advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I was preparing to list a pretty rare object on eBay, and just saw that a similar one has been listed.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: September 05, 2008 04:06PM
Bids are are already at $350 on first day. Mine is a different color with a slight manufacturing variation. I have a tray that the other seller does not have. I hate to split the items up, but I wonder about listing tray separately in order to get more money.

While I don't want to mess the other sellers auction up by directly competing, and that would also be giving me competition, I would like to take advantage of the fact that there are some buyers lurking on the site right now. There is also no guarantee that when I list mine I won't get additional competition from a new seller -it happens to me every time.

What would you do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I was preparing to list a pretty rare object on eBay, and just saw that a similar one has been listed.
Posted by: karsen
Date: September 05, 2008 04:08PM
I wouldn't hesitate to put something on Ebay because of the "competition". List it.

Re: I was preparing to list a pretty rare object on eBay, and just saw that a similar one has been listed.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: September 05, 2008 04:19PM
I would wait if it is indeed a rare item (but if there is already one listed....?). If you wait, you'll see what the previously listed one sells for. You can then get a better idea of the value of the item and what to expect. Based on that info, you could set up a Buy It Now price if that is something that interests you.

If it's something rare and high value you'll be doing yourself a disservice in my opinion. You'll probably be lowering the final price on the other auction which then may artificially set a lower expected price on yours. Just my opinion/experience. Best of luck.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: September 05, 2008 04:26PM
It's good that your item has a tray ;)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Date: September 05, 2008 04:40PM
LOL on the tray.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 05, 2008 04:45PM
I would wait until either just before or just after the current auction ends.

I both strategies have there pluses and minuses.

By listing an hour or so before the close of the current auction you will potentially catch the eye of bidders that might already be watching the other auction. If your item is "better" or more complete than the other item then they may wait and bid on yours.

By waiting until just after the current auction closes you will get a better idea of what your item might be worth, but, you will never know if the high bidder from the previous auction might have spent more for your item or not...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2008 05:07PM
i'd take good pics of it - being held by strippers.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 05, 2008 06:02PM
Place a low bid on the other item; that might let you see who the bidders are and you could email them to let them know about your's after the auction is over.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: September 05, 2008 07:18PM
anonymouse1
Place a low bid on the other item; that might let you see who the bidders are and you could email them to let them know about your's after the auction is over.

Or it might mean you will have two of them to sell.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: September 05, 2008 07:32PM
anonymouse1

And have your account suspended.
Date: September 05, 2008 07:41PM
There is no low bid, item is at $350.00

I am trying to make money, not spend it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020