advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird iBook Behaviour on the Road
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 24, 2006 07:37PM
my G3 ibook 700 has been working fine. i'm traveling and used it this morning. after a day of driving, it refused to turn on for the longest time. i heard small, whirring, clicking noises but nothing else. i didn't know what else to do except keep jiggling the AC adaptor wires. it finally fired up.

it appears to be okay at the moment though my clock is off and the date says 12/31/69. it's set to reference the Apple time server but it hasn't reset itself. also, when i went to change to the central time zones, only cities in the eastern time zones are available.

are there any other key combinations i could have tried to start it in addition to pushing the power button?

is this a sign of imminent logic board failure? i bought this used two years ago from Smalldog and it's been great.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird iBook Behaviour on the Road
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 24, 2006 07:39PM
Logic Board battery?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 24, 2006 07:41PM
Did you take the Big Battery out?
It may have reset the PRAM. Some iBooks didn't have Logic board batteries--not sure about this model
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: February 24, 2006 07:45PM
No iBook has a logic board battery.

Sounds like your battery unseated itself.

BGnR
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 24, 2006 07:55PM
The time zone thing is bizarre. It would make more sense if it was unrelated, something you only happened to notice because of the clock. But who knows?

You should learn how to reset the PMU. [docs.info.apple.com] . It mighta helped, might not've, but it's one of those things you should know how to do.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 24, 2006 08:10PM
i did try taking the battery out and putting it back in. still took time and jiggling.

the time zone thing may be unrelated. i upgraded from jaguar to panther a few days before i left but never checked the date time preferences.

i'm afraid to shut down now. would it be okay to put it to sleep and transport it in the case while sleeping for the remainder of my trip?
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 25, 2006 11:51AM
Dying hard drive?

>would it be okay to put it to sleep and transport it in the case while
>sleeping for the remainder of my trip?

Yes, my S/O has done this without knowing. Woke up, no, problems.

Carm
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 25, 2006 12:03PM
> i did try taking the battery out and putting it back in.

That's what reset your clock. iBooks just have a capacitor to keep NVRAM settings and it runs out of juice fast.

> it refused to turn on for the longest time.

PowerBooks and iBooks have a hard time starting up after you let the battery drain all the way down. It freaks out the power manager.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020