Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to Test HD Speed?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: March 07, 2006 04:57PM
[forums.macresource.com]

This is a continuation from my prior post. I just didn't get enough information to figure out a good way to test the HD speed within my G5 tower. I have 2 internal HD's, but one is the boot device. That boot drive seems to take almost twice as long as the stock Apple 80 gig Maxtor HD to duplicate a folder.

My question is whether this is a good way to test the speed of the HD? If not, what is a better way of doing this? I just want to be sure that my computer is running as efficiently as possible...

TIA

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to Test HD Speed?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 07, 2006 05:05PM
I think Drive Genius has an option to benchtest drives...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 07, 2006 06:57PM
I have no less than 5 utilities that can test drive speed. Too bad they are all for OS 8 and 9.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 07, 2006 07:01PM
The most accurate representation of Drive speed will come from a test that forces reading and writing from the drive simultaneously.

Create a folder 1000MB in size, use a photoshop file or some MP3's, copy the folder to both drives, and then get out your stopwatch.

For the sake of accuracy you should reboot the computer and make sure that no processes are running in the background.

Ready the stopwatch and then click on your 1000MB file hit command + D and start the stopwatch at the same time, this will tell the Mac to duplicate the folder and cause the drive to read from and write to itself simultaneously!

Stop the watch when the duplication ends and record the time in seconds. Restart the computer and do this again two more times on the same drive, so that you can get an accurate average, before switching to the second drive and repeat.

Fastest average time wins!!

Of course the clooser to identical the drives are from a software standpoint the better, ie if you can clone one drive to the other so that the contents are identical.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 09:04PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 07, 2006 09:31PM
Here is one, for free.:
[www.macupdate.com]

BGnR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020