Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Caffeine infused Alcohol?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 18, 2008 08:11AM
States ask MillerCoors to pull energy drink

wow! i know i'm probably out of the loop here since i do not drink alcohol at all but marketing caffeine laced alcohol? is stuff like this already available? don't you drink coffee to kill a buzz? this just seems like a recipe for exploiting adolescent hormone confused doublethink. "No, seriously Mom, I kept drinking it to keep me awake so I could study!"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Caffeine infused Alcohol?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 18, 2008 08:14AM
Alcohol is a depressant, caffeine is a stimulant, wouldn't they just cancel each other out? Who thinks things like this up anyway?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: September 18, 2008 09:04AM
My worst fear when I was bartending was a wide-awake drunk. They're the ones who start the fights.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 18, 2008 09:15AM
rgG
Alcohol is a depressant, caffeine is a stimulant, wouldn't they just cancel each other out? Who thinks things like this up anyway?

People need to put CNS in front of "depressant" - as it is not a mood depressant that this implies when used casually. In the pairing above, though, it is used correctly.

As for stimulants and Alcohol -- ever heard of a Jaeger Bomb?

That's just Red Bull & Jaeger --- same deal. So they mix it at the bar instead of in the can.
Stupid legislators getting in the way.... so that the caffeine goes to..... Irish Coffee???

-------
"MillerCoors' decision to introduce Sparks Red defies increasing undeniable evidence from medical and public health professionals about the dangers of mixing alcohol with stimulants found in energy drinks," the letter said.

In announcing its lawsuit last week, the CSPI cited a 2007 study that found that drinkers of caffeinated alcoholic drinks are more likely to binge drink and ride with an intoxicated driver, among other dangers.

-------

Ah yes... SO DANGEROUS, IN FACT, THAT ANY DAY NOW, WE'LL BE HEARING THAT "SOBERING UP WITH COFFEE SUDDENLY WORKS!!! OR TO NEVER DRINK COFFEE AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE AFTER THE BARS CLOSE! STIMULANTS AND ALCOHOL ARE REALLY BAD FOR YOU! WORSE THAN THE ARTERY CLOGGING SAUSAGE AT WAFFLE HOUSE, EVEN!

All these warnings, but no stupidity labels for Sarah Palin -- like a tattoo on her forehead, to warn voters?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 18, 2008 09:39AM
Budweiser has (or used to have) a caffeinated beer on the market.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: September 18, 2008 10:39AM
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: September 18, 2008 10:51AM
rgG

It's not quite that simple. Alcohol's effects on the brain that are still not fully understood but neuroscience is getting a better handle on it.

For very low blood alcohol content it acts as a stimulant. As you go higher it switches to being a depressant.

As to who thinks it up, Buzz Beer did appear on the Drew Carey show as a ficticious microbrewery product. It was beer with caffeine. The idea may have predated them. After all it only required two beverage drinkers to collide back in the 1700s.
"Hey! You spilled beer into my coffee!"
"Hey! No! You spilled coffee into my beer!"
(slurp, slurp)
"Wow! This is great. It tastes like poop, but what a buzz!"
"Let's make money by selling it this way. We could call it Reese's Feces."
And the rest was not history.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 18, 2008 10:59AM
tominator, too funny! it does taste awful. i tried "Sparks" (?) once and i promptly spit it out. blech!!!

however, i do like Red Bull and have developed a bit of a caffeine dependency with two small kids around the house.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 18, 2008 11:05AM
jimmypoo
That's just Red Bull & Jaeger --- same deal. So they mix it at the bar instead of in the can.
Stupid legislators getting in the way.... so that the caffeine goes to..... Irish Coffee???

maybe that's the problem then. the drive to stop the marketing of this combo is to keep the easy portability and convenience less accessible to underage drinkers. at least, marginally.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 18, 2008 11:55AM
Reminds me of VRBs. Vodka and Red Bull. It allows you to drink more before you pass out on the floor (or barf smiley ). That makes me think of Quark trying to come up with ways to get people to drink more.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: September 18, 2008 07:54PM
Filliam H. Muffman
VRBs... It allows you to drink more before you pass out on the floor (or barf smiley ).

IIRC, it seems like that really was the idea when the product was announced-- keep 'em awake, so they can drink more. If you're sleepy, you're not drinking enough.

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Posted by: Mike V
Date: September 18, 2008 11:37PM
I like Vodka Red Bull.

The first time I had something like it was in Thailand about 15 years ago.
A popular drink was San Thip, White Shark.
Which is cheap, but deadly Thai Whisky and an energy drink similar to Red Bull, but in Asia they are not carbonated.

We used to joke that it was the closest thing available on Earth to a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 19, 2008 02:20AM
Lux Interior
Budweiser has (or used to have) a caffeinated beer on the market.

Buzz Beer, the Drew Carey Show, Coffee flavored beer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020