advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Epson P-2000 Multi-Media Viewer Kicks Butt w/640-pixel Movies-This post tells the story of how I got my P-2000/REALLY LONG!
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 24, 2006 12:56AM
I just had to get one of those things, the Epson P-2000 Multi-Media Viewer, with its 3.8" Photo Fine LCD 212ppi screen, capable of producing 262,144 colors. I'd use it for my photography, as a portable storage device, a place to dump my *ist DS's SD Card contents, and then go shoot some more. I could store many GBs worth of JPEG and RAW photos in a P-2000 while on a shoot, with its 40GB HDrive (36.5GB actual storage, FAT32 formatted).

Everything that I read about it said "Buy Me!" There were pages of testimonials from professional photographers on the Epson site, and at DPReview.com, and they were nothing but rave after rave. The P-2000 has a fast USB 2.0 interface for transferring files to and from my Macs. It comes with all kinds of accessories...I wouldn't need to buy anything extra because it would all be in the box: Li-Ion Rechargeable battery; AC Adapter/Charger and Power Cord; Wrist Strap; Carrying Case; Display Stand for viewing at home; USB Interface Cable...it was a complete kit and I wouldn't need to buy anything else.

[www.epson.com]

So I went P-2000 shopping. There's a $50 Factory Rebate good until 3/31/2006 also, and the best deal I could find was a discount of about $75, down to $425 at 6th Avenue Electronics, where I bought my wife the JBL 1M7 iPod Speaker System at Xmas. So I knew I could trust them. Only cost $.06 for shipping, so how could I go wrong, I thought? Well, I wasn't done yet. I just had to go see what the P-2000's were going for on eBay, so I hit my browser on over to eBay and searched for the viewer there.

Some sellers had Buy It Now! prices for new ones as low as $379 plus S&H, from about $12 to $15, and they all claimed that there was a $50 rebate to get from Epson also. So it was time to look at the rebate. I read it carefully...hmmmm, look at that: "Used, refurbished and electronic auction products are not eligible." So the nice people at eBay were not telling the whole truth about these auctions. It would be better to just buy at 6th Avenue and get the $50 Rebate, netting out at $375. But I knew there had to be a better deal somewhere. So I kept looking on eBay for about 4 days off and on.

I found an auction that was just ridiculous. Someone had simply cut and pasted a generic B&W picture of a P-2000 onto the auction format, and had copied a long description of the viewer, verbatim, cutting the word "Epson" in half at the beginning, so it read "son P-2000 Photo Viewer" etc etc etc. No explanation of where the P-2000 was coming from, the seller had 0 Feedback, and the title simply said "Epson P-2000 USA Model, Full Warranty, NEW". I just had to try this guy on for size, so I emailed him.
I asked him all about the Epson he was selling, told him the auction sucked eggs, asked why he was selling it etc. He emailed me within 15 minutes, and in the email was a message about how it was his 2nd auction, that he'd won TWO of the P2000's in a promotion at his work, and he gave me his home phone, work phone, his cell phone numbers, his address...he seemed desperate to either convince me he was real, or that he wanted to talk to me on the phone.

This was not to be believed, I thought. eBay was never like this, LOL! grinning smiley

So I called him the next day, it being about 12Noon PST, and 3PM back in Kentucky where he was, at his work. The operator seemed put off that I wanted to talk to "Dave S" but put me through to "the warehouse". Another person answered, and asked me if I really wanted to talk to "Dave S", so getting ticked off, I said to the nice lady "Yes, by all means get him on the phone! I have some news about his mother's health!!" Well that lit a fire under her desk, and next thing I knew there was some whispering and yelling after that, and finally a meek sounding man's voice said "This is Dave S....you say you have somehting to tell me about my mother?" I laughed a little, and said, ..."no no, this is the guy from eBay you gave your work number to, and I want to know about the Epson P-2000 that you're selling. Sorry about your mother, I hope she's all right."

He laughed then too, and proceeded to tell me the tall tale of how he won 2 Epson P-2000's at his job during a company picnic over Xmas week. He'd already sold one on eBay with the same ad. I incredulously asked him, "You had ANOTHER auction like that one and it worked for you?!" He said it didn't work very well, but the buyer had emailed him just like I did, and he gave HIM the same spiel, the phone numbers etc., and the auction netted 6 bids, and the 1st one sold for $365. He paid for UPS 3-Day Saver shipping, he said, and would for the auction I was interested in also. I said thank you very much for talking with me, and bid him good-bye. The auction was set to close on a Wednesday at 11 06PM PST, a very bad time I thought. Hmmm, who knows, maybe I can win this thing and not pay too much.

Somehow I trusted this guy working in an electronics warehouse in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Kentucky, so I kept track of the auction until the closing day. At 6PM there were only 3 bids on it, with an opening bid of $290, the price was $305. I thought to myself this is really crazy. Here's a brand new P-2000 and nobody's bidding on it. Used P-2000's were going for $340, $350, $360, one just went on the weekend for $376 plus shipping. This auction is too good to be true. So I watched and watched, and nothing was happening on it. 8PM, no more bids. 9PM no more...10PM...same price, $305. So I went to auctionstealer.com and hooked up the auction with my sniper account. I figured I'd have to bid at $360 or maybe $370 to win, but I keyed the snipe to go no higher than $345, and sat back and watched.

10:30 came around, and nothing was happening. Nobody was bidding on this auction! It got to be 10:55 and still no bids. Maybe people are just not going to bid on this thing because of his 0 Feedback, I thought. 11PM, nothing....11:05...nothing! Finally, I couldn't watch anymore. It was the last minute and I knew my bubble was going to burst and some sniper would bid $350 and I'd lose by $5. So I went outside on my porch and smelled the crisp night air, walked around the house, lighting up all my security lights, and came back in to get the bad news. Sugar Beets, I'd won! And better yet, I'd won it for $325!! There were no other bids...the bidder who was at $305 had bid $320 as his high bid, and the sniping software did the rest, bidding $325 with 10 seconds left in the auction.

I was shocked, but very, very happy. I just stole a new P-2000, and the whole eBay buying community had let this one slip by because of the seller's lack of credibility. Hell, all they had to to was email the guy and they'd have known what I found out about him and the P-2000s he won at his company picnic. Next morning he called and thanked me for paying him so quick via PayPal, and said he'd ship it 3-Day UPS just like he said he was going to do when I talked to him on the telephone. Five days later, a very well wrapped package from his company address arrived, and inside was the brand new P-2000, sealed, never opened, never used, UPC code intact. All was good!

Next post, I'll tell the secrets about how I discovered to make movies that work in the P2000, and what kind of viewing experience the viewer gives. It's all good, really, it is! smiling smiley

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 01:21AM by rexrzer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Epson P-2000 Multi-Media Viewer Kicks Butt w/640-pixel Movies-This post tells the story of how I got my P-2000/REALLY LONG!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 24, 2006 04:21AM
Epson eBay LEADER!
Re: Epson P-2000 Multi-Media Viewer Kicks Butt w/640-pixel Movies-This post tells the story of how I got my P-2000/REALLY LONG!
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: February 24, 2006 07:10AM
I bought an Epson refurb P2000 for $400. It's awesome. That was a short story.

Wish I'd had the recent Epson 20% off coupon that would've knocked it down to $320 shipped.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 24, 2006 10:25AM
My faith in eBay was just restored!!!

(church choir sounds)

Perhaps I can get a MacMini 10 pack from there for a deal?
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 24, 2006 02:43PM
jimbrady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought an Epson refurb P2000 for $400. It's
> awesome. That was a short story.
>
> Wish I'd had the recent Epson 20% off coupon that
> would've knocked it down to $320 shipped.

You bought from the Epson Store...a great place to get deals, huh? I bought my wife's Epson 3170 USB 2.0 scanner there for $79 shipped, and when it came I couldn't tell it from a brand new product. I'll bet your P-2000 was the same.

So jimbrady, do you make movies for your P-2000? If you've tried, did you have trouble with the file size, formatting, or sound snyching? Follow my tutorial if you had any of the above...your problems will be solved.smiling smiley

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 54
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020