advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
In case you all were wondering...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 03, 2006 06:52PM
... no, the photo of Yang in my sig is NOT retouched to make him appear that he's smiling! (I've already been asked twice today...)

These guys just naturally look this way. No Photoshopping required. winking smiley

(Edit: Oh, and that plastic he's sitting on is the top handle of my Quicksilver G4... should have dusted it before putting him on it though.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2006 06:53PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In case you all were wondering...
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 03, 2006 06:57PM
I was wondering.

Does he do anything? Does he come when you call him? Is he friendly? Does he live in a cage? If given a choice does he approach humans or hide?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 03, 2006 07:09PM
Hi Peter. Did you ever find someone to capture your CA tree frog?
Date: March 03, 2006 07:19PM
deco, I wouldn't have posted, except it's apparently one of those things like the "giant housecat" where people wonder: "Is it real? Or is it Photoshopped?" winking smiley

To answer your questions:

1) He does lots of things-- eat, jump around, climb, etc. But mostly at night, since his species is nocturnal.

2) No. But then, neither do most cats. winking smiley

3) Quite definitely, yes. Read my previous posts about this. Unlike many other species I've had, these guys REALLY like being held and/or human contact. (This is a common experience of owners of this species.) Not sure if it's a behavioral thing, or they just like the warmth of your hand. (I tend to think it's at least some component of the former, because they don't behave equivalently with a heat source in the cage... they seem to like the tactile component.) More info here: [aqualandpetsplus.com]

4) Yes, an aquarium. More for my convenience than his.

5) I don't give him that choice usually, but given the choice, I'm sure he would approach humans.

Date: March 03, 2006 07:19PM
GeneL, nope...

Date: March 03, 2006 07:21PM
He is cute.
Date: March 03, 2006 07:27PM
I wonder if he is a Prince in real life
Date: March 03, 2006 07:27PM
Yeah, I'm actually now beginning to wonder if my sexing them was right-- I had assumed that because Yang is the smaller of the two (he also seemed to be eating less), that he might be male; and the larger, Yin, was female. But recently I've been noticing Yang eating like crazy. So I might actually have two males or two females... can't really be sure until they reach adulthood, which might be a year or more. These guys are just babies-- maybe 1.5-2" snout-to-vent. Fully grown = 3.5-4" snout-to-vent. So they've got a lot of growing to do. (Lifespan = 10-20 years in captivity if properly kept!)

Posted by: karsen
Date: March 03, 2006 07:34PM
Pretty cool. Almost makes me want to get a frog as a pet.
Date: March 03, 2006 08:05PM
karsen, they're reasonably easy to keep-- comparable to fish or reptiles; you have to clean up after them one way or the other.

The major hassle is actually their food; they will only eat stuff that's moving, that's how the amphibian/reptile brain is wired. So you have to occasionally go buy crickets (as I just did tonight). On the plus side, it's very entertaining to watch them eat-- they really do hunt the crickets. Very efficient predators.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 03, 2006 08:48PM
damn... I think I want one....
Date: March 03, 2006 09:02PM
hal, these guys were only $16 at my local Petco-- that's actually a very good deal (about the lowest I've seen them go for on a reputable @#$%& sales site is $25, and that doesn't include the shipping and packaging, which will usually run $10-20 for an insulated styrofoam box and shipping) ... and since this is Petco we're talking about, I figured I was doing the animals a BIG favor by getting them out of there.

Depending on who's currently working at Petco, the animals can either be in very good shape and well-kept, or very bad shape... lately, one of the ones I've been going to has been being kept very well, but previously it was bad. Luckily they seem to have now hired a good set of college students who actually care about the animals...

Don't think they have any more White's in yet, but they did say they had an "Asian Greenback treefrog" -- I think what they meant was this: [home.netcom.com]

Stephanie and others I'm sure will chime in on this issue, as I'm sure I'm not the only one to have observed less-than-good care of animals in pet stores...

Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 03, 2006 09:12PM
Peter, would the frog that you wanted be found in the Gilroy,Salinas, Hollister area?

My SO's twelve year old grandson, who lives in Hollister, is an active boy scout and very interested in science.

If you could offer him a small incentive he might be just the ticket to find that little frog for you.

I'm sure you can figure out what could motivate him if there are any of the frogs to be found where he lives.

Let me know and I'll check with him.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: March 03, 2006 09:24PM
"Stephanie and others I'm sure will chime in on this issue, as I'm sure I'm not the only one to have observed less-than-good care of animals in pet stores..."

Sure, I'll chime in. smiling smiley

Yeah, pet stores are really hit & miss. You have to find one with owners/employees who truly care for the well-being of the animals they sell.

Apparently, there's a pet store in my town that sells snakes but does NOT like to tell people that snakes eat rodents. As a result, they've been selling things like california kingsnakes and telling the new owners that they eat CRICKETS!

FWIW, most snakes are not insectivores (rough & smooth green snakes are two exceptions). Unless the new owners find some better info on how to care for their snake, the poor animal is doomed to die of starvation within 6 months.

My mother had met the new owner of a baby kingsnake from that particular store. She did her best to convince the owners that kings really don't eat crickets. From what she said, she wasn't successful. She had the feeling that the owners still trusted the pet store's faulty info.
Date: March 03, 2006 09:42PM
Steph, that story is just scary...

You have to assume that the pet owner must take some responsibility for owning the pet... which is why, in general, I only buy species which I think I'd have a good chance of being able to properly care for. It's just like somebody buying a dog or cat, and not having a clue as to how to take care of it...

Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: March 03, 2006 09:48PM
Is your sig image retouched to make him appear that he's smiling?

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Date: March 03, 2006 09:50PM
Peter, I completely agree. Kingsnakes are EASY snakes to care for; that's what's sad. They're hardy snakes but even they can't survive on the wrong food!

The story I related above is sad on two accounts - 1. that a pet store would so blatantly misinform their customers & 2. that the new owners don't care enough to investigate how to truly care for their new snake.
Date: March 03, 2006 09:56PM
Steph, what doesn't make any sense about #1 is that, if they misinform the customers, there's no way they'll ever stay in business-- since the animals will die and/or the owners will eventually learn that they've been lied to. That's a sure way to accumulate consumer complaints, and eventually get shut down. I will say this about Petco-- they've never mislead me or given me bad information... and as I said, recently, their store has been spotless and the animals VERY well taken care of... gives me a little bit of hope.

Date: March 03, 2006 10:54PM
pRON aHOLIC Wrote:
> Is your sig image retouched to make him appear
> that he's smiling?
>
> --------------------------------------------------

Personally, I think it was retouched.

I found the original image of Yang and it's quite different:

Date: March 03, 2006 11:02PM
Awww, Steph, Yang doesn't like being made up as a girl frog. How would you like it if I retouched a photo of Mr. Pissy?

Date: March 03, 2006 11:03PM
PeterB Wrote:
> Steph, what doesn't make any sense about #1 is
> that, if they misinform the customers, there's no
> way they'll ever stay in business

Peter, no it doesn't make any sense to misinform customers. BUT, think of it from this perspective...

It'll take months for the kingsnake to die. Babies can go several months with no food. If it dies & the customer THINKS to complain, the pet store will counter with, "well, hey, it lived longer than the guarantee. You must not have cared for it correctly."

If the customer thinks to mention the food issue, the pet store could again counter with something like, "we never said that," or "You misheard us. We recommend starting babies on crickets and then moving them to rodents."

In short, if the snake lived past its 7 day guarantee (or whatever they have), the customer's SOL, sadly.

About Petco, we have one in our town. I have been in it several times. The first time, they had fire-bellied toads. Although their enclosure looked relatively clean, there was a dead & incredibly dessicated toad lying belly up...in plain view.

I was in there a couple weeks ago and this time, everything looked good. I think chains like Petco are hit & miss. It really depends on the people in charge of those animals.

Recently on one of my snake lists, someone related a tale from THEIR local Petco. The employees had apparently put a baby cornsnake in with a baby kingsnake. Kings are snake eaters in the wild. The person who saw these snakes just happened to see these snakes at the moment the king was just finishing his meal of...baby cornsnake. sad smiley
Date: March 03, 2006 11:06PM
PeterB Wrote:
> Awww, Steph, Yang doesn't like being made up as a
> girl frog. How would you like it if I retouched a
> photo of Mr. Pissy?

Yeah but you still don't know for sure if Yang is male. smiling smiley

& you could retouch a photo of Mr. Pissy. He'd get a kick out of it. I've been wanting to do so. I personally think he'd look good in a sombrero.

smiling smiley

I do hope you're not really upset about Yang. I think Yang is adorable in his un-retouched state. He's certainly a cutie.

Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 04, 2006 12:00AM
How much does he weigh?
Posted by: kj
Date: March 04, 2006 12:02AM
>I'm actually now beginning to wonder if my sexing them was right

You should always get their permission before sexing them. kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020