advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Using Airport Express to extend hotel network
Posted by: Drew
Date: August 08, 2008 09:50PM
I'm at a resort that has wireless internet available. However, I've noticed that the connection strength varies considerably by location in the room, with the line of site from the lanai the best connection. I've tried setting up an Airport Express to "extend" the connection. It seems to be set up correctly. However, I only have the choice to connect via the hotel network. In other words, I don't see the name of my newly created Express in the list of choices to connect to.

When using Express to extend a wireless network, will I only see the name of the wireless network in my list of connection choices or the names of my Express network and the hotel wireless network?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Using Airport Express to extend hotel network
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 08, 2008 10:10PM
When you set it to extend an existing network--the original network name is all you can see----if it is a wireless network you are tying to extend.
Not all routers support WDS.

If there is ethernet in the room, just hook the Express to that, and then you have your own wireless network.
Date: August 08, 2008 10:17PM
Thanks for the reply. No ethernet in the room. I can see what looks to be the wireless antenna on a hut by the pool from my lanai. As I mentioned, when on the lanai the connection is much better than when in the room and shielded by a wall.

I went through the set-up protocol for the Express. It said successful and when I use the Airport config utility (Internet panel) I notice a domain name that must be a local host. The light is solid green. I assume that the Express is connecting to the wireless system of the hotel, but I still have the same poor reception inside the room and better reception on the lanai. How do I know that my computer is connected to the Express, which I've placed on the lanai, for Internet and not directly to the hotel wireless system?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 08, 2008 10:42PM
What you are trying to do is create a wireless bridge between two wireless routers. In most cases, that can only be done between two routers of the same make/brand. I learned that the hard way.

The Express will be "set up" correctly, but because it is trying to bridge signals from a different brand of router, it will merely sit there and not do anything, since it cannot interpret the signal it is supposed to be receiving. i.e. - I don't think what you are trying to do will work.

I could be wrong, and I hope so, but I've gone through what you are going through in my own home and had to sacrifice airtunes and use both of my expresses to make a wireless bridge to get internet into my room. Express simply would not work with Netgear or Linksys. In both instances, the express did what yours is doing...
Date: August 08, 2008 10:50PM
Hmm, don't they market these things as able to do just what I'm trying to do?

Oh well, thanks for the reply.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: August 08, 2008 11:10PM
Back to the pool.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 09, 2008 12:12AM
Drew

No, they don't.
Date: August 09, 2008 02:06AM
Article Accelerator
Drew

No, they don't.

From Apple's online store:

"Take it with you
Lightweight and compact, AirPort Express is built for mobility, so you can create an instant wireless network at your hotel, job site, or wherever you need one."

I assumed that meant that you can "bridge" or "extend" an existing wireless network just about anywhere. Now I realize that what they mean is that i could turn a wired network in a hotel to a wireless one.

Ah well, as noted above, back to the pool.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: August 09, 2008 06:58AM
Drew, my main man, take your vacation. Yes, go back to the pool.

Anyway, thanks for posting; I have been thinking about getting an Express.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020