advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Buying A GPS At Best Buy. Which One?
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 02, 2008 08:49AM
I'm going to go to the local Best Buy today and buy a GPS unit. I'd like something with voice and that can be updated via the web.

I've never had one, but have been impressed with the ones I've seen in use.

Can anyone make a recommendation on something I'd find at BB?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Buying A GPS At Best Buy. Which One?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 02, 2008 09:21AM
Depends on your price level.

I really like the TomTom 730 and 930 since it has voice input.

I have tested it and it supports the iPhone

Buy.com has the older model 920 with voice input for $307
Posted by: carl
Date: August 02, 2008 09:43AM
I have a Garmin NUVI 660 and really like it. Garmin NUVIs can be updated via the web and have voiceprompts. Voice prompts are great and I have found that I really like the feature that Garmin calls "text to speech". With text to speech is says" turn right at chopper street" vs just saying turn right.

If I were purchasing a new unit today I would buy the cheapest Garmin NUVI that had text to speech, with that feature I don't look at the screen much, so no need to have a wide screen and I have found that while many other features are available on my 660 (bluetooth, traffic update feature, picture viewing, fm modulation to play sound thru radio) I don't use them.

The one accessory I bought that I really like is Garmin"s bean bag mount, its easy to use and place the unit where you want it to be.

I have also found that ordering via a a web seller the price on GPS units are much cheaper than Best buy.
Posted by: carl
Date: August 02, 2008 09:54AM
Just checked prices on a Garmin NUVI 260, which is what I would buy as it has has text to speech.

Best Buy $250
Amazon $200
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 02, 2008 09:57AM
> With text to speech is says" turn right at chopper street" vs just saying turn right.

This is a hugely useful feature. My advice is that this is a must-have. I doubt anyone who has used a GPS possessing this feature would ever purchase one that doesn't.

Having used GPS since 1995 I'm a big fan of Garmin. Their Mac support just got a ton better with Bobcat, their current (supposedly beta) software.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 02, 2008 10:01AM
Or the Nuvi 660 is $299 at Amazon.

When I started looking at them in early January, they were about $450 at Amazon and something like $650-750 at any brick and mortar. I ended up getting one when the amazon price dipped to $350 in early Feb.

Might be "last year's" model, but it's very solid. Just look at the reviews at Amazon.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 02, 2008 10:10AM
Just got an email from Costco.
The Garmin nuvi 270 is now $100 off and is $199. 7/31/08-8/11/08
I tried to find it onliine but it is not there
This is only a 3.5" screen.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 02, 2008 10:28AM
None. There are much better deals elsewhere.

Do you have a Costco near you?

I've had both a Nuvi 660 and a 680 and they have been great devices. A 660 for under $300 as datbeme mentioned would be one recommendation that I can support.

Having built-in bluetooth is a big bonus if, as it is in California now, handsfree is required by law. My cell phone is acquired as soon as my Nuvi comes on.

You didn't mention your price range, but in my experience getting as many features as you can afford is smart. The better the model the longer it will satisfy your needs.

I'm finding that the MSN Direct traffic reports are definitely a big benefit. When there's a traffic jam it can give you an effective detour plus it can lead you to the lowest gas prices where ever you are (provided there's coverage in the area). That's a great help if you're low on gas and don't know the area.

Buying a Nuvi now should make you eligible for the new 2009 maps if they aren't included with your unit. Just contact Garmin tech support. They've been extremely helpful in my experience.

This site has great in depth reviews :[www.gpsmagazine.com] Please check their recommendations before you buy.

Bottom line, don't buy at BB if you want the best deal for your money. Costco and Amazon have much better pricing and both have generous return policies if you're not happy with your purchase, especially Costco.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: August 02, 2008 11:05AM
I have had a Nuvi 350 for close to 2 years and it does a fine job. We needed to get another GPS for my son who is off to college so I thought I would try the Nuvi 750 that was at Sam's Club for $299. It has the larger screen and some additional features over the 350 but I didn't like that due to the built-in antenna, it had to be on or near the windshield or it would lose the signal. The 350 is nice and small so I would often not mount it to the rental car I'm driving and just keep it on the seat or on my lap and it would never drop the signal. The antenna flips up and must help with the signal.

I decided to take the 750 back and I ordered another 350 for $199 at Amazon. The added features on the 750 were nice though - shows the posted speed limit and lets you enter up to 7 stops and will give you the shortest route to them.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: August 02, 2008 11:23AM
I have a Tom Tom, and a Garmin, I like them both.

It's great to have a Navigation assistant.

Do people outside the geek community really call them "GPS Units"?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 02, 2008 11:36AM
I dont like my garmin nuvi 650's alternate route feature as much as my tomtom one. Even though my tomtom one doesn't have the speak names and has virtually no points of interest (i.e. fast food, movie theaters, etc), the Tomtom's navigation is better. For instance the other day, I had a problem with an exit off the Jersey turnpike (there was an accident and the thing wouldn't move). I used the Garmin Nuvi 650 to select alternate route and the thing just sent me to the next exit and circle back the other way. Not very useful.

With the tomtom, you can actually select distances of the block...i.e. 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1 mile, etc. You can also select a travel via (what ever route you want), etc.

Overall, the Nuvi 650 has good features like finding places to play, but for actual navigation around road blocks, traffic, etc, I'd prefer my Tomtom One.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: comaplate
Date: August 02, 2008 12:59PM
Text-to speech is HUGE, especially when you have the glare of the sun washing out the LCD screen.

If you're looking at TomToms and are considering the 7XX series, splurge for the 9XX series that includes the remote and also has euro maps.

The remote accounts for a large chunk of the price differential, and I find it to be highly useful -- especially if you have a steeply raked windshield.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: August 02, 2008 02:18PM
I got my Navigon 2100 with text to speech and 3D reality view at Staples for $119 on sale. I think it works great for the price and has all the features of the Garmins for less money. The only con is you do have to pay for map updates - $79 ($50 eBay) for up to 12 updates over 3 years.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 02, 2008 03:11PM
TomTom
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 02, 2008 08:15PM
I've got a Nuvi 260 and love it. Although she does get a bit insistent (and irritating) at times. The happy thing is you can hit the mute button and she'll still get you where you need to go without having to listen! I used that mute feature today navigating away from the High Museum in Atlanta.

I'd buy another one in a second.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020