think "Ja" for yes.

"Yessie" might have been more accurate --- and "O (long O) Vens" would be right on the mark.

It's a movie, think JFK as a fellow example.

There are at least two other theories that are just as good as the one posited by the movie, although the KGB Colonel who handled Oswald in Mexico and in Russia when he defected, noted that SOMEBODY made him a patsy -- because he was too stupid (young, dumb, full of......) for anything else, and noted that Garrison's theory was, in his judgment as a psychologist/detective/spy for 35 years, to be the most accurate of the lines of pursuit to follow. (I have his book..... Oleg something.... it was a very good book that included looking into open KGB archives).

But hey....... WRONG Olympics!!

I hope all my 1980 USA in Russia bumper stickers and decals are worth something! I've got a good sized handful by accident! I asked for samples from a manufacturer in 1981 or 1982 -- and I guess since they had LOTS, they used those for all sizes of peel and stick and water soak SAMPLES to send away.

The bear looks so cute without an SS-18 in his paws!!

His radar operator status for U2s made him interesting -- but then again, he is the ONLY American to have ever returned from the Soviet Union to NOT be debriefed by the CIA.
Date: April 07, 2008 11:35AM
How about the US/USSR basketball game??

I still think RollerBall should be a sport.....
Posted by: billb
Date: April 07, 2008 11:44AM
the very founding of the olympics was steeped in politics

the Olympic games are hardly the venue of solely dicators.
anyone with an axe to grind will use the whole world watching as a source to make a statement.

the 1972 Summer Olympics are probebly the worst of my memory.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 07, 2008 12:15PM
the IOC is getting exactly what they deserve.

I hope the Olympics only brings more attention to China's human rights violations. Of course, the IOC will try to keep that far away from the cameras.

Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: April 07, 2008 12:26PM
mattkime
I hope the Olympics only brings more attention to China's human rights violations. /quote]

It will and then the Olympics will be over and we'll all go back to buying our Made In China crap.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 07, 2008 12:45PM
"Of course, the IOC will try to keep that far away from the cameras."

The IOC won't have to...
The Chinese government will be all over that before the IOC is even aware of anything.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 07, 2008 03:42PM
I wonder how much international protesting there would be if the Olympics were held in the USA this year.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 07, 2008 04:17PM
"Something telle me this is going to be an interesting Olympics..."

I agree

Posted by: morlock
Date: April 07, 2008 06:18PM
Given that sports are a substitute for war, and our teams are defined by geopolitical boundaries, it seems to me that sports and politics go in lock-step, if not hand in hand...
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 07, 2008 08:59PM
hal
"Something telle me this is going to be an interesting Olympics..."

I agree

Damn. I'm inclined to make some bad joke about a pole vault, but I'll refrain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020