advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blu-ray connection to a 720p TV: HDMI vs. component?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 09, 2008 10:40AM
Hi,

Just wondering if one only has a 720p TV, if connecting a Blu-ray player via HDMI or component will make a difference?

I know if your TV is capable of full 1080p, then to take advantage of that, you have to use the HDMI connection. But, for a 720p TV, my understanding is that HDMI or component will output the same resolution image.

Obviously, aside from the video, if one uses component, then you have to connect audio separately. So, I'm just wondering how the video will or will not be affected.

Thanks!

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blu-ray connection to a 720p TV: HDMI vs. component?
Posted by: Cary
Date: September 09, 2008 10:56AM
HDMI is a package of component cables and audio, with DRM protections built-in. The quality of signal should be the same, either HDMI or component.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 09, 2008 11:01AM
Component is analog. The quality of the cable matters for that. A $6 HDMI cable should give you a perfect picture. It is possible you could see some artifacts with a $40 component cable. Component is the highest quality analog option. I would go with HDMI if I had to make a choice between the two.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Tangental hijacking in progress!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2008 11:06AM
Where does DRM come into play when using HDMI cables (or an HDMI cable, as the case may be)?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Tangental hijacking in progress!
Date: September 09, 2008 11:09AM
RAMd®d
Where does DRM come into play when using HDMI cables (or an HDMI cable, as the case may be)?

I think that's what HDCP is, right?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 09, 2008 11:14AM
RAMd®d

DRM/HDCP prevents you from connecting to a display that doesn't support HDCP (no picture for copy-protected shows) or from recording the signal being output over HDMI (i.e. if you connected it to an HDMI-input card in a computer, which do exist).

Supposedly, there's a proposal to allow broadcasters to set a flag that would allow some shows to be displayed ONLY over HDMI. Thus preventing recording the show to another device via any analog outputs. But this would severely limit the audience and has been struck down once before.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2008 11:17AM
Ah, thanks pinkoos and Gareth!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 09, 2008 11:28AM
You can tell a difference--at least I can, and I don't think there's anything special about my eyes. Biggest difference I see is that colors are muddier via component when compared to HDMI.

That's from an HD Tivo, though, not a Blu-Ray player (don't have one of those yet)...
Posted by: davester
Date: September 09, 2008 11:29AM
There are definitely numerous HD-DVDs (and I believe Blu-Ray disks) that will only play using reduced definition over component cables (due to the "copyright protection". I've encountered this issue many times since I have an older component-only HDTV.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 09, 2008 11:31AM
davester
There are definitely numerous HD-DVDs (and I believe Blu-Ray disks) that will only play using reduced definition over component cables (due to the "copyright protection". I've encountered this issue many times since I have an older component-only HDTV.

Interesting.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 09, 2008 11:53AM
davester

True. My HD-A3 won't upscale standard DVDs via component, just over HDMI. Plays HD-DVDs at full resolution either way, though (go figure).
Posted by: Undrpsi
Date: September 09, 2008 01:16PM
DRM/HDCP prevents you from connecting to a display that doesn't support HDCP (no picture for copy-protected shows) or from recording the signal being output over HDMI (i.e. if you connected it to an HDMI-input card in a computer, which do exist).

Wow...never heard that.

My xbox 360 will only run in 720 or 1080 mode with component but needs HDMI fior the attached HD-DVD player to work (and to upconvert).

According to Direct TV guy (not the usual a-hole installer wanna be's) HDMI has very little signal "leak" even over cheap cables....but Component needs quality cables (so the $6 HDMI vs $40 Component is validated).

I have had several people tell me this.....IF you are ONLY running 720 resolution...there is ALMOST no difference between them (all things being equal)...BUT if you plan on running 1080 you MUST have HDMI....

Z'at help?
smiling smiley

Jay
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 11, 2008 08:05AM
With good source, cables, and monitor, there is absolutely no difference at 720p. As a matter of fact, I would prefer component for lack of handshaking issues.

The flag that prevents Blu-Ray material playing over analog in full resolution has to exist on a disc, it is not player-specific. As far as i know, it currently does not exist on any Blu-Ray discs, and I do not think it does on HD-DVD, either, but am less sure of that.

However, it is quite common that newer equipment does not upscale DVDs through component. This is immaterial with better TVs, as most of them will do a better upscaling job than either BD or cheap upscaling DVD players. People do not like to believe this because of all the hype surrounding upscaling players. On the other hand, if you have a more expensive upscaling player, like an Oppo or the discontinued Toshiba X2 HD-DVD player, or an inexpensive TV, than you really want the upscaling to be done in the player.
Date: September 19, 2008 08:41AM
Thanks for all of the informative replies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020