AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
who uses/luvs their pda?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: February 25, 2006 09:02AM
i'm so...

late 90s/early 2000s...

...i'm thinking about getting myself a "simple" pda

i had some early palms years ago and liked the ability to have ALL my phone numbers and calendar there at my fingertips

my questions:

do folks still use pdas or has everyone moved on to treo/blackberry?

what software plays seamlessly w/the pda and osx?

any reasonably priced recommendations?

how about any, stay away from those recommendations?

thanks in advance for any and all thoughts

be well

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: who uses/luvs their pda?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 25, 2006 09:53AM
I think at this point the only choice is Palm, until the belly up or get bought.
I have an older Clie that I use everyday. Its syncs with OSX, NP. The palm would too.
I like having all my info external of my cell. Mine supports MP3 listening too.
The Palm E2 is a simple but sophisticated device, though if I were buying new, I'd get a T/X. I'd want the card slot and better MP3 ability.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: February 25, 2006 10:13AM
Palm Zire.

Complete migration of data could be an issue

[forums.dealmac.com]

but, for a simple pda w/ minimal aggravation, it gets my nod.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 25, 2006 10:36AM
I've got a Garmin iQue running the Palm OS. If it wasn't for the great gps feature, I probably wouldn't be using a PDA anymore as there are many phones that can sync with an address book and calendar.
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: February 25, 2006 10:39AM
Hey,

It's weird because I'm in the exact same place as you. I had a Palm five years ago that was great, but then I started doing more freelance work and always had to carry the Poerbook with me, making the Palm not necessary. Now that I'm more settled and don't need the Powerbook as much I'm thinking of going back to the Palm -- mainly because I want to read eBooks in bed as much as anything else.

Anyway, my research has also led to the Palm E2. I don't think I'm going to go for the T/X only because it doesn't really do all that much more for the money. For $120 more the only thing you realy get over the E2 is WiFi capapbility that you can pay to add on to the E2 via card for $100. Other than that the T/X just has a faster processor, but let's be honest it's a Palm -- we're not editing video or doing Photoshop work with it.

I was also looking at the Sharp Zaurus. You'd have to get it through e-bay because they're not readily available in the States. What attracted me to the Zaurus was that it runs linux natively. There's even a project that's working to get a flavor of linux similar to OS X running on the Zaurus. After some research, though this is cool and would probably fit my needs -- I'd rather go for a cheper straight out of the box solution. The Zaurus wold be fun to play with but more as a hobby thing than a productive work thing. Plus it's almost $100 more to get a Zaurus that is either grey market, refurbished or used.

Finally, I think we can all agree that it would be wise to wait until after next week to purchase any type of PDA device, just in case the unlikely announcement of the iPod touchscreen full featured PDA device thingy happens.

-Shawn
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 25, 2006 11:50AM
i love my palm Z31.

i do have a need to have my calendar and addressbook with me at all times even when i'm home (as opposed to out of town on a business trip).

this palm plays mp3s, a feature i've only recently utilized. it's great for listening to podcasts while exercising. yes, an iPod would be nice but i didn't need another device to have to carry around.

i keep my grocery list on my palm with a free program called HandyShopper. analog pieces of paper are great but more often than not, i was out in a store and the paper grocery list was still on the kitchen counter. my palm is always with me so my grocery lists is always with me.

instead of pictures of my kid in my wallet, i have a short but sweet slideshow on my palm.

and, for waiting at doctor's appointments, or on hold, the palm is always good for a few rounds of Shanghai.

i'll be keeping a pda in my pocket for the foreseeable future.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: February 25, 2006 01:10PM
does the palm software sync w/osx?

if so, in osx what are u using as your address book and scheduler?

i'm thinking of of the e or e2 or maybe even the less featured zire22 or the z31.

price is a slight consideration.

anyone buy open box and/or blemished from the palm store?

if the syncing from palm to osx-tiger back and forth via usb is indeed seamless...

...because it was not seamless in my earlier palm pda via ir or the serial adapter-what a pain it was...

...if truly seamless, i'm almost there.

any and all thoughts would be great

be well

rob
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: February 25, 2006 02:01PM
I use the Zire 71, the Tungsten series (sans camera) came out a month after I bought the 71.
I have used a Palm since the III first came out.
No syncing issues for me, OS X works great, using the Palm Desktop.
I would buy the E2 if I had to buy another, but I am waiting to see what the 28th will bring.
I would love to merge my pda and iPod.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: February 25, 2006 04:00PM
I use to love my Palm; had 2 of 'em & now both are laying on a shelf with the batteries removed. I still have & use Palm Desktop on all of my computers at home as well as at work.

All of that info is also on my iPod & the phone numbers I call the most are on my cell phone. I couldn't see any need to feed & maintain another electronic device so the Palm got retired.

I guess I ought to bring one back to life & sync all 'em.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 25, 2006 06:00PM
PDA's are OK, as long as it isn't an ugly couple.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 25, 2006 06:20PM
i use the Palm Desktop software instead of iCal or Address Book. i like it better than apple's offerings.

i sync easily with Panther or Jaguar.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: February 25, 2006 09:36PM
I use a Z22 and it's FAR AND AWAY the best PDA I've ever owned. I used it for EXACTLY THREE THINGS:

1. Calendar/Appointment retrieval
2. Name/Phone retrieval
3. Yahtzee when I'm bored.

It's so small, cute, intuitive and unobtrusive. You don't lose data when the battery goes dead (can't believe it took till 2005 for Palm to work THAT one out!) and recharges quickly via USB. It works beautifully with iSync. For people who need a backlit colour screen, very basic usage, decent battery life and most importantly all that VERY INEXPENSIVELY, there's no better option.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 25, 2006 09:48PM
I use a T3.

I really like it, but probably won't get another PDA when this dies, unless it's an Apple. They're getting bigger than I like. The TX is nice, but again, it's too big.

The Z22 may be worth a look, as I've got to charge the T3 at least every other day or I lose everything. I hate it when that happens.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020