advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Would or have you used the BBB for disputes?
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 28, 2006 07:22AM
What has been your experience with the BBB in settling any consumer disputes?

Or would you go to the BBB to settle a dispute?

Does the BBB logo on a website make a difference to your shopping with one etailer over another?

Curious.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Would or have you used the BBB for disputes?
Posted by: illustratton
Date: February 28, 2006 08:07AM

Tried to. A local car wash ("VIP Car Wash" Omaha Nebraska) did over $1600.00 in damage to my car and refused to pay for the repairs. Contacted BBB to help, they contacted VIP - but were rebuffed - No Help.

Ended up in small claims court were I easily won a judgment. But I still have not been able to collect one cent. The owner of VIP said "Try to collect".
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 28, 2006 09:04AM
Readers Digest was hassling me about me not paying for something i didn't order and after i mentioned that i would sic the BBB on them, they gave up. I never actually had to talk to the BBB. Just lucked up i guess.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 28, 2006 09:11AM
I called in the BBB in regard to a Cingular complaint. It was patched up very quickly - almost weird how quickly things changed.
Posted by: macmom42
Date: February 28, 2006 09:12AM
Before the no-call list was in existence, I used them to get a carpet-cleaning company to stop calling me. The guy who runs the Houston BBB is very aggressive, more so than some others, from what I can tell. He eventually kicked the company out of the Houston BBB, but they're based in Dallas, and I think they're still in the Dallas BBB even though he sent all the information from my complaint to them. They finally did stop calling, but now they just send crap in the mail. So yes, I would definitely use the BBB again. As far as the logo influencing my choices of businesses, I usually check the BBB website to see if a company is a member or what type of complaints they have against them before I choose one.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2006 09:15AM by macmom42.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 28, 2006 09:48AM
Judging from the other responses, it looks like it depends on how aggressive each local office is. From my limited experience they were pretty toothless. They just logged my report and sent me a few responses saying the company didn't respond to any of their inquiries. It's sort of like the Ebay feedback system. The most you're going to do is help the next chump keep from getting screwed.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 28, 2006 09:53AM
Try your local attorney generals office. They will act on your behalf. I did it for an apartment complex that didnt give me back my security.
Re: Would or have you used the BBB for disputes?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 28, 2006 10:13AM
My brother worked for a terrible company (retail appliances) for a little while after he got out of school. They ripped people off on a regular basis, especially old ladies. They also proudly displayed their BBB plaques in their lobby. That left me fairly cynical about the BBB, at least on Cape Cod.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 28, 2006 05:26PM
illustratton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Tried to. A local car wash ("VIP Car Wash" Omaha
> Nebraska) did over $1600.00 in damage to my car
> and refused to pay for the repairs. Contacted BBB
> to help, they contacted VIP - but were rebuffed -
> No Help.
>
> Ended up in small claims court were I easily won a
> judgment. But I still have not been able to
> collect one cent. The owner of VIP said "Try to
> collect".

you go back to small claims court and file a lien on his business. it can never be sold until they pay you off, and i believe with interest. And that lien negatively affect the business' credit, and probably the owner's as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020