advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gladiator GarageWorks 8ft Workbench Mini Review
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 27, 2006 06:26PM
Ok...I broke down and bought Whirlpool's Gladiator GarageWorks 8ft Workbench. [www.gladiatorgw.com]

I needed a long workbench in my garage, and 8ft fit the bill. I looked at a couple different ones from Craftsman, StackOn, some others and considered making my own. I also looked at some of the cabinet based systems. I went with the Gladiator based on its surface. This thing has a 1 3/4 inch maple top that is a thing of beauty. This is a very heavy peice. Total weight is about 166 lbs and me and the GF had a very hard time moving it. Once in place its very solid and sturdy. It went together easy with 4 lag bolts connecting each leg, 4 lag bolts connecting the back, and 4 little bolts connecting the back to the legs.The leveling legs simply screw in. At $500 its pricey, but you're paying for the Maple and the name. Its probably overkill for me, but I'll never have to buy anything like this again and I can give it to my kids if I ever have any. Gladiator also makes the matching cabinets and such to go with it. StackOn liscenses the Gladiator name from Whirlpool and has their own line Gladiator Cadet [www.gladiatorcadet.com] . These are an inferior version that are very cheaply made but offer the look of the mack daddy Gladiator Garageworks system. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the matching cabinets. Sears Craftsman Cabinets in Platinum and black seem like a better deal. The cabinets feel a bit beefier and look pretty good. They also have shelves built into the doors which are handy. Downside to the Craftsman is that they are not as deep as the Gladiators, the castors are 4x2 vs. 5x2, and the Gladiator 2 door cabinet has a sliding shelf. Craftsman is also cheaper which is a plus. Hope this helps anyone looking for quality storage in the garage.

Thanks,

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gladiator GarageWorks 8ft Workbench Mini Review
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 27, 2006 06:36PM
I saw the 6' version of these at Sams Club and you are correct, they are heavy duty
and the fit and finish on them are very nice. I may get one yet.

About $200 or so for the 6' bench IIRC. They also had the storage cabinets

Posted by: Michael
Date: February 27, 2006 06:38PM
Stavs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sears
> Craftsman Cabinets in Platinum and black seem like
> a better deal. The cabinets feel a bit beefier and
> look pretty good. They also have shelves built
> into the doors which are handy. Downside to the
> Craftsman is that they are not as deep as the
> Gladiators, the castors are 4x2 vs. 5x2, and the
> Gladiator 2 door cabinet has a sliding shelf.
> Craftsman is also cheaper which is a plus. Hope
> this helps anyone looking for quality storage in
> the garage.

Thanks for the review. If you buy Craftsman, join the Craftsman Club and buy them during the week of each month that you'll get 10% off. The Craftsman cabinets also go on sale pretty regularly and that stacks with the Craftsman Club discount. [www.craftsmantooltalk.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 27, 2006 06:39PM
I think I must be a different generation from you. I can't imagine buying a workbench in a store. Here's my story:

OK...I broke down and got the "Davester Scrap Lumber Workbench System". It cost me at least 500 cents and is a heavyweight thing of not-quite-beauty with a beautiful planked top of unknown origin and a built in "Davester scrap shelving system". It works great and if I spill some nasty chemicals on the top I can just rip off the heavy boards and replace them in about 15 minutes. It's so heavy that if we have an earthquake you'll find me sitting on the largest of the "Davester scrap shelving levels" underneath. The high-tech leveling system consists of some cedar shims hammered in where the legs attach to the top...infinitely adjustable and biodegradable too. It has a readily customizable miter saw and grinder mounting system (you customize it by drilling more holes in the top. The dumpster-dive-acquired vice attached to the end has also seen huge amounts of use.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 27, 2006 06:45PM
As long as it works for ya Davester...thats what matters!
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 27, 2006 06:54PM
I have my own home built "davester" benches in the basement workshop that are
traditional 2x4 construction and 1.5" plywood tops (2 layers of 3/4") w/ epoxy paint
It has two 8' sections either side of my radial arm saw and lots of top storage.
I also built these at 32" deep because I like a little deeper bench.

I was looking at one of these "fancy" ones to replace my stand up work counter in my studio
that has shelves under them that don't get much use or become junk collectors.

The 38" height is nice because my Craftsman roll around chest would fit under it
giving me a little more floor space

The roll around holds extra lenses, film backs and misc stuff that is not
going out on a shoot with me.

Now Stavs - he's just a high class kind of guy :-)

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 27, 2006 07:09PM
I'm sure your kids will be fighting over it and not the house/cash when the time comes.

Probably be better to address it via having it converted to a coffin in 30-40 years.

B)

Beautiful piece of maple work, but I don't see the attraction for this at that price, when $75 in wood - and you're covered to make something like this - and have legs that will permit you to go into the wall with anchoring bolts (if you need that extra stability/fit/load capacity beyond 2 x 8s and 4 x 4 lumber).

Add a piece/pair of marine grade 24" x 96" plywood - and you have something you can easily resurface with an additional sheet laid on top of... (my preference) of 2 x 8s for layer #1 (and perhaps #2...set at angles like flooring), and/or just the 3/4" AC Exterior Fir plywood (as layer 2 or 3--depending on base) and a coat of something (instead of marine grade) to protect it from chemical spills, keeping costs under ~~$100 for everything.

I used a solid core door as the base for a table I used to build model rockets upon - and did the 2x4 / 4x4 base. That thing would hold hundreds of pounds. It was a damaged door (for use as a door) and was sold for next to nothing.

The water resistant glues in marine plywood may not be a serious issue - (though the laminating process is superior as well) - but in a garage I'd want something that didn't look (and cost)like a designer kitchen cutting board. I'd cringe everytime I used it and/or gouged it at $500.

The place you get your deck supplies would likely have damaged high grade plywood that you could get a 2' x 8' piece extracted from, and you'd get a bargain because of all the other materials and sliders you've bought for the deck.

I admit, I'm a bargain hunter when it comes to stuff like this. If I'm going to use it to build things on, I can certainly buid IT as well. I save the $$ because I've never seen "PowerBook" price degradation on a daily basis. So those toys are typically had without benefit of major bargains on zero notice.

On the other hand.... if I married that open-mouth breather Anna Nicole, AFTER she wins in court, I'd get the gold coated version of your table for the garage next to the trailer.
Date: February 27, 2006 07:39PM
Would you be parked on the grass?
Posted by: billb
Date: February 27, 2006 08:13PM
I like the steel frame.
Great for when/if you can't bolt to the wall for added stability.

There's no way I could work on a fancy top like that though.
I'd be too afraid of scratching it.

My 'fancy' work bench is 3/4" ply x2 with that 1/8" hardboard you can put under a kitchen floor, on top. If I mess up a peice, I just screw another one down in its place.
Might not look like a fine peice of furniture, but it's < flat> .
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: February 28, 2006 07:08AM
Is the gladiator front a plastic, faux steel diamond plate material?

I THINK I've seen that FAUX steel panels at hh Gregg hi-lines gladiator display room.

I would pass on that.

Date: February 28, 2006 07:52AM
No...I think they are stamped steel. StackOn makes a flimsier version which may be what you saw.
Posted by: bkackerson
Date: January 04, 2013 03:53PM
Thanks for the tips on the cabinets, Stavs. That is my next purchase/construction project.

Incidentally, the Gladiator 8 foot workbench is often on sale at Sears for about $350 which is where i bought it. I could not be happier. It has a very heavy top (1.75 inch maple) precluding the need for a counterweight even with heavy pounding. The legs are more than adequate. It also works well for mounting vises, grinders, etc - couple holes in the top and a couple bolts is all that is needed. As my father did, I always put a piece of 1/4 inch plywood on top of all work surfaces (radial arm saw, workbench, etc) so that every 5 - 10 years, all of the cuts, nicks, rough areas, etc can be removed and the tops "resurfaced" with new plywood in a matter of minutes, particularly on the radial arm saw. I guess if you move the vise, grinder or other surface mounted tools, the plywood would 'heal" the holes too, if that bothers you.

I thought about putting together a 2x4 base and 2 x 6/plywood top as some did and undoubtedly works well too, but, in the end, took the lazy way out and bought this table. Building a table would have saved about 1/2 the Sears sale price (at least based on lumber prices in So Cal) but, in the end, I decided to go with the solid (butcher block) maple top and steel legs. Another less expensive option for those without a cheap source of wood (like around the house!) is a 6 foot table from Harbor Freight with 6 under top drawers and a solid hardwood top for about $159 on sale (often). Use one of their coupons, and you can save 20 to 25% off of the sale price!

Thanks again for the tips
Date: January 04, 2013 03:58PM
Welcome to the club!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 518
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020