advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bummer drag! Daughter's car stolen/totalled!
Posted by: davester
Date: September 04, 2008 01:00AM
My daughter's Miata was ripped off from in front of her place and recovered by the cops the next day. They wouldn't give us any further information about it, so after jumping through all sorts of official hoops, she finally went down to the really bad part of town to get it out of police impound. Unfortunately, the thing is totalled...something the police neglected to mention. Someone's (hopefully the perp's) head had gone through the windshield and both front and rear were smashed up, with the front wheels bent back and not responsive to steering input. We just got through spending many hours installing a roll bar and getting brand new tires put on. The thieves probably got more miles out of the tires than she did. Bummer!

This is our second totalled car this year. The first one was an incredible battle with the other parties insurance company to get any money out of. Back to battlestations again!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bummer drag! Daughter's car stolen/totalled!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 04, 2008 01:11AM
Sorry to hear that davester. Good luck with all the details...

=wr=
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 04, 2008 01:15AM
Sorry Davester. Hope it never happens to my Miata...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: September 04, 2008 06:06AM
So much for all the extra friendly we're there for you when you need us insurance co TV ads. They're not bashful about charging you what they do, don't feel obligated to cause them any less pain. Good luck.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: robfilms
Date: September 04, 2008 06:09AM
davester-

what a drag. thankfully, the idiots who did the crime didn't cause more havoc which could be linked to the car and thus to you. small consolation but hopefully the insurance issues will be straight forward. good luck.

be well

rob
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 04, 2008 06:35AM
Yikes!

I just read an article in one of the financial magazines that suggested that having an independent agent can be worth it when it comes time to submitting a claim. You aren't talking to somebody on a phone, but rather looking your agent in the eye.

Good luck!
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: September 04, 2008 06:51AM
I've dealt with car insurance companies for 20 years while being in the body shop business. They're a pain in the a$$.
Hope things work out for you.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: September 04, 2008 07:29AM
Michael
Yikes!

I just read an article in one of the financial magazines that suggested that having an independent agent can be worth it when it comes time to submitting a claim. You aren't talking to somebody on a phone, but rather looking your agent in the eye.

Good luck!

Looking a sales agent who can't do anything but be sympathetic with you isn't an answer. While they may be more knowledgeable of the claim system, they have as little input into insurance company decisions as you have.
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: September 04, 2008 07:29AM
Michael
Yikes!

Good luck!

Looking a sales agent who can't do anything but be sympathetic with you in the eye isn't an answer. While they may be more knowledgeable of the claim system, they have as little input into insurance company decisions as you have.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 04, 2008 07:43AM
Dav...we are all so sorry. Best of luck with the insurance people.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 04, 2008 08:24AM
davester - good luck. Yeah, it would be karma if the head that went through the windshield belongs to the person who decided to steal the car. Just too bad there isn't a caught suspect who can be made to pay to make things right.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 04, 2008 08:37AM
Did they also charge you for the tow to the yard and "storage"? That always kills me. Sure, your car was just stolen, damaged and now you have to go get it and pay about $125 for the tow and another $60 (or more) for the luxury of keeping it in their crappy tow yard.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 04, 2008 09:35AM
mbs, it seems to me the insurance company (depending on one's coverage) will be on the hook for all the fees, eventually.

One of the negotiating hooks a friend used for a higher cash settlement was the fact that storage of his stolen car was costing the insurance company big time.

And eventually the police report will be available, and no doubt mandatory for the insurance company to process any claim. It's public info, so just about anybody can get a copy. Let the insurance company get it and give you a copy; that way you won't have to pay.

Good luck, dav!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: September 04, 2008 10:21AM
A PITA to get paid by YOUR insurance company?

Yet another reason to only pay for liability and to self-insure for comprehensive/collision if you can afford it.

The amount of premiums I've saved in the 20 years I've gone without collision, comprehensive, rental car, etc has been more than enough to buy 2 new cars.
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 04, 2008 10:56AM
That really sucks. I've had a couple cars stolen, but both were POS cars With one of them they actually did me a favor and saved me towing it away (it was a retired taxi with several hundred K on it). A fresh new Miata hits a lot harder. Here where I live a stealing a car is treated about the same as jay walking. Hope your daughter gets a decent resolution out of this.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 04, 2008 11:29AM
Look on the bright side - nobody in your family was hurt when the car was stolen. I just got an e-mail alert from the local newspaper; some poor guy was killed after being run down by the person who stole his truck.
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 05, 2008 05:07PM
Did the first total get claimed on your insurance of did you just work thru the other parties?

Two totals in one year would yield you a drop in coverage from some companies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020