advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New MacBook on the way...the Pismo has got to go. How much?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: June 28, 2008 12:17PM
How much for a 500 Pismo in very good condition.

768 megs of RAM, 40 gig 5400 rpm drive, Airport card, running 10.4.11.

Thinking of putting it on eBay with a BIN option at a good price for a quick sale. What's a good price to set it at.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New MacBook on the way...the Pismo has got to go. How much?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 28, 2008 12:30PM
pre-LEADER.

I'd check the completed auction prices to get an idea. And then let us know what you decide in case one of us decides to spend money they don't have on a laptop they don't need ...
Posted by: herbertsyufy
Date: June 28, 2008 01:05PM
I'd remove the AirPort card and sell that separately. It's worth more alone than bundled with an old laptop.

As an aside, have you noticed how people tend to hold onto some Macs longer than others? I didn't really care much for my Quicksilver tower, and I'm not emotionally attached to my current MacBook Pro.

But I STILL have my Pismo, even though I haven't used it in months.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 28, 2008 01:34PM
Original Airpot cards are going for $40 or less these days, I say leave it in and you should be able to get between $250-300 for it with some good pictures and BIN.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 28, 2008 01:52PM
Or sell it here. smiling smiley
Posted by: incognegro
Date: June 28, 2008 03:02PM
I'm putting 10.2.8 on a Pismo at this moment. (400 Mhz, 512 RAM)
I want to test it vs. 10.3, performance-wise.

Plus if I sell it, i can only include 10.2 discs, don't have 10.3 or 10.4.

[www.lowendmac.com]

Posted by: hal
Date: June 28, 2008 03:05PM
AFAIC, the going price of pismos runs short of their value. I refuse to sell mine for a measly couple hundred - it's worth a lot more than that to me. So I use it as my alarm clock and to run pleasant sound while I sleep. It even had to do real road duties when my laptop hjard drive died. The sucker is still, BARELY, usable in todays environment.

I just can't part with it... I plan to keep it at least until it's 10th bday - another year and a half or so....
Posted by: macnut
Date: June 28, 2008 04:48PM
My Pismo is still running fine and is fine for most chores, even web surfing -- although it doesn't do video and chokes on some bloat. I keep mine as a backup and for occasional use in rough situations where I don't want to take a new MacBook. Fact is, I love this machine. It is one the best that Apple ever made. When it finally dies, I plan to have it stuffed and hang it on the wall.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: June 28, 2008 05:39PM
This is the first "I love my Pismo" thread I've seen here where owners are willing to admit it chokes on video-intensive tasks. Not sure how one could still be worth $300.
Date: June 28, 2008 08:12PM
I've read that Miro works well to play flash-based video on a Pismo.

[lowendmac.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 28, 2008 08:19PM
I don't really know how it still fetches those kinds of numbers either.... and while I think
it is a great machine, mine finally began to show its body cracks and I finally had a hinge
cover (part of the back of the screen) flake about 1/2" x 2" long. It's glue capable, but it
is a real eye-opener to the other micro-cracks it has - and there are many.

As far as running the OS - hell, I just commented on this the other day. Except for the video
and REAL bloatware, 10.4.11 is nothing for it. I put an 80GB 5400 and it has 512mb of
RAM, and NO airport card (but it does have a Broadcom / Belkin PCMCIA card) - and
if it weren't for the dimming screen, I might have held on longer, but the MacBook sung
to me on xmas eve, and I had to do it.

I still used that machine for Photoshop with lots of Gaussians and undo/redo. (original CS)

It simply wasn't an issue. The DVD-ROM was a bit finicky (wanting to read DVD installers LESS and LESS) but I just went either into TDM with it or attached an external DVD.

I got a bulb (in case anyone needs one) - that once I read into it - I got chicken about
taking it apart. Especially when I was still in Chicago area - without the plethora of tools
I'm used to having and good work space.

The 12" CCT (or whatever it is) came packed in a blue-print tube from one of the major
electronics parts suppliers - but just getting to the screen to see if it was one of the
brands that "you'll rue the day opening the LCD" was not real motivating.

Still - I used it anyway, but the hinges were getting weak (which I'm sure didn't help
the bulb when the screen hit me in the head!) - so for right now - it is TECHNICALLY
a great 2.5" External FireWire Drive!! And it's also (potentially) a VERY LARGE iPOD!

No way I'd ever put $$$ into it for a G4, or a new LCD. Not when MacBooks are going
for bargains. I'd use it just for the external monitor were it not for the G4 mini.

The original battery still gives me 20 minutes or so.

But renew that, and add a new LCD? That's $350-$400. That's lunacy. Add a
Superdrive for another $100? Or the G4/500 for $200 (low for that). Again, more
crazy thinking.

Get rid of it???

If I haven't gotten rid of the Gateway 2550 ---- or even the multiple PowerBook 520 and 540c units, I doubt I'll be parting with this one.

I suppose I wouldn't mind finding a give-away on a pair of 512s for it. I do have, thanks
to a generous forum member, a 6GB drive for it - so I can put the 80GB into the Geeks
USB case I have. I've been too lazy though.

If it can run the latest software (and I'll bet it would run Leopard fine, if I loaded it from
the Mini) - then it is still worthy of admiration.

But my Santa Rosa MacBook kicks royal ass. I'm very VERY pleased with it.

Date: June 28, 2008 08:39PM
i've seen 512s going for around $35-$40 each on fleabay.
i guess a faster HD helps somewhat.

i tried putting Ubuntu on mine for kicks, but 8.04 has a video sync glitch; 7.10 wouldn't recognize the CDROM (even though it was booted from it); 6.06 installed & ran but it's 2 versions back at this point.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 28, 2008 09:00PM
I've seen Ubuntu on Indigo iMacs, so I'm surprised there were issues.

Still.... for 95% of what one does, If it is working fully, you don't make a living from
Adobe CS xxx, AND you NEVER go to YouTube, there is serious example of making
a machine too damn good, and the Pismo is definitely one of them -- but I think that
applies to every G3/G4 iBook and PowerBook, up to the 1.67GHz.

Yes -- the C2D is faster than the last G4 --- perhaps even 5x or more. But WHERE DO
YOU SEE IT??

On Word? Mail.app? Safari? FireFox? Basic Photoshop? CD Burning? No! Not at all!
CD Ripping? $30 for a bare 20x DVD with LightScribe at MicroCenter! Put it in a case!
Use it on all your machines! I've used the FINDER to burn 2 CDs from the PIsmo before,
with external drives. Toast will tax it - but Finder, for data burn, on a G3/400?

Not a problem!

That's fsckin' amazing.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 29, 2008 02:25PM
Aye, the Pismo is an oft-praised workhorse hero, my own 400 included. I have noted its video limitations though in many past praise threads. That's ultimately what drove me to upgrade.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: June 30, 2008 11:10AM
I sold my 500MHz G4 (upgraded) Pismo with a few expansion drives for $350 on ebay last month, including the box and AirPort card.

It would have sold for much less without the G4, expansion drives, and AirPort. Leave the wireless card in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020