advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CCC Images...Restore thread question
Posted by: rouderon
Date: February 28, 2006 09:13AM
At this thread [forums.macresource.com] Speedy suggested to boot from drive with CCC image and CCC it back. Dumb question: how does one go about this - do you have to do this through CCC?

Also, do you have to wipe the drive first of the Mac you're cloning the CCC image back to?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CCC Images...Restore thread question
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 28, 2006 10:23AM
I'm not 100% clear on your situation... mostly becuase I'm operating pre-caffeine this morning...

The drive you have your CCC-created image on... does it have a bootable system on it?
If yes; then hold down the option key as you boot and when it gives you choice, select the drive you want to boot from.

If no; then you cannot boot from the drive that is holding your image file.

You don't NEED to boot from the drive holding your image file, you just need to boot from a DIFFERENT drive than you are cloning TO.

You don't have to wipe the drive you're cloning to, but I have found that it is more reliable if you DO wipe your target drive first.
This is assuming that your image file contains a system that will boot the computer you are cloning to.

I hope this helps...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 28, 2006 10:30AM
Thanks Paul - yes I have a CCC-created image [clone of my iMac] on an external drive and was wondering how exactly to clone it back to the Mac if it ever has problems (as stated in my post a few threads above, I may have to send my iMac to Applecare for repair and wanted to know how to clone back to the iMac if it's harddrive comes back wiped or problematic for whatever reason).
Date: February 28, 2006 11:16AM
So, how do I clone the image back to the iMac once I boot up from ext. harddrive that contains the CCC-cloned disk image? Is there an option in CCC to do this (do I have to run the CCC app in order to clone the drive back)?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 28, 2006 12:19PM
You'll need a copy of CCC on the drive you booted from...
Then just select the source and target drives, and away you go.
(and don't forget to check the preferences to make sure you select "make bootable" if the disk you're going to clone is going to be a startup disk).

Hope this helps!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 28, 2006 12:24PM
Yep - that's what I needed. Thanks so much Paul!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020