advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boom Box Bust
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 28, 2006 06:23PM

This is in my humble opinion the biggest boo boo that Apple has done in quite some time.
Six D cell batteries, almost 17 pounds, 17 inch long 7x7 box to listen to music stored on a credit card sized iPod. It will charge your iPod but not the D cells.
At $350.00 I expect a tweeter or two. Frequency response only goes to 16K +/- 3 dB. Every 3 dB loudness doubles. So the bottom could be 4 times as loud as the vocals and still be in spec. Okay I have vented. Does anyone else find this product less than worthy of the Apple logo?

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boom Box Bust
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 28, 2006 06:30PM

This one is a grand and doesn't even have speakers :-0

[www.stereophile.com]

Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 28, 2006 06:30PM
I am not impressed either.

It is hard to give a flat-out judgement without actually hearing it, but I am doubtful of any good high-end response given the lack of a real tweeter, as you mentioned. Although many people would be suprised to know that their own hearing range drops off sharply after 17KHz or so, but this is hardly an excuse for an 'audiophile' speaker. (did apple say it was audiophile, or was that just my expectation?)

Anyway, I'm sure some people will buy it, but not me. It looks like it might make a decent center-channel for a 5.1 Home theater setup, but still no tweeter makes me sad.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 28, 2006 06:44PM
There's like 20 choices in this department already at my local Target. Yawn.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 28, 2006 06:47PM
Markintosh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's like 20 choices in this department already
> at my local Target. Yawn.

and they look better/smaller/integrate the iPod nicer too

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: February 28, 2006 06:53PM
Radio Raheem gives it a thumbs down.

"D, muthafunka, D!"
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: February 28, 2006 07:22PM
Yup, this ones a loooozzzaaaa!

I thought Apple had their finger on the pulse of the digital audio revolution.

But this makes em look like all thumbs... down that is.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 28, 2006 07:31PM
Yeah, me too, to all of the above.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 28, 2006 07:32PM
Big fat meh. Why does Apple need its own entry into an already seemingly saturated peripheral segment?
Posted by: h'
Date: February 28, 2006 07:38PM
I'm not saying I'd pay $350 for something like this, but I'm guessing I'd be pleased with the sound based on the driver choice.
No excuse for mandating disposable batteries though-- shame on Apple.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 28, 2006 07:44PM
lafinfil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> This one is a grand and doesn't even have speakers
> :-0

yeah, this is up there with the mighty mouse for mighty late and pretty bad value.

'fil, that is totally cool. 1.2 Farads. holy crap for something that size.

think i'll put it in my shed.

;-D
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 28, 2006 07:45PM
I think what you say has a lot of merit, Bernie. I was also shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, at the clunky, primitive, anvilized D batt setup. Even my 10-year-old magnavox jam box uses only 5 C cells, has great sound, a remote, a relatively small footprint, AND I can plug my iPod into it via the mic input. (Hey it also has something they used to call a cassette player and a CD player, plus AM/FM.)

But why no supercool rechargeables? Shiat, for THAT price, they ought to stick an iBook batt on that sucker.

I agree with the others, too...this thing isn't attractive or cool, it's just a clunky box. That Klipsch is where I'd spend my money...if I didn't already have the Klipsch 2.0 setup.

I was also surprised that Jobs made all those stereo remarks, that he was gonna get rid of his, blah blah...and then this thing does not have any aux inputs. Yeah, it's got optical audio in, but hell, why not include other "stereo equipment" inputs if you're gonna be throwing down that trashtalk? And no fm tuner? Further room to take offense at the stereo comment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no malcontent; hell, I'm about as early adopter on Apple as they come. But not on this one, at least at this price. Lose a hundred bucks in the price, maybe we could talk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2006 07:52PM by SteveO.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 28, 2006 07:50PM
Lots of people pay $300 for the Bose version. But this looks like something you'll find at every high school cheerleader practice within the next 12 months.

-------
Cube, then iPod - Who Needs to Go at Apple?
Posted by: Rob Ruiz (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 08:24PM

Who at Apple is going to be seen as a liability and hopelessly out of touch before too long? Jobs? Schiller? Ives?
---------
What the heck is Apple doing?
Posted by: Pasquale (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 06:45PM

I'll repeat myself...What the heck is Apple doing? Apple needs to decide what kind of a company they are going to be. They are really good at producing excellent COMPUTER hardware and Software.

However, when did they think they would stand a chance at gaining a strong penetration in the consumer electronics market? The market for MP3 players is already dominated by many great players. Apple does not need to be there.

Folks, lets try to get back to 10% market share in the computer industry or give up the hardware altogether and just do the software end (OS, etc.) That is probably where the real power is and where Apple could "change the world".

But in either case, decide what kind of company you are going to be and don't get into places you shouldn't be. What's next? Apple digital camcorders and cameras? I think there is more than enough room for them to sell products there!??

What are your thoughts?
-------
wow apple just came with. . . a walkman!
Posted by: jdc (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 05:04PM

if you are over 25ish, its not really designed for you (im over 35)

i think i find it a big dud cause i just dont see a use for it--at least for me--ive got a cd in my car and home and office and by the pool --but. . . i guess im just missing the whole "why?" and "what for?"

is that what the world needs? anotehr MP3 player?

the big reason--even more than my age--is the death of napster

MP3s are cool, but free MP3s are cooler--if i would have had access to this device a long time ago (in the days of napster) i might have been much more interested in it--and i might have been more interested in napster too

its the cube of MP3 players, it will get more popular once its discontinued, and then be availbe on ebay for more than you paid for it

ipeace
---------
RE: This has got to be the worst introduction ever
Posted by: Redbeard (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 01:17PM

I just checked iPod's specs and description on Apple's site. Lame. Way too late to the market, especially so give the retail price. The description tries to appeal to audiophiles, but audiophiles don't want mp3s, they want full spectrum audio.

What gives? This is not groundbreaking and so should have never been billed that way. Apple has marketed their way into a stock slump.
---------
iSmell an...
Posted by: soapdishy (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 02:29PM

...iFlop.
--------
Steve Jobs is high...
Posted by: DM (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 04:38PM

The iPod is just another example of bad ideas. It is not revolutionary. It does not expand the market share objective. It doesn't invite non-mac users to start using macs. It is a bad, bad idea....and over priced at that. And the name is even retarded...iPod....Steve Jobs is an i-diot. What a friggin' disappointment!
---------
iPod, 2 years too late
Posted by: Norm (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2001 07:26PM

What the hell is apple thinking? They come out with a MP3 player 2 years after they hit the scene and are dying faster than anthrax spores.

Every MP3 player I've seen lately has been heavily discounted because people aren't buying them, they're too damn expensive, they're basically a $4.99 transistor radio with a memory card, so big deal, this one has a firewire hard drive with 5 gigs of storage space which is what makes it so expensive.

I don't think they're gonna sell at the price Apple is asking. $400 bucks, do I hear the words Newton fiasco?
--------------
RE: What iPod should have been
Posted by: WRCz (IP Logged)
Date: October 24, 2001 08:31AM

To everyone that says "don't mind the price, it'll come down..." remember, that a product like this has about six months (max) to prove itself profitable and if everyone sits on the sidelines waiting for price cuts or cheaper versions, then the product will be a failure.

Again, Cube comparisons are all too apt, both in Apple's misguided positioning and their subsequent stubborness to reposition it.
--------------

youknowwhere/list.php?1,page=7535
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 28, 2006 08:03PM
Nice post Mike. I do have to say that the tag is slightly high.

I just got back from the Apple Store, and they had all of the 'boombox' setups all over the place...including the one (picture) above, sounded great too...and another one (can't remember what brand) that was also very new, and slick-looking.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 28, 2006 08:05PM
LOL Mike :-D

Thanks for the walk down memory lane !

Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: February 28, 2006 08:21PM
I have three points to make:

1st. It has a combo aux input. It is a 1/8" jack with analog connections on the sides and an optical receiver at the end. You can use either a 1/8" to RCA adapter or a 1/8" to toslink adapter, to hook it up to most any type of audio equipment. (Onlys thing it isn't directly attachable to would be record players and devices with Digital Coax outputs. Both of which can be modified to an appropriate format for well under $50)

2nd. If you currently have a stereo with more than 2 speakers, or you have a stereo with more than 70 watts stereo, this isn't designed for you. This is designed for all the people who just want a small 'something' to listen to but don't want 'a huge box with 80 billion wires and speakers all over the room'. This is for the Bose crowd who would otherwise spend $500-1500 on a 'stereo' that is more marketing than product.

3rd. There's no doubt in my mind that this system has some major power amplification. It probably does 20-40 watts per channel, not to mention a bit of sound processing and equalization. For your average stereo, that's not a whole lot of work, but Apple decided to make it mobile for those few people who might use it as such on occasion. (Sports practices, parties, ect). Using C batteries, the life would be majorly cut down on the device. I do agree that a nice rechargeable battery and circuit would be nice, but remember what happened last time Apple released a portable audio device with a battery that could die? It probably had a bit of effect toward them not wanting to include one in this. If rechargeables are that big an issue, buy some Ni-MH rechargeables for it and charge them yourself.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 28, 2006 08:35PM
For $350, it would have been better marketed as a TRUE iPod BOOM BOX.

Make the iPod interface NON REMOVABLE and built in (scroll/click wheel), put a larger screen on it (like a true 4" or 7" LCD) for movies and the rechargeable iBook type battery and THEN try and market it. Also add the iPod FM remote circuits to be able to tune FM stations.

Add a deluxe model at $599 with a Combo Drive for burning CD's on the go and watching DVD's on the built in LCD.

Would possibly sell to iPod fans, Executives, rich High School "Boom Box" crowd, at the Beach, in the Break room at work, etc.

Just my .02¢
Re: Boom Box Bust-(Altec Lansing alternative for $188 shipped)
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 28, 2006 08:41PM
For $188 shipped from 6th Avenue Elecronics we got the Altec Lansing iM7 portable audio system, which even has video output for iPod Photo and Video iPod (like my wife's), to TV:

[www.alteclansing.com]

[www.6ave.com]

It sounds fantastic, has a nano-remote control that does everything, and can be powered by 8 D-cell batteries for portable use. They carry it at the Apple Store, for $249, and sell the heck out of it.

You could almost buy 2 of these (discounted) for the price of the new Apple system.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 28, 2006 08:45PM
Philips makes some portable stereos that are quite nice, play CDs, MP3 CDs, stream internet radio, and do 802.11 from your pc (Mac, too, i am told). All for less than this, but they are not as good looking and - true - they probably do not sound quite as good.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 28, 2006 10:12PM
this would've been cooler

Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 28, 2006 10:20PM
or this is even cooler

Posted by: endymion
Date: February 28, 2006 11:54PM
Seriously, the iPod should at least nest on the side or something. To put it hanging preciously off the top in the dock connector is just asking for an accident to happen.

Well, better that Apple should flop on this than a new Mac. This is totally irrelevant to their product line... or maybe it'll be an "April Fools" kind of thing... 'cause I'm definitely not at all interested in this product.
g=
Re: Boom Box Bash
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 01, 2006 11:40PM
This is in my humble opinion the biggest boo boo that Apple has done in quite some time.

I saw many similar comments about the iPod, back when it was only 5GB and $500. Stevie should have been ashamed.

Grimmie makes some solid points.

No, it doesn't have tweeters.

The box *is* 17lbs. Is it designed to be carried down the street on your shoulder? Um, no.

But it does have two 3" midrange and one 5" woofer. *One* of the 80mm speakers has almost as much surface area as all of any of the Altec/Bose/iBoom/Yada wannabes.

The cabinet is probably more stout than anything you all have alluded to. No resonances, no buzzing, no rattling. A combination of acoustic suspension and bass reflex.

The high end does appear to roll off a little early, but a lot of people will *never* notice it. Most people have a lot less high end hearing than they'd like to admit.

The power brick is inside. An on board power supply. How novel. And about fscking time. And D cells. Large capacity batteries instead of AA or even C cells. VERY nice. They add some weight, but they give a longer playing time. I like that.

The style is simple. To my eye, it's borderline elegant. It will blend with almost any interior. The iGroove looks like it belongs in an episode of B5. Or maybe in a Dr. Strange comic. I don't need speakers that look like little aliens. (But Creatures are OK.)

If this sounds as good as promised, or even nearly as good, the self-contained form factor and 108db SPL will be welcome in many homes and offices.

It's $50 more than the SoundDock and $70 more than the iGroove. For what you get, that doesn't bother me a bit.

The analogy to the Cube is very premature. I suppose that when it sells for $200 later this year, I'll be hoisted on my petard.

Until then, I'll wait to hear the thing before I pronounce it dead and proclaim Stevie a flaming idiot.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Boom Box Bust-(Altec Lansing alternative for $188 shipped)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 01, 2006 11:55PM
Philips makes some portable stereos that are quite nice, play CDs, MP3 CDs, stream internet radio, and do 802.11 from your pc (Mac, too, i am told). All for less than this, but they are not as good looking and - true - they probably do not sound quite as good.

I've got one.

I'm betting that the HF will play louder and sound far better (since we're all talking about facts not in evidence).

The weight is about the same, and unlike all the aforementioned devices, its speakers have MDF enclosures. Not great speaker material, but superior to the thin plastic stuff all the other guys use.

The iM line is fine, but I seriously doubt it will come close to competing in volume and sound quality. That's not to say that the iMs are bad. They're fine for many, but they're certainly not really good.

I really want to hear the HF before it's blown out of the stores at $99.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 08, 2006 11:07AM
ArtP: brilliant, simply brilliant. Apple could use you in their design department.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020