advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
'how to' advice needed
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 28, 2006 09:09AM
I may be asked to produce a presentation for our choir's 40th anniversary. I'm not sure what program/programs to use. It would contain photos, scanned newspaper articles, music, narration, and video. It was suggested that PowerPoint be used. I've never used PowerPoint, not sure if it can handle moving video. I have older versions of iLife (v5), iWork (v1) and Final Cut Express (v1) I have PowerPoint through Office OSX. Should I update any of those apps?

Hardware-wise, would the 1.2ghz-upgraded Sawtooth running Panther be better to create this, or would a 1.25ghz Mini running Tiger be better? Or does it matter?

Are there any suggested sites to visit?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 'how to' advice needed
Posted by: ATT
Date: February 28, 2006 11:32AM
It depends, how is it going to be presented?

Is someone going to talk along with the presentation? Or is it something completely for people to view and listen to?

If it's the first, you can use either powerpoint or keynote(part of iwork). Both of them will work for your purpose.

If you want something for people to watch without someone talking. You can create all the different parts, and then put it together in iDVD.

Both computer are about the same spec-wise. Make sure you have enough ram to have multiple applications open.

Once you incorporate video, music, pictures, the file is going to be pretty big.
Date: February 28, 2006 11:46AM
Probably both. A live presentation but also a DVD as a memento to hand out to the choir members. I would hazard to guess that in the live presentation, there could be an intro, let the presentation fly, and then do a wrap-up. These are some of the issues that are being discussed.

I probably would use Keynote, just because it's an Apple product. winking smiley

So both Keynote and PP can use moving video? Quicktime, I assume?
It's sounds like I'd use Keynote/PP to create the presentation, then burn it to DVD using iDVD? So no need for iMovie/Final Cut Express except to edit the video portions?
Posted by: ATT
Date: February 28, 2006 06:00PM
Sam,

You may want to repost this to get more help...perhaps try a new topic title.

I am pretty experience using powerpoint, with photos, and graphics, etc... but I don't have much experience with video in powerpoint.

I am not sure how conversion from pp to dvd is going to work. If you were going to show this from a laptop, you may well just use powerpoint for this.

If you are going to do movies, you'll need to edit in iMovie/Final Cut before you can imported to iDVD. Similary for the photos, etc...

Overall, you can do what you need with the apps you have. It will be fairly time consuming since you are using a G4, but you can do a very good job.
Date: March 01, 2006 07:42AM
Thanks, I'll repost it in the evening. It seems that when I post in the mornings or the day, the posts get lost in the shuffle. I appreciate you're responding to my request.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 364
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020