The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I bought a hacked PC netbook running Leopard this weekend
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: October 21, 2008 12:43PM
See this post for details:

[forums.macresource.com]

I just picked up a hacked and upgraded MSI Wind this weekend off craigslist for $600. 10" LED screen, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, built-in card reader, 3 USB ports, ethernet, VGA out, webcam, bluetooth, wireless, 3 cell battery, carrying case and bluetooth headphones. Loaded with Mac OS X 10.5.5.

Everything is functional under the Mac OS (including speakers), except for line in/line out (that's why the seller included the bluetooth headphones).

This sucker weighs 2.3 lbs!

I had been waiting for the Macbook announcement, hoping that either a netbook was at least announced (if not released) or that there was something overwhelming about the new Macbooks to sway me to purchase one over a PC netbook.

When there was no announcement, I started planning a netbook purchase and was going to do the upgrades and hacking myself. That's when this deal on craigslist came around.

Though the base MSI Wind that the seller bought was probably worth around $400, he upgraded the RAM, the hard drive and the internal wireless card (the original wireless card is not Mac OS compatible...it has to be replaced in order to get wireless working) and then did the hacking of Leopard onto the system and troubleshot any problems. The hardware upgrades are worth around $150 and then the labor he put into getting everything working was worth another $50 to me.

This has been what I've been waiting for Apple to release for several years now.

Steve has dropped the ball on this one. However, even if he does release one, it will likely be very expensive compared to just hacking a PC netbook like this.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2008 12:52PM by pinkoos.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I bought a hacked PC netbook running Leopard this weekend
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 21, 2008 01:09PM
traior!

kidding, let us know how it runs in the long term. Are you gonna get AppleCare?
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 21, 2008 01:13PM
How is the battery life under OS X with the 3 cell battery? Also does sleep work?

I've been on the fence considering the same with a 6 cell MSI Wind.
Date: October 21, 2008 01:23PM
bhaveshp
How is the battery life under OS X with the 3 cell battery? Also does sleep work?

I've been on the fence considering the same with a 6 cell MSI Wind.

Battery life is not the best with the 3 cell...about 2 hours with wifi, bluetooth, etc.

Will probably get a 6 cell later on...battery life is supposed to be improved to around 5 hours.

Sleep works perfectly: you can push the Wind's power button to get the dialog box, or you can close the Wind or you can push Fn + a key (can't remember which one) to sleep it. To wake it, though, you have to push the power button again...keyboard or mouse clicks don't work to wake it up.

I would go for it if this is what you've been considering for awhile. There is a great online community that the seller pointed me to: [www.msiwind.net] that has a bunch of great threads, etc. Additionally, when new hacked versions of the OS are created, someone immediately posts them to the forums.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 21, 2008 01:26PM
that's slick!

You'll have to post a full review after you've used it awhile.
Posted by: simonm
Date: October 21, 2008 02:00PM
When you've had it a for a few days please post a follow up on your experience. I very nearly bought an msi wind this week end. It's one of the few still with a matt screen as well. In the end I decided that I didn't want to spend all the time getting macos installed.
Date: October 21, 2008 02:16PM
Will do. See here for the install procedure:

[www.planetx64.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 21, 2008 03:54PM
What are you going to do when you need to reinstall the OS or run a software update?
Date: October 21, 2008 04:00PM
C(-)ris
What are you going to do when you need to reinstall the OS or run a software update?

The seller is providing me with a full install on DVD and is even going to try and put it on an 8GB USB stick for me.

As far as I can tell, it's safe to run the non-OS updates (ie, iTunes, security updates, etc., etc.), but not safe to run actual OS updates (ie, 10.5.5 to 10.5.6) until the hacking community comes out with a patch to allow the update to go smoothly. Apparently, they usually come out with a patch within a day or so of an OS update being released.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 21, 2008 04:18PM
Cool, I was just curious how that was handled. So is that full install DVD bootable and runs through the installer? So it could be used with any Wind you might have?
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 21, 2008 04:25PM
Meh - No FireWire....

Hey somebody had to say it!!! smiling smiley

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: October 21, 2008 04:25PM
C(-)ris
Cool, I was just curious how that was handled. So is that full install DVD bootable and runs through the installer? So it could be used with any Wind you might have?

Supposedly so, though when I bought the Wind, the seller had everything already installed on there for me.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: October 21, 2008 04:58PM
does the Wind have a PCMCIA slot?
Date: October 21, 2008 05:00PM
incognegro
does the Wind have a PCMCIA slot?

No. I believe the Lenovo S10 has an express card slot?
Date: October 21, 2008 05:13PM
So I jumped in and bought the white 6 cell version from ebay. Supposedly I'll get a MSFT live cashback rebate for 30%. Also ebay had a 10% coupon.

Used the steps described here for the discounts: [www.fatwallet.com]

After the coupons, this came out to be $320 shipped.

Next stop Hackintosh! I wonder if the white Apple sticker will still be visible winking smiley
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 21, 2008 05:17PM
bhaveshp
So I jumped in and bought the white 6 cell version from ebay.

Next stop Hackintosh! I wonder if the white Apple sticker will still be visible winking smiley

Use a Rainbow sticker as appropriate....

Great deal by the way!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: October 21, 2008 05:18PM
bhaveshp
So I jumped in and bought the white 6 cell version from ebay. Supposedly I'll get a MSFT live cashback rebate for 30%. Also ebay had a 10% coupon.

Great price. Though, did you buy an Asus or an MSI Wind? Hacking of the Asus is done differently from the Wind apparently. Also, I've not looked into all of the info regarding Leopard on the Asus, so I'm not sure if everything is functional or not on it. The Wind is supposed to be the most OS X compatible from what I've read and heard.
Date: October 21, 2008 05:20PM
pinkoos
bhaveshp

Great price. Though, did you buy an Asus or an MSI Wind? Hacking of the Asus is done differently from the Wind apparently. Also, I've not looked into all of the info regarding Leopard on the Asus, so I'm not sure if everything is functional or not on it. The Wind is supposed to be the most OS X compatible from what I've read and heard.

Yep, got the MSI Wind, 6 cell, 160 GB, 1 GB RAM, XP.

499+ 20 shipping - 50 (10% ebay coupon) - 150 MSFT Live cashback
Date: October 21, 2008 05:32PM
bhaveshp
pinkoos
bhaveshp

Yep, got the MSI Wind, 6 cell, 160 GB, 1 GB RAM, XP.

499+ 20 shipping - 50 (10% ebay coupon) - 150 MSFT Live cashback

Awesome deal! I'm not sure about your Wind, but the one I got had to have the wireless card replaced b/c it was not OS X compatible. Maybe the newer Winds have the compatible card.

Good luck on the hack. Let us know how it goes.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 21, 2008 05:40PM
Please post a review on how the different apps run, like iTunes and Office (if you happen to install it). I'm looking for a light and small laptop for travel. Need to run office, iTunes and be able to watch movies (no line out may prove to be an issue though).
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: October 22, 2008 09:43AM
I would be curious to know if these PC's can run VMWare or Parellels and have both OS's available.

Thanks
Date: October 22, 2008 09:46AM
flightdelayedagain
I would be curious to know if these PC's can run VMWare or Parellels and have both OS's available.

Thanks

I would think that they behave just like any other Mac. Could either use Parallels/VMWare or Boot Camp.

The seller told me that he had an XP system loaded onto an SD card that he could just boot off with the Wind's built-in card reader.
Date: October 23, 2008 01:44PM
The following is from [www.macintouch.com]

Competition

MacInTouch Reader

I had hoped, and have been hoping for years, that Apple would see fit to grace us with a small, ultralight device, preferably one with a touch screen. This hasn't and didn't happen, so, not being an overly patient type, I decided to roll my own. And no, the MacBook Air doesn't come close to qualifying. After much research and careful weeding out of candidates, I bought an MSI Wind - specifically the XP version to get the 120 gig HD. I won't go into the actual steps required to build your own Mac UMPC. That information is readily available on the Internet. I made two physical changes to the Wind in preparation. I upgraded the standard RAM from the onboard 1 gig to 2 gigs and, while I had the little computer opened up, (a very simple matter) replaced the standard WIFI card with one that is both natively Mac OS compatible and offers 802.11n. In about 30 minutes after starting the OS install, I had a 2 pound MacBook Nano Apple could have done better but didn't.

What I finally have is a really small usable portable computer that is well built, light, and attractive. It has three normal USB 2.0 ports, a clear LED backlighted matte finished 10" 1024X600 wide aspect screen, a VGA video port, 120 gig HD, 1.3 meg webcam, memory card reader, ethernet, and it runs well. It dual boots Windows XP Pro via Fusion, and I can actually carry it around and use outside without reflections. I'm a happy camper.

As to Apple's other portables, I own and use a 1.5 gig G4 12" AL Powerbook and a 2.2 gig CD2 MacBook (previous generation). I have been a loyal Apple owner and user since the Macintosh was released. I have seen and used the new MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. Instead of spending my money on one of these, I decided that for the total outlay of less than $450 that I got a better deal. On a side note, the place where I acquired the MSI Wind is a major retailer and they can't keep these small systems in stock. Now, is Apple listening? How about Mr. Jobs?
Posted by: endymion
Date: October 25, 2008 11:47PM
The Dell Inspiron Mini 9 is almost completely supported natively in OS X as well. 1GB RAM and 16GB flash unit for $410 without Windows; you're on your own about the optical drive to install OS X from.
g=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020