advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Contact lens users: experiences / impressions?
Posted by: Kiva
Date: August 28, 2008 02:24PM
Greetings

I am considering getting contact lenses instead of dropping $300 on another pair of prescription sunglasses. Also, mountain biking in the evening is starting to get dangerous, as without my glasses, i lose some depth perception in low light..

I once tried contacts in college and *hated* them. I just couldn't get used to them, as it was like I constantly had dust in my eye or something. That was almost 20 years ago, though. I had 1 'gas permeable' and one 'toric' lens (I have a mild astigmatism).

I have a friend who has a gnarly astigmatism and she swears by them. Have they improved that much? Will my eyes be less irritated? Do you just get used to them?

If it matters, I don't need my glasses to drive, technically, but if I don't have them, reading the computer screen is a pain and i can't read the street signs until it's too late, if you know what I mean smiling smiley

kiva

----------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 02:26PM by Kiva.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Contact lens users: experiences / impressions?
Posted by: Linda2
Date: August 28, 2008 02:36PM
I have worn contacts since I was 13..... a long, long time. There is an adjustment period but it's not bad at all. I started with hard contacts and now wear soft ones and would never consider going back to glasses. If I were you, I would try them and maybe give them more of chance than you did years ago. I love mine and do not even realize that I am wearing them.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 28, 2008 02:38PM
. . .I think it depends on your opthalmologist (sp?). . .the 1st time I got contacts. . .my so called doctor made me buy a few months worth of contacts from him. . .I had the same problem as you, felt like dust in my eye and my eyes would get very tired. . .went back and he said. . .basically. . .oh well some people can't wear them. .. huh? then why did he make me buy so many lenses from him. . .

anywayz. . .gave up. . then a few years later tried them again. . .my eye doctor (a different doctor) tested me and gave them to me and they worked no problem at all. . .key is finding a good doctor and DO NOT buy lenses directly from the doctor. . .just say you want to try them out 1st. . .then if they are o.k. get a scrip and buy from the cheaper online retailers. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 02:41PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 28, 2008 03:02PM
You should definitely try contacts.

My eyes are shaped roughly like footballs and I get excellent vision from contacts. I wear Preference Toric by Cooper Vision. These are 90-day lenses: you buy four pair and replace them quarterly but in my experience they can last a lot longer than that. They are fairly expensive. These are soft lenses and I find them really comfortable.

Your eye doctor can advise you about which lenses are available in your prescription.

I'm 47, very nearsighted with strong astigmatism so I have to wear toric lenses with a pretty wild prescription. My near vision is not good (age related presbyopia) so if I wore glasses full time they'd be bi- or trifocals. I wear my contacts mainly when I go out, especially during the day. With my contacts I use reading glasses as needed, which is kind of a pain but it's a trade off for the excellent distance vision I get. I do it this way because it helps my photography. I wear my glasses which are slightly biased for near vision for a good part of each day.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 28, 2008 03:07PM
super heavy astigmatism in my right eye and tried contacts a few years ago

hated them for several reasons

first, could never get good vision -- although my eye doc told me that might be the case before hand -- he was right. contact always moved and focus was always an issue

dry eyes -- ive never needed drops before -- but after contacts dry eyes were always an issue

who knows if things have changed that much in the last few years?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 28, 2008 03:28PM
i wore contacts for almost 20 years before I got lasered. The last 10 years were soft, gas permeable lenes, I never really got great vision from them, and in the end I could barely see at night.

Before that I had "hard"contacts--the really were a hard plastic. They were tough to get used to, but the vision was always really good, esp at night.

i can't say I recommend them tho, the left a callus on my cornea. All I can say is good luck! Maybe look into laser surgery.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 28, 2008 03:47PM
contact always moved and focus was always an issue
dry eyes -- ive never needed drops before -- but after contacts dry eyes were always an issue

Yeah, with torics I occasionally get one that tends to rotate out of position which causes blur. Sometimes it's because the lens is dirty and a gentle cleaning will solve the issue. I always keep my last set around as spares when I go to a fresh pair, just in case I get a lens that won't behave.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: August 28, 2008 04:49PM
Check with your eye doctor and find out exactly what kind of contacts he'd recommend for your vision needs. I loved having contacts, but I have moderate to severe astigmatism, and one eye is decidedly worse. I'm also very farsighted in both eyes (I'm one of those trifocal types.) By the time the doctor found a combination of lenses that corrected my vision, they really weren't all that efficient for the primary purpose - being able to see. I had one toric lens in the eye that was least effected by the farsightedness, and the other eye was corrected for reading, but there wasn't any room left to correct for the astigmatism, so even my ability to read wasn't all that great. The contacts were OK for driving, but I couldn't do much close work or reading without suffering a lot of eyestrain.

Overall, I think you'd find the newer contacts much more comfortable than those of 20 years ago, but make sure you're not going to have to give up too much correction to get them.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 28, 2008 04:51PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020