advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best place to buy drugs?
Posted by: h'
Date: March 04, 2006 12:09AM
I got a script for some meds, but there's a chance it's the only script I use all year and my deductable is guaranteed higher than the price of the medicine.
Where's the cheapest place to buy prescription meds outright?
CVS? Walgreens? Somewhere else?
Thanks.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best place to buy drugs?
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 04, 2006 12:14AM
Locally, WalMart has always been cheapest, but call around. Got a Costco membership?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2006 12:15AM by Refurbvirgin.
Posted by: grad
Date: March 04, 2006 12:18AM
Canada
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 04, 2006 12:19AM
Costco by far the cheapest.

Walgreens by far the most expensive.

Walgreens - $210
Costco - $23
Same scrip, same generic, same amount.

BGnR
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 04, 2006 12:28AM
Walgreens probably quoted you wrong BGNR. Not saying that their price won't be higher anyway, but I really doubt there is that much of a discrepancy.

The way Walgreens system works if they just look up the price for 1 pill and multiply it by the number, the price will be huge because there is a base fee added in. The person who quoted you was probably new or inexperienced and didn't know that.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 04, 2006 12:31AM
Walgreens and a few others let you check the prices online.
WalMart is good for most-but Costco and Sams Club are real cheap on Generics
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 04, 2006 12:34AM
C(-)ris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Walgreens probably quoted you wrong BGNR. Not
> saying that their price won't be higher anyway,
> but I really doubt there is that much of a
> discrepancy.

Nope, not a mistake.
There is that much of a discrepancy.
Doubt all you want, my best friend is a pharmacist at Walgreens, he gave me the quote, he is the one that told me to go to Costco.

BGnR

Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 04, 2006 01:55AM
usually in east ny under the LIRR on atlantic ave.

Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: March 04, 2006 02:44AM
My wife is in the business and here is her advice.

Around here Costco is FAR AND AWAY the cheapest place to get meds. The difference is most notable with generics. In some cases it can literally be 15%-25% of what others charge (not 15%-25% less, but 75% to 85% less). I know that sounds crazy, but it is true. The discount won't be as significant with brand name drugs, but you will still save major cash. You may not have to be a member to use the pharmacy. Call them and ask what their policy is. I have heard them asking people, "Do you have a Costco membership?", as if it wasn't required. But even if membership is required, one prescription could easily pay for it.

Price match. While Costco always has the best prices we found that going in to fill our prescriptions was a pain in the butt. You have to park a mile away, show your card to get in the store, there are always long lines and long waits at this giant pharmacy, then show your receipt to leave the store, etc. OTOH, using the pharmacy at the local grocery store was much more convenient. You could drop it off, do your grocery shopping, and then stop back by the pharmacy on your way out to pick it up. No wait, no muss, no fuss. So one day, my wife stops at the Kroger pharmacy and asks the Pharmacy manager if she will price match Costco and she says she will. So now we get all our meds at Costco prices with the service and convenience of the Kroger pharmacy.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: chipsteĀ®
Date: March 04, 2006 09:06AM
India if you can wait a couple of weeks. Also run the risk of losing your money. Really, really cheap and good quality. After all we don't make much of that stuff here anyway.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 04, 2006 09:20AM
I second trying the price match. I shop at Fred Meyer, which is owned by Kroger. They matched the Costco price on one drug I take that isn't run through the mail order service for my drug coverage.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 04, 2006 10:03AM
I've saved quite a bit on my cats' thyroid meds ordering from AmericanaMeds in Canada.
Posted by: Harry in MI
Date: March 04, 2006 10:14AM
It took about six posts and 1-1/2 hours before Guitarman took the honors of making the first "This Subject Line Begs for Smart A$$ replies" reply.

I'm not sure but think it's a sign that this forum is slipping or something?
Posted by: grad
Date: March 04, 2006 11:17AM
Harry in MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It took about six posts and 1-1/2 hours before
> Guitarman took the honors of making the first
> "This Subject Line Begs for Smart A$$ replies"
> reply.
>
> I'm not sure but think it's a sign that this forum
> is slipping or something?

He is from New York/Jersey. I believe him.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: March 04, 2006 06:26PM
FYI, our local costco does *not* require a membership to get their pharmacy services..

kiva

----------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020