advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Two dead ministacks ?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 07, 2008 12:54PM
I've had 2 ministacks die in a year and a half. First one lasted several months, the second a bit over a year. Is this typical of the ministack v2? I can understand that it's out of warranty, but with my admittedly small sample, I'm averaging a 9-month lifespan. What's been your experience with them? I'm leery of getting the v3, but they fit the mini so well.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Two dead ministacks ?
Posted by: ScottG
Date: September 07, 2008 12:58PM
How did they die- was it the drive, or some component of the ministack itself? I have a v3 and, touch wood, it has been reliable so far. However, it is too noisy for me, so I probably wouldn't get another one.

scott
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: September 07, 2008 01:28PM
That sucks!
Mine's still going strong, with a Mac mini sitting on top of it.

Posted by: DRR
Date: September 07, 2008 01:33PM
My ministack 1 lasted about 7 days. Not the drive at all, the drive is still going strong in a Lacie case. Wasn't really surprised, struck me from the beginning as a cheap piece of equipment.
Posted by: roshi
Date: September 07, 2008 01:41PM
I have 9 of them, all versions - 1, 2, and v3. In use for varying years, 6 years to 1 year. One of the old ones failed a couple of years ago, could be because I constantly swap drives. The others all work, all going strong.

I use them sometimes opened up, to format and clone archival hard drives. I also toss them around a bit, put one in a ziplock baggie and carry it around as "offsite" storage.
Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: September 07, 2008 02:01PM
I bought a v2 refurb. It was DoA. It was replaced and died 2 months later. It was not the drive (which is now sitting quite happily in an Acomdata ministack knockoff, trouble free for about 6 months now).
Posted by: Monster
Date: September 07, 2008 02:17PM
I have a Firewire port that went bad on one of mine, still works otherwise though.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: incognegro
Date: September 07, 2008 02:18PM
oy, just bought a V2 on ebay, hope it works for a while.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 07, 2008 03:25PM
roshi
I have 9 of them, all versions - 1, 2, and v3. In use for varying years, 6 years to 1 year. One of the old ones failed a couple of years ago, could be because I constantly swap drives. The others all work, all going strong.

How do you have a miniStack that is 6 years old, when the Mac mini was introduced, as a G4 model, in January of 2005, and this it is now merely Mid 2008??? **

How do you confuse 3 years with 6 years? The miniStack wasn't available instantly upon the release of the Mac mini....

As for the question, mine is a v1, bought in early 2006, as the v2 was coming out,
and it has seen two horizontal fans and is having FireWire issues that were
otherwise thought to be attributed to other items in the chain - as it was my "Firewire Hub."

It has seen very little use - as I moved 3 months after I bought it, and didn't use it again
(other than to put a new drive into it, supplied by my place of employment) and then
back to the box, until around the beginning of this year - where it went on full time duty,
and that's when the fan bearings locked up.

Sadly - the fan screws strip with any screwdriver, and require being drilled out in order
to get to them. I discovered mine were "pre-stripped" - I suspect this was not the first
fan, as I bought it as an "open box."

I like the matching footprint, but I use it now more often with my MacBook, rather than
any of the 13 G3/G4 machines with FW, (not including the Mac mini), so the FireWire
issue has me a bit concerned about longevity of any sort.

I wonder if the other versions out there are "identical" to this? I find it hard to believe
that they are not, except for the ability to custom order the side ports in volume, etc.
Regardless of brand..... Does anyone have a different brand (such as Lacie) that
also has an NTech box as well?

**MacTracker & [support.apple.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 03:30PM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: September 07, 2008 08:45PM
Jimmypoo
How do you have a miniStack that is 6 years old, when the Mac mini was introduced, as a G4 model, in January of 2005, and this it is now merely Mid 2008??? **

I was thinking the same thing, and even had to go to everymac.com to check it out...

I didn't think time went by quite that fast.

Jeff
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 07, 2008 11:31PM
I've had mine going strong for 8 years now.

Just kidding. I don't even own a Mini.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 07, 2008 11:52PM
On both of mine, they stopped spinning up, though the PS brick would power other another external drive I have. On both, the HD was fine, ran well in another enclosure.

Sounds to me as if perhaps Newer has a better reputation for their old processor upgrades than for their external enclosures.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll pass on the ministack from now on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 11:53PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2008 11:13AM
My V2 is going strong after about 2-3 years... no problems
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: September 08, 2008 11:36AM
I invented the ministack in the 60s, I have a thousand of them, all stacked on top of eachother, I have the tallest ministack stack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020