advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
NEED FOLDING CLARIFICATION
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 17, 2005 07:07PM
What is the team number that we should be folding for?

48057 or

???
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NEED FOLDING CLARIFICATION
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: December 17, 2005 07:31PM
I, personally, am heading back to 38910. Hate to give up those points that I had already accumulated. If they had not changed the association to this site though, I would have stayed with my original decision to go to 48057.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 17, 2005 07:58PM
I went back to 38910. We started as a community. We should stay with the team...even if that means changing sponsors. (Is that a good analogy?)

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 17, 2005 08:01PM
Which one do you WANT to fold for?

38910 is the original "community" that for the most part has come to roost (at least part time) here.

48057 is the Official Larry Sponsored team.

I'm going to stick with 38910 for purely selfish reasons... I dont' want to give up my work units already accumulated smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 17, 2005 08:13PM
So if I'm starting fresh, it really doesn't matter?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 17, 2005 08:18PM
Not really.... unless you want to join the team that ranks #64 ON THE ENTIRE PLANET!!!
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: December 17, 2005 08:20PM
Folding@ Home is done for the better good of all mankind, in the big view, so it really doesn't matter which "team" you're associated with if you're just starting to fold. Some of us have been on Team 38910 for awhile though, and have vested interests in staying with that team, as some have written, for purely selfish (and other) reasons. I'd hate to give up all my hard earned points just because of switching internet cafes, so to speak.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 17, 2005 09:59PM
Maybe I'll reclaim my old identity.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 17, 2005 11:15PM
Excuse my ignorance. I've been away from DM for a couple years and didn't know what folding was. After a Google I now do.

Does the connection speed matter? I'm now in an area that dsl and cable don't reach and have had to drop back to dial-up. (You have no idea how painful that is after 5 years of broadband)

Anyway, does connection speed matter?

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: December 18, 2005 02:02AM
[forums.macresource.com]

38910 now shows the current migration of the Mac community that was built on Dealmac forum. Fold for any team you would like. Typically people find folding with fellow forum members to be friendly geek competition.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 18, 2005 07:32AM
RgrF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway, does connection speed matter?

No. I've always been on dial-up. I have four F@H clients all sharing the same dial-up connection at the same time. The connection speed does not matter.

The availability of a connection matters a little. If you aren't always dialed up (I am), you will need to work out the logistics and convenience of how to be online when the Folding@Home software wants to connect to upload its computed results and get more work. Depending on the speed of your CPU and the size of the work unit you randomly receive, the client might need to connect after a day or after a month.

The duration of the client's communication to the Folding@Home server varies also with the size of the work unit. In general, the work units are 1MB or less (compressed). You can opt to receive work units > 5MB (uncompressed) and work on larger projects. This option may increase the download/upload time on average. I always have this option selected and it isn't a problem for me.

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 18, 2005 09:51AM
I'm sticking with 38910, since pRON was able to negotiate the team-name switch.

Good job!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020