advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Dropped the 160GB?!
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: September 09, 2008 01:14PM
So now my *only* choice is the refurb iPod.

Well, that makes the decision easier.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Dropped the 160GB?!
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 09, 2008 01:18PM
You would think they would have added one to the touch line as the iPod HD. Or something like that.
g=
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: September 09, 2008 01:29PM
Funny how Steve said something like "We're dropping the thick one" rather than dropping the one with the most storage.

Sales were probably weak on that model.
Posted by: Jem
Date: September 09, 2008 01:32PM
Kramerica
Funny how Steve said something like "We're dropping the thick one" rather than dropping the one with the most storage.

Sales were probably weak on that model.

It really makes sense since the iPod Classic isn't such a great video watching platform, especially now that the Touch is here. Probably not a LOT of people with music collections that would require a 160GB iPod... myself excluded smiling smiley
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 09, 2008 01:36PM
The 160 will work almost perfectly for my selected tunes and Apple Lossless . . . Guess it will be a refurb . . .

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 09, 2008 01:38PM
WHiiP
The 160 will work almost perfectly for my selected tunes and Apple Lossless . . . Guess it will be a refurb . . .

Same here....

I don't get Steve's fascination with thin. I'd rather have some function over form in this regard. I'd rather have a 160 gig Touch. That would be sweet!

Or even a 120 gig Touch.
Date: September 09, 2008 01:40PM
Okay... dug through the site... not so bad as it could be... They have the last of the new ones on clearance, too.

'Don't need to take a chance on a refurb.
Posted by: john-o
Date: September 09, 2008 01:48PM
Don't need to take a chance on a refurb.

Huh? How is buying a refurb "taking a chance"? I almost always buy refurbs, since they're the only way to save a little $, and they come with the same 1-yr warranty as new. In my view, that makes 'em completely risk-free...

In fact, some would argue that a new one has a slightly higher risk factor, as it hasn't gone through the once-over that a refurb has....

If they didn't have the same warranty as new, I could see some hesitation, but as it is, I just don't understand the concern.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: September 09, 2008 01:55PM
Sam3
WHiiP

I don't get Steve's fascination with thin.

Have you seen him lately?

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 09, 2008 01:56PM
I agree-- sales on the 160G were probably too light for Stevie's taste.

And I think the 120G will do well. But I would like to see the touch storage jump up a lot, and the 'Phone, some more.

I got an 80G Classic and I like the thinness. I'd have gone for the 120 if it had been available.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 09, 2008 02:08PM
> It really makes sense since the iPod Classic isn't such a great video watching platform

I have a cell phone for portable video. Now that I've downsized, I don't have the space (or desire) to store the hundreds of CD's that I kept in my old car so I need a portable player with decent capacity for music... and I've waited fruitlessly for 2 months for an iPod refresh. sad smiley

> Huh? How is buying a refurb "taking a chance"?

It's sometimes shocking to old-timer Apple customers, but Apple's refurb-quality has slipped considerably over the last couple of years. I've had to deal with dozens of bad refurb Macs for clients and friends with increasing frequency. The DOA or severely scratched rate on refurb iPods is pretty darned high lately, too.
Date: September 09, 2008 02:35PM
MacMagus
> It really makes sense since the iPod Classic isn't such a great video watching platform

I have a cell phone for portable video. Now that I've downsized, I don't have the space (or desire) to store the hundreds of CD's that I kept in my old car so I need a portable player with decent capacity for music... and I've waited fruitlessly for 2 months for an iPod refresh. sad smiley

Even using Apple Lossless you should be able to get several hundred CDs onto a iPod 120GB. Using AAC 128 or MP3, you can get over a thousand CDs on there. I'm not suggesting your need isn't real, just that at a certain point extra capacity for a "mostly audio" device becomes overkill for an increasing number of people. If they keep the iPod Classic at all, I suspect it will keep the same slim form factor and eventually will increase again in capacity. There just doesn't seem to be much practical difference between 120 and 160GB right now, so why have both?

MacMagus

> Huh? How is buying a refurb "taking a chance"?

It's sometimes shocking to old-timer Apple customers, but Apple's refurb-quality has slipped considerably over the last couple of years. I've had to deal with dozens of bad refurb Macs for clients and friends with increasing frequency. The DOA or severely scratched rate on refurb iPods is pretty darned high lately, too.

Here I actually agree with you. Especially on the Macs. It seems almost 50% of the refurbs I work with eventually have *some* issue that crops up over time... often after the one year is out. For instance, discovering a bad RAM slot that wasn't needed when the computer was first purchased, but WAS later when the upgrade was performed 18 months in to ownership...
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 09, 2008 02:36PM
MacMagus
Don't need to take a chance on a refurb.

Can you not buy applecare for refurbs anymore?

Date: September 09, 2008 03:52PM
> Can you not buy applecare for refurbs anymore?

Buying AppleCare for an iPod is viscerally repugnant to me.

> Even using Apple Lossless you should be able to get several hundred CDs onto a iPod 120GB.

About 200. Not enough by around 3x just for my car music and much of my music is AIFF. I'm not inclined to re-rip or reencode my whole library and then juggle an additional audio library made just for an iPod.

With a 160GB I should be able to put a lot of my car music back in the car. I was hoping that Apple would upgrade the storage so that I could fit more, but I guess I'm stuck for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 03:53PM by MacMagus.
Date: September 09, 2008 04:13PM
MacMagus
> Can you not buy applecare for refurbs anymore?

Buying AppleCare for an iPod is viscerally repugnant to me.

> Even using Apple Lossless you should be able to get several hundred CDs onto a iPod 120GB.

About 200. Not enough by around 3x just for my car music and much of my music is AIFF. I'm not inclined to re-rip or reencode my whole library and then juggle an additional audio library made just for an iPod.

With a 160GB I should be able to put a lot of my car music back in the car. I was hoping that Apple would upgrade the storage so that I could fit more, but I guess I'm stuck for now.

If you MUST have lossless (and non-compressed, as in AIFF)...

and

If you MUST have 600+ CD capacity...

and

If you MUST have it available in your car...

then I would suggest getting a laptop with a VERY large capacity hard drive, because even the 160GB iPod won't get you there... as you point out, by a long shot.

I think my point is well made that your particular needs are in an extreme minority given the way most people use there music. There is a solution for you, but it definitely isn't in an iPod form given the current market and component costs.

The old saying is: Good, fast and cheap... pick 2.

In your case it might be: high quality audio, high capacity audio (storage), and mobile audio... pick 2.

As long as you need all three, you will need a solution that comes at a very significant premium... which may not be the market Apple is currently courting with the iPod Classic.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 09, 2008 04:59PM
I think this is what you need
[www.macvroom.com]
Date: September 09, 2008 05:01PM
> I would suggest getting a laptop...

I have a carputer. It won't fit in my new car without a LOT of work that I don't have time for. The new car has iPod controls built in...

> As long as you need all three, you will need a solution that comes at a very
> significant premium... which may not be the market Apple is currently
> courting with the iPod Classic.

Well, yeah. That's kind of what I'm b!tching about. smiling smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 09, 2008 05:44PM
There is NO way you will hear the difference between good mp3 conversions and lossless music files in a car that is moving. The background ambient sound will mask any difference - even those from the best speakers in the world.

Apple needs a 120 (or larger) GB hard drive ipod touch - THAT would be a great video watching device,
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 09, 2008 09:30PM
sekker
There is NO way you will hear the difference between good mp3 conversions and lossless music files in a car that is moving. The background ambient sound will mask any difference - even those from the best speakers in the world.

Apple needs a 120 (or larger) GB hard drive ipod touch - THAT would be a great video watching device,

Well, sekker, that would totally depend on what YOU are classifying as "good" mp3 conversions.

128 . . . I think NOT.

256 . . . Probably NOT.

320 . . . Well, OK, maybe.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: September 10, 2008 06:58AM
MacMagus
>

> As long as you need all three, you will need a solution that comes at a very
> significant premium... which may not be the market Apple is currently
> courting with the iPod Classic.

Well, yeah. That's kind of what I'm b!tching about. smiling smiley

I understand completely. I have had past gripes with what Apple fails to produce, based on my personal wishlist.

Still waiting for the equivalent of a Mac mini with a discrete GPU.

They *should* make one, but they don't. Grrr....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020