advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cloning..what does Carbon Copy Cloner leave out?
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 26, 2006 10:29PM
Im using CCC to clone my primary hard drive which has, only, system (10.3.9) and applications...

Does CCC copy every last thing or does it leave out certain items?

If it does leave out certain items, what are they and are they important in the long run??

I am going to clone this cloned disk (on a firewire external) onto my laptop hd because I can't find the damn restore disks for it..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cloning..what does Carbon Copy Cloner leave out?
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 26, 2006 10:46PM
As I understand it - CCC doesn't leave any of the files out. It's a clone by definition unless you deselect items.

That said - and I know others use CCC just fine - I stopped using CCC after issues experienced with 10.3.5 cloning.

SuperDuper, Drive Genius, and other options have been kept up to date with official support of the later OS versions.

Won't hurt the data on the source drive - and the issues I had were with permissions settings being all gooped up. Had to manually give access, not something a permissions repair could fix or had anything to do with. Anyway - CCC may very well work a-OK for you... and you have it and need to do something now it sounds like - so no harm in trying assuming.

You're wiping the target drive totally out with the clone data, right?

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 26, 2006 10:58PM
Thanks Larry,

yeah the target drive has been wiped clean. I did the clone and it started and functioned on my laptop as the startup disk.

I had heard that some oddball (obscure) library files and some other junk (also obscurish) were left out.

When I hear stuff like this I usually magnify the importance of the info until it begins to cover my house in a purple slime and then...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:59PM by Kraniac.
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 27, 2006 12:13AM
Another option is to use SilverKeeper v1.1.4, which will make a bootable clone of any HD to another. Before you can click on "Go" it asks you if you want/need the volume to be bootable? Check the box, and let it do its thing. Very simple. I'm setting up my new G5 tomorrow using SilverKeeper, and have no reservations about using it.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 27, 2006 01:15AM
You'll be good with CCC. The new version of CCC should be out by the end of April (shooting for it anyways).

Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 27, 2006 05:29AM
Yes, some files are deleted from the clone. So far as I know, every cloning app leaves some things out or deletes them at the end of the cloning operation.

If you look at the Advanced Settings in the CCC preferences, you'll see a list of items that are deleted at the end of the clone operation. It's mostly cache files.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 27, 2006 05:29AM
Follow this oft posted advice by johnc:

Make sure the "Ignore privileges on this volume" setting is not checked for your source or target volume (Note: this setting is called "Ignore ownership on this volume" in Jaguar). To check this setting, click on the target volume, choose "Show Info" or "Get Info" from the File menu in the Finder and select the Privileges menu (Jaguar: click the disclosure triangle next to ownership and permissions). Make sure the box at the bottom is NOT checked, otherwise permissions and ownership settings will not be preserved, no matter what tool you use to copy files.
Posted by: roshi
Date: February 27, 2006 01:00PM
I bought Drive Genius on the recommendation of OWC Larry. I like having another tool - but Genius wants the source and target drive to be the same size.

For example - my entire working hard drive is 40 gigs of data - the OS, all my data, my photos, etc. It's on a 200 gig partition.

Cloning this to an external - like the four OWC external firewire drives I have - is easy in CCC and SuperDuper. What I do there is clone to a partitions of 60 Gigs, to give headroom in case I ever need to boot from the firewire.

It is good to know that I CAN do "device-to-device" copying with Genius.

But with a new dual-core G5, and a 2-week old copy of Drive Genius (from a store) - do I need to then buy a new CD from Drive Genius to boot from so I can do that kind of cloning?

Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 27, 2006 05:56PM
CCC worked for me...Super Duper has not.

I'd like for CCC's incremental changes to be fixed though...

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020