advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anything like WMP for the Mac?
Posted by: Ironhorse
Date: February 23, 2006 03:11AM
While at a friends house that uses Windows he made a copy of a copy of a audio disk. When he started the disk in Windows Media Player it found the names of the songs and the album cover. I know iTunes does this with an original cd. Am I missing something in iTunes? Or is there something else out there?

Thanks

Iron horse
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anything like WMP for the Mac?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 23, 2006 03:41AM
I don't think you have asked a valid question so far.

Are you trying to say that iTunes won't display the song names and cover artwork when you put in a copy of a copy of a CD?
Date: February 23, 2006 04:37AM
That is exactly what I am asking.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: February 23, 2006 06:01AM
Really?

Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 23, 2006 06:09AM
When I want to make a copy that will have the track info and such I use Toast. I have it and it works. When I use iTunes I loose the track info and it could just be me. In Toast I just click copy and I get it all. I am using Toast 5 for OS 9 that with and updater works in OS X without opening up Classic. I feel certain that the newer versions work equally well.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: microchip13
Date: February 23, 2006 07:49AM
I can burn a CD just fine then recover the names.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 23, 2006 08:21AM
If you keep all tracks identical and in order on the copy, track names will be located. If you chnage even one track or the order of the songs, the name will not be located or may be incorrect.

The online databases that iTunes uses looks at the sequence of song lengths on a CD to determine the CD title and therefore the song titles. Any change to that sequence causes the problem.
Date: February 23, 2006 09:39AM
I'll try one more time to state my question. I have a copy that has no track names on the disk. It was burnt before the data base was searched. When in iTunes and I click on get track names it says it is not in the data base. BUT if you stick it into a Windows machine with WMP it has the track names and album cover before you know what happens.

Iron Horse
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 23, 2006 09:51AM
Then the copy was not made in the normal CD standard, probably something M$ does to make sure you won't be happy with it on the Mac . . .

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 23, 2006 10:13AM
I think bernie is using Toast 5.2.3 BTW. I use it too under 9 and X and it works that way for me too.

Ironhorse, it may have something to do with your iTunes settings not looking for CDDB database info.
Date: February 23, 2006 10:25AM
iTunes does a fine job IF you load an original cd into iTunes and check the CDDB, then burn a cd the titles are then on the copy. BUT if you just quickly load a cd and burn a copy you can't get the titles. Sometime I get a copy from fomeone that has just copied the cd and I can't get the track names. But you can stick it into a Windows machine running WMP and there are the tracks.
I am now giving up and just type the song titles into iTunes.

Iron Horse
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 23, 2006 10:47AM
I suspect that you're talking about a custom compilation CD that was made on the same Windows computer that you see the track names on now.

But if you tried the CD on a different Windows computer than the one that the disc was burnt on, you wouldn't see the track names.

When the CD was made, the Windows computer cached the track info so it had the names on-hand. The same thing would happen if you burnt the CD from iTunes on a Mac -- the track info is only present on the computer where the disc was burnt.

Move the CD to a different computer and as you have seen, the track info is lost.
Date: February 23, 2006 10:59AM
Here is what I am trying to say.

I live in Indiana, went to St. Louis for a weekend.

While visiting friends I made a copy of a copy on a stand alone cd burner.

Come back to Indiana and burnt another copy of the copy and gave it to my cousin.

He then stuck that cd in his windows machine with WMP and there was the titles.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 23, 2006 11:27AM
> He then stuck that cd in his windows machine with WMP and
> there was the titles.

And you're saying that on the Mac with iTunes, you couldn't get the track names.

Well that's weird. Because both the Mac and the PC use Gracenote/CDDB to look up track names.

The results should be the same unless your cousin has some third-party program that pulls the information from a different service like FreeDB.

Date: February 23, 2006 11:29AM
It may be the way that WMP scans and searches the CDDB on the internet vs the way that iTunes does it.

There is also the possibility that as Whip stated, M$ has done something, maybe even include an invisable file on the CD that the Mac can't see and doesn't effect a stand-alone CD player, but WMP on a PC can read.
Date: February 23, 2006 11:35AM
Thanks Racer X and Whip I think MS is to blame also.

Thanks

Iron Horse
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: February 23, 2006 11:51AM
Are you saying that in St. Louis CDs are square and won't fit in an Indiana CD player which only accepts oblong CDs or is it the other way around? I'm confused.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Date: February 23, 2006 11:56AM
The more I think about it, the more I can believe that M$ is mucking around with what is a worldwide accepted standard for audio CDs, and doing it secretely, just so their product appears better.

That would never, ever, in a million years happen, right?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 23, 2006 01:07PM
APPEAR better is the key.

Actually being better.... that's a key for a lock they haven't even developed yet.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate Gates?
Date: February 23, 2006 01:18PM
Microsoft has created an entire empire, whose sole purpose, is to polish turds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020