advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
School me on any Wii differences? --- I've been offered one.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 14, 2008 10:20AM
Never a big console game player myself, but when my wife heard me get offered one for my upcoming B-Day, her eyes got really big. (She keeps a Genesis and a Nintendo 64 in the basement so that dust has a place to settle, but WANTS a Wii.)

Are all the boxes the same? I vaguely remember eons ago several different retail flavors of Nintendo consoles, some came with one controller, some with two, some with on game, some with two, different packaged games etc.

(Best Wii reference I've read (I forget where) was about how the more "capable" big boys, XBox 360 and PS3, have been getting spanked in sales by "two Game Cubes slapped together" or words to that effect.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: School me on any Wii differences? --- I've been offered one.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 14, 2008 11:13AM
One is free..... one is not. Free is good.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 14, 2008 11:24AM
It's all about the Wii Remote controller - one ships with the Wii system. The Wii Remote is a bluetooth device that contains multiple accelerometers that can detect motion in 3 axis and using IR it can detect where it is in 3D space. No other console has such advanced controllers.

The CPU and Graphics processor in the Wii aren't up to the same level as the XBOX 360 or Playstation 3 - but they don't need to be. Read more here [en.wikipedia.org]

Wii Sports (game) ships with the system and you'll likely want to pick up Wii Play (extended version of Wii Sports) which comes with an additional Wii Remote. You'll also want to pickup an SD card (minimum 1 GB) to store downloaded games.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 14, 2008 11:24AM
If someone is giving it to you...take it. They still sell out to this day in the retail stores.

I think if you purchased the Wii Play game; you got an extra controller with the game. I think a lot of people took advantage of that.

It's a lot of fun. It's not about the graphics...although being old, old school; I think the graphics are great. It's about the interaction. That's why the XBox 360 and the PS3 got spanked in sales.

People want more than just their thumbs to be part of the game.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 14, 2008 11:29AM
I've convinced family members, who would never even consider a console system, to get one, and they absolutely love it.

Posted by: karsen
Date: July 14, 2008 11:40AM
Put it this way... When my nearly 70 year old mom comes to our house she asks if she can play the Wii. She loves it.

The Wii is great fun for ANYONE. It's not about the graphics, it's about interactivity and the intuitive simplicity of gameplay.

Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: July 14, 2008 11:45AM
This 68-1/2 year old male has a Wii and thoroughly enjoys it. The graphics are more than adequate on our 60 inch Sony Wega.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 14, 2008 11:51AM
Forrest
It's all about the Wii Remote controller - one ships with the Wii system. The Wii Remote is a bluetooth device that contains multiple accelerometers that can detect motion in 3 axis

karsen
it's about interactivity and the intuitive simplicity of gameplay

Reminds me of the iPhone/iPod Touch: Games like Cro-Mag Rally and Super Monkey Ball are incredible--and fun.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: July 14, 2008 12:02PM
I echo the others' sentiments here: playability trumps polygon count any day. I'm trying to focus on getting games that actually take advantage of the controller, Boom Blox being a good example.

My grandfather lives in an independent living senior home now, and they have a Wii set up in the common area which has proven to be very popular. Lots of bowling and golf and even some tennis.

A friend brought over two extra controllers yesterday and we actually managed to play doubles tennis without breaking anything in the living room. Was pretty amusing...
Posted by: volcs0
Date: July 14, 2008 12:04PM
We have a 360 and a Wii.

The 360 gets used a lot by the "boys" for Halo, Bioshock and Rockband.

The Wii gets a lot of playtime for Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

They both have their place.

If I would recommend one to you, it would be the Wii.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 14, 2008 12:17PM
Thanks folks, this is good info. Yeah, we definitely plan on keeping it.
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: July 14, 2008 01:12PM
I played on a Wii for the first tim this weekend. I played bowling, tennis, boxing and Guitar Hero.

I loved it. I'm not a console gamer, but I really want one of these. I'm somewhat afraid, however, that once I do get one that I'll neglect my kids, my wife, the dog and personal hygiene because it is SO much fun.
Posted by: timg
Date: July 14, 2008 02:25PM
DharmaDog
I played on a Wii for the first tim this weekend. I played bowling, tennis, boxing and Guitar Hero.

I loved it. I'm not a console gamer, but I really want one of these. I'm somewhat afraid, however, that once I do get one that I'll neglect my kids, my wife, the dog and personal hygiene because it is SO much fun.

Not to worry. If you do get one, you'll be fighting for time on it with the wife, kids and the dog!
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 14, 2008 05:04PM
Get the Wii. You will love it. I recommend MarioKart. Very fun.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 14, 2008 07:13PM
[youtube.com]

[youtube.com]

[youtube.com]

[youtube.com]

NSFW (and yet, boring)
[www.nuts.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020