advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help...I'm fed up with Vonage
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: February 28, 2006 09:33PM
Just spent 45 minutes on hold for support from Vonage. No help and it still sounds horrible.
Thinking of giving up on VOIP. I can't go back to POTS.

Do you think a cell phone and this might work?
[www.phonelabs.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help...I'm fed up with Vonage
Posted by: elmo3
Date: February 28, 2006 09:48PM
Why can't you go back to POTS?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: February 28, 2006 09:54PM
Too expensive- $25 for Vonage vs $55 Verizon America's Choice POTS.
Thinking of using just my cell with this adaptor for multi-room access. I've never used this. Anyone know if it works?
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 28, 2006 09:58PM
A friend of mine mentioned a DLink or Linksys router that prioritizes VoIP packets .vs Data packets. It may help your situation.

You aren't Folding while chatting on the phone are U?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 28, 2006 09:59PM
SunRocket.com $199/year including all taxes and fees--you get prorated if you decide to cancel.
Thye have had ups and downs--but seem to fine now.
Posted by: ATT
Date: March 01, 2006 12:39AM
How's your internet connection? does it have anything to do with that?

I have Lingo, which gets pretty poor review. However, I can't find any other company that can beat the unlimited calls to asia plan.

Originally, I thought I get poor call quality because Lingo is bad. However, I have brought my voip modem to friend's house and also testing it at work, i realized that it was my crappy upload rate from Charter that's giving me the poor quality.

Check your upload speed for your internet. It makes a big difference.
Date: March 01, 2006 06:24AM
Joseph C. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too expensive- $25 for Vonage vs $55 Verizon
> America's Choice POTS.

The phrase, "You get what you pay for" comes readily to mind.

You can have something that DOESN'T work for $25, or you can have something that DOES work for $55.

I love hearing people talk about the solution to the problem is "too expensive".

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Posted by: MacMagus
Date: March 01, 2006 06:39AM
Oh, crud. I've been on the verge of moving to Vonage. 'Figure I can save $35-50 dollars per month with it.

My major concern is that broadband ISPs are f-ing with VOIP packets, causing slowdowns and packet loss with substantial loss in sound quality.

Until I find some people living in this area who have Vonage and can verify that they're getting decent service over the local wires, I'm not ready to commit to it.
Date: March 01, 2006 08:22AM
A friend of mine tried it starting a couple months ago; he wrote the following to me two weeks ago:

- - -

I can't currently recommend Vonage. Dropped calls, poor reception. They're very aware they have a problem in this area. Should one call about technical issues call the "cancel service" number, not the one listed for service problems. The money people will immediately connect you with the "advanced service team," Americans, while the other number will get you a clueless Jugdish in India. The one I talked to actually asked me if their device was plugged in. I thought that was a joke or Internet legend.

As Vonage describes itself you are able to run only one phone off their adapter. Who has only one phone? I have a pair of cordlesses which piggyback and two other stand-alone cordlesses. I unplugged the hardwired emergency phone since there's no point in keeping it. I could get a base cordless setup like my piggyback with more satellite units, but what I did was plug the adapter's output into the house wiring. Some guy called Clark Howard and explained why this should work, and it works perfectly in enough instances for me to conclude it's not the source of the reception issues.

Add in no phone when there's no power, cable or Internet and the 911 ambiguity I'd say stay put until they get things sorted out.

---------------

Posted by: reezekeys
Date: March 01, 2006 08:48AM
I have Sunrocket. There were issues this past summer, then things settled down and everything was fine until a week or two ago, when there was an outage that lasted a few hours.

IMO you have to accept the fact that right now VOIP can not be as reliable as POTS. It's how much "less reliable" you can live with, versus the money you save, that will be different for everybody. SR tech support is outsourced but I haven't needed them. Voice quality is good, and the outage last week didn't mess me up. If that was a blip then I can live with it.

One thing I did was NOT port my POTS number over. AAMOF I still have the POTS but am switching to a "dial-tone-only" service for about $8.50/month. Once VOIP reliabilty comes up a few more notches I'll be comfortable ditching POTS entirely.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: March 01, 2006 08:52AM
I have vonage and it works great. The only problem I have with them was the 8 month waiting period it took to transfer my cell phone number to the vonage line. But, I wasn't paying anything for vonage in that time frame either. If you use the Linksys router that they provide, it does prioritize phone quality. Also, in your online account settings, you can set the quality/file size of your phone. If you set it for lower quality (honestly, not much of a sound difference) you might have a difference.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 01, 2006 09:18AM
There are usually alternatives to Verizon service. I got sick of being reamed by them and got AT&T local service for $20 (plus the fees that bloated the bill to about $32). It's now costing about $36 a month including fees. Still not dirt cheap, but $25-$30 a month less than Verizon was costing.
Posted by: John B.
Date: March 01, 2006 10:11AM
I have had Vonage for about 18 months and really can't complain either. I have all of my house wiring connected to the Vonage adapter, so all of my phones, my fax machine, and my 2 DirecTiVos all work with Vonage. Worst-case signal quality for me has been on par with cell phone service.

On the other hand, my parents switched from POTS to Vonage about 6 months ago, and have had more frequent voice signal quality issues. They are not heavy computer users, so I don't believe that they are impacting the quality, but more that their neighborhood, which was one of the first in their area to have cable modems, now has the lowest bandwidth/most oversubscription of bandwidth in the area. Most of their "problem" times correspond with the times of the day/week you would expect more local Internet traffic...typically mid afternoon to mid evening.

So long story short, I think a lot of the problems people have with VOIP quality have more to do with the availability of bandwidth in their area.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: March 01, 2006 12:40PM
I completely agree with what John B. says. A lot of the trouble that I've seen comes from the ISP and not Vonage as far as quality goes. Also, if you're using a wireless network and a cordless telephone (2.4ghz) at the same time, you'll have a noticable decline in quality. Just like you do with certain microwaves and other common things in the house.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 02, 2006 09:22AM
I have 2 separate lines with Vonage, running over Comcast's internet cables. I'm using the basic $15/mo option on each line.

I very rarely have any "no connection" problems. I do have times when audio quality is poor, but 3 minutes later it is fine again.

I have the main phone # configured to ring my wife's cell phone should the VoIP system be unusable for what ever reason. That event has been triggered about 3 times in the year I have used Vonage.

My brother, 6 miles away, also has Vonage via Comcast lines. He has had much more phone grief, but every time he has phone problems, he also has internet and cable TV problems.

I've come to the conclusion that problems ascribed to Vonage aren't always necessarily Vonage problems, but could be ISP problems. It is very difficult sometimes to figure out who is at fault.

Each of us has decided to continue with Vonage for the time being.

An advantage of Vonage, and I would assume other VoIP providers, is that you can always check your account online to see if you missed any calls. All calls, in and out, are logged by date and time, for each phone #.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020