advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home repair question - used a half tube of caulking - put a nail in the end?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 12, 2008 02:07PM
I was sealing around some doors and used a product called OSI. I've got at least half the tube left so I want to save it. If I just leave a blob at the end of the tip will that work? I put a small nail in it too. Or is there no hope in saving this stuff?

Thanks.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home repair question - used a half tube of caulking - put a nail in the end?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 12, 2008 02:11PM
Fair chance it will work. I have even seen little polyeurathane condoms for sale to co over the end. Stoneway Hardware may have them.
Re: Home repair question - used a half tube of caulking - put a nail in the end?
Posted by: fromish
Date: July 12, 2008 02:21PM
If you have latex or ntrile gloves you use for painting, etc, when a pair is ready for the garbage, cut off the fingers that don't have holes. Squeeze out 1/4" of caulk, leave it on the end of the tube, wrap the glove finger tightly around the caulk tube end and either tie off the glove or use a rubberband for a tight seal. I have had the best luck with nitrile-some caulk uses solvents that eat latex.

This method has left the caulk use able forup to six months.

Good luck.
Date: July 12, 2008 02:24PM
Don't have that stuff... would cling wrap work? plastic baggie?

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 12, 2008 02:24PM
waiting for some nasty jokes about M A V I C and Racer X trading little condoms with each other. POMTL!!!
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 12, 2008 02:28PM
If the cut tip has a relatively small hole, stick a nail in that is bigger so it's relatively hard to push in. When you open it again in two years, pull out the nail and squeeze out several inches of the caulk. It will be difficult at first and discolored, but then you'll get to the good stuff.
Posted by: karsen
Date: July 12, 2008 03:00PM
I usually put a nail in the end, then put some plastic wrap over the tip with a rubber band to hold it on. Works for me.

Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: July 12, 2008 04:14PM
Check at Home Depot or Lowe's for a nozzle with a threaded cap on the end that screws over the caulk tube nozzle. Works much better than a nail, condom or saran wrap.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 12, 2008 04:27PM
I was just at Stoneway Hardware, and they do have those tiny condoms for Mavic's caulk.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 12, 2008 04:39PM
Many of the above will work . 2 years from now, when you want to use it again, the success of your "seal" will make itself evident by how much dried caulking you have to remove from that tip before you can get the good stuff to come out.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 12, 2008 04:57PM
I've never had luck using nails. The only thing that seems to work with me is some kind of plastic wrap tightly sealed with duct tape.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lee3
Date: July 12, 2008 05:39PM
nail and duct tape
Posted by: karsen
Date: July 12, 2008 06:50PM
Racer X
...those tiny condoms for Mavic's caulk.

LMAO.

Date: July 12, 2008 08:30PM
Nail, plastic baggie wrapped tight and rubber band are what I ended up using.

Just spent about four hours trying to get a jack and jack stands. Had to return the first jack because it didn't lift as high as it said it would. Had to return the jack stands as the guy said a set of 2 ton stands would work fine for anything but a large SUV or truck. Got home, checked the weight of the car... 2.1 tons. Took those back. Saw Home Depot had a set of 3 ton jack stands for $19.71 a pair. Got there and they were $25 a pair so I didn't get them. Time to go disassemble one wheel at a time...

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 12, 2008 08:57PM
So now we know where RacerX buys his tiny little condoms. grinning smiley

You didn't really think I was just going to let that one pass, did you?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 13, 2008 12:57AM
You can use an electrical wire nut. They come in different sizes - the red ones work well...

Cary
Posted by: davester
Date: July 13, 2008 02:00AM
M A V I C
Got home, checked the weight of the car... 2.1 tons. Took those back. Saw Home Depot had a set of 3 ton jack stands for $19.71 a pair. Got there and they were $25 a pair so I didn't get them. Time to go disassemble one wheel at a time...

Why do you make things so difficult for yourself. 2 2-ton jackstands are perfectly fine for holding up a 2.1 ton car. There's only about 1-ton on each jackstand.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 13, 2008 12:05PM
davester
M A V I C
Got home, checked the weight of the car... 2.1 tons. Took those back. Saw Home Depot had a set of 3 ton jack stands for $19.71 a pair. Got there and they were $25 a pair so I didn't get them. Time to go disassemble one wheel at a time...

Why do you make things so difficult for yourself. 2 2-ton jackstands are perfectly fine for holding up a 2.1 ton car. There's only about 1-ton on each jackstand.

I asked someone at the store and they said that wasn't the case. I though that it would be. I spent over four hours yesterday just running out out to get tools and supplies so I wasn't going to take more time researching that.

*sigh*

Posted by: Cary
Date: July 13, 2008 03:26PM
A front wheel drive car has approximately (varies due to weight distribution) 60 - 70% of its weight on the front wheels, 30 - 40% on its back wheels. Each jackstand supports half that weight. A rear-wheel drive car is (usually) a little better balanced...

So, your 2 ton car has at most 2800 pounds on the front wheels, 1400 pounds on each side.

Those jackstands are far more than enough. If you tried to balance the whole car on one jackstand, you'd bend/break the body before you bent the jackstand.

Given all that, how much time and gas did you waste driving around, buying, returning, not buying?

Cary
Posted by: LyleH
Date: July 13, 2008 04:49PM
Sometimes I use a golf tee. Kind of depends on how large the tube opening is.

LyleH
Date: July 14, 2008 12:02AM
Cary
A front wheel drive car has approximately (varies due to weight distribution) 60 - 70% of its weight on the front wheels, 30 - 40% on its back wheels. Each jackstand supports half that weight. A rear-wheel drive car is (usually) a little better balanced...

So, your 2 ton car has at most 2800 pounds on the front wheels, 1400 pounds on each side.

Those jackstands are far more than enough. If you tried to balance the whole car on one jackstand, you'd bend/break the body before you bent the jackstand.

Given all that, how much time and gas did you waste driving around, buying, returning, not buying?

Cary

Thanks for the details. I didn't waste a ton of gas. I had to make a run to home depot anyway so I picked up the other stuff I needed there. Pretty much just one extra trip a couple miles away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020