advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chair rail and baseboard trim
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 16, 2008 07:58PM
Okay, we're at the final stages of our kitchen re-do. My wife wallpapered last weekend and now it's up to me to do the char rail and baseboard trim. Part of me want to just take the lazy man's route and use liquid nails or some other adhesive. I don't have (and don't intend to rent) a pneumatic nailer. I know if I try to just nail the pieces on, then I'll need a nail set and have to putty the nail holes and more than likely I'll split more than one piece of wood and get all pi$$ed off. I suppose I could pre-drill before I nail, but that's a PITA, too.

So I guess the quick question is...what is the downside that I'm not thinking of if I go with using adhesive rather than nails? There must be a downside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2008 08:08PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chair rail and baseboard trim
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: April 16, 2008 08:06PM
The downside is that liquid nails is not always reliable and it will make a mess if you ever need to remove the trim. If it was just a small piece I might say, no downside, but for an entire room Karma will get ya and you will curse the day you glued trim to your walls.
Posted by: slbett
Date: April 16, 2008 08:16PM
1. You need a way to hold in place while glue sets. Hope it stays tight, chair will be hardest.

2. you can't glue to wall paper because it will pull the paper down if hit with
something and it would be only as strong as the wall paper paste.

3. You will pull the paper and damage the the surface (drywall) underneath if you need to replace, move or change chair rail. Just like hanging paper without sizing the wall first.

Drilling, nailing and then filling holes isn't much harder than gluing chair rail and holding in place until it sets and hope you are lucky enough to not get any glue on the new paper.

Sorry you really need to get your hammer out.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 16, 2008 08:24PM
As long as you don't nail near the edge of the trim, it won't split. One nail per stud should hold it unless your walls are wavy.

I would not use liquid nails for such a project. If you ever want to remove it, you will curse using liquid nails.
Date: April 16, 2008 08:34PM
Alrighty then. Thanks for the quick replies. I kind of figured nails would be the better way. I guess it's.....wait for it....

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 16, 2008 08:35PM
>
> As long as you don't nail near the edge of the trim, it won't split.
>

When you do need to nail near an edge or in very narrow stock, an old trim carpenters trick
is to dull the point on the nail by tapping the point with a hammer. It will keep it from splitting the wood.

Date: April 16, 2008 08:43PM
So (and I can't believe I'm even asking this) I'm betting I should nail through the thick part, eh? I do see some webites that show nailing through the thin part. And one nail every stud?

What about the baseboard? Two nails (near top and bottom of baseboard) every stud?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 16, 2008 09:11PM
lafinfil
>
> As long as you don't nail near the edge of the trim, it won't split.
>

When you do need to nail near an edge or in very narrow stock, an old trim carpenters trick
is to dull the point on the nail by tapping the point with a hammer. It will keep it from splitting the wood.

That works well. Take a bunch of nails to some concrete or an anvil and give them a moderate tap.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 16, 2008 09:13PM
Baseboard is a bit easier. If you nail less than an inch from the bottom, you should hit the sill plate. This number may vary a bit depending on how thick your flooring is.

For the chair rail, I would nail diagonally down right in the middle of the second indent from the top and diagonally up just below the second indent from the bottom. I would be careful about nailing in the area that has the relief behind it. You can nail in this area, just be careful not snap the trim by hitting it too hard. A pneumatic nailer would eliminate this issue.

As I use a pneumatic nailer, a few extra nails here and there don't bother me as I don't have to set them. A little wood putty and a quick sanding and I'm done.

In the future, I would put the chair rail and baseboard up first. You nail the trim in place, run small beads of caulk to hide the seams, and paint the trim. You don't have to be too careful cutting in when painting. Then put up the wall paper. Use a large taping knife as a straight edge and a sharp knife to trim the paper flush with the trim. This is how the pros do it.
Posted by: slbett
Date: April 16, 2008 09:25PM
The baseboard should be nailed higher and into a stud. If you nail low, You tend to make it roll under and pull away from wall at top. You need to find the studs for the chair rail so just follow down for base.

A little tip. The box for the outlets are nailed to one side or the other of a stud. Pull cover and look for the stud. Measure from corner and move the line up so you can start checking at 16" centers by putting one nail under where chair rail is going and measure both ways.

Both should be nailed through the thick spot of trim. If you are using a hardwood, it would be better to pre-drill so you don't split or bend the nail and leave the famous half moon. Pine or poplar can be nailed without drilling most of the time as long as you don't nail into a knot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2008 09:32PM by slbett.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 17, 2008 06:29AM
just be careful. you don't want to end up like this guy...

Posted by: zachdog
Date: April 17, 2008 07:57AM
My experience is that Liquid Nails is bad stuff. If it goes on wrong it's a tough fix.

Pre-drill your holes and you won't split the wood. It takes about 5-10 more minutes total, and it's well worth it.
Posted by: raz
Date: April 17, 2008 08:23AM
Even easier than pre-drilling ... get a nail spinner. It's the poor man's (or at least one who cannot amortize an air nailer over enough jobs) air nailer.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020