advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, why doesn't the search function work properly in Mail 2.0?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 22, 2006 01:56PM
The search function only seems to work for "From", "To", or "Subject", but not "Entire message" (always returns nothing)-- this is a real pain, because I'd like to be able to search emails for items in the body of the message...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, why doesn't the search function work properly in Mail 2.0?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: February 22, 2006 02:18PM
what about spotlight, in general? That's what I use to find email

Date: February 22, 2006 02:24PM
Yup, Spotlight seems to work, which is why I think the problem is really with Mail itself... I just would rather be able to do this inside of Mail, because Spotlight searching is slow, and finds stuff in everything, not just inside of Mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 02:25PM by PeterB.
Posted by: shadow
Date: February 22, 2006 04:15PM
Do you have "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:" set to "All messages" (either with or without attachments) (Accounts -> Advanced)?

Without that, Mail may not be storing local copies of message bodies, thus, has nothing to search against.

Though, that wouldn't explain why Spotlight is able to search within Mail.

- Shadow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 04:16PM by shadow.
Date: February 22, 2006 04:21PM
shadow, yup, that's set.

And also, remember that searching by "from", "to", or "subject" all work fine. It's only the "entire message" option that doesn't work.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 22, 2006 05:11PM
Apple Mail sucks!

Get a real mail client like Eudora or Mailsmith and you won't have these problems.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Date: February 22, 2006 07:31PM
PeterB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And also, remember that searching by "from", "to",
> or "subject" all work fine. It's only the "entire
> message" option that doesn't work.

When Mail.app is operating in a mode where it is not keeping copies of the messages locally, it still has to keep copies of the headers. This is why it sounds like it is not keeping messages locally for some reason.

Uncheck that option, save the change, and then re-open and check the option. When I find an app that doesn't do something that it says it should be configured to do, I always cycle the preference. You'd be amazed how often that works.

After that, I would try try "Rebuild" under Mailbox.

- Shadow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 07:34PM by shadow.
Date: February 22, 2006 07:44PM
Harbourmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get a real mail client like Eudora or Mailsmith
> and you won't have these problems.

I have just under 50,000 messages stored in 52 folder taking up 840MB. I can think of only two problems I have EVER had with Mail.app:

1) When messages that get sorted by the server in folders other than the Inbox, the unread message count for that folder will be double the number of actual unread messages.

2) When multipart messages come in that have a Base64 part encoded with extra carriage returns, Mail has trouble decoding it. Now, this is actually a problem with the sender, but Mail should be smart enough to ignore the extra CRs.

I used to use Eudora - but it was slow and I would get corruption often. I tried Mailsmith before I settled on Mail, I didn't find it compelling enough to replace the system provided application. Except for the two idiosyncrasies mentions above, nary a problem with Mail.app. The funny part about me giving advise about Mail is that I've never had to take any of the steps I've recommended.

- Shadow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2006 07:45PM by shadow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020