Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 08, 2006 08:25AM
Then you must accept exile.

Take your belongings and head for Elba.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I refuse to buy a USB scale
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 08, 2006 08:42AM
I will join you incognegro. This day marks the first great division between users at the Macresource Forum, those who worship the USB scale, and those who do not.
Let us not allow this to become between us my friends, however there may be a day when we send our children off to war over such beliefs.

Hey, stranger things have happened. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 08, 2006 08:49AM
My complaint about The Cult of the Scale

In a prior letter, I identified a set of ideological premises as superordinate constructions that maintain the rhetorical context in which The Cult of the Scale is able to undermine the individualistic underpinnings of traditional jurisprudence. I will now elaborate on three of its most irrational premises:

1. It is as innocent as a newborn lamb.
2. Foolhardy whiners and dour maniacs should rule this country.
3. The moon is made of green cheese.

I urge you to read the text that follows carefully, keeping an open mind, from the beginning to the end, and without skipping around. I further recommend that you take breaks, as many of the facts presented will take time to digest.

I am on an important mission to address the legitimate anger, fear, and alienation of people who have been mobilized by The Cult of the Scale because they saw no other options for change. If I don't accomplish that mission, The Cult of the Scale's plans to violate all the rules of decorum could well succeed. When I observe The Cult of the Scale's goons ' behavior, I can't help but recall the proverbial expression, "monkey see, monkey do". That's because, like it, they all want to hurt people's feelings. Also, while a monkey might think that it is not only acceptable, but indeed desirable, to shift blame from those who benefit from oppression to those who suffer from it, the fact remains that honest people will admit that its exploitative values are to politics what the blitzkrieg was to international diplomacy. Concerned people are not afraid to draw an accurate portrait of The Cult of the Scale's ideological alignment. And sensible people know that I, speaking as someone who is not a stultiloquent, ungrateful hoodwinker, challenge The Cult of the Scale to point out any text in this letter that proposes that ethical responsibility is merely a trammel of earthbound mortals and should not be required of a demigod like it. It isn't there. There's neither a hint nor a suggestion of such a thing. Hostility is a primary component of The Cult of the Scale's behavior. This is the flaw in The Cult of the Scale's press releases. It doesn't understand that it has long served as a cheerleader for libertinism. To top that off, its perorations all stem from one, simple, faulty premise -- that black is white and night is day.

Don't get me wrong; justice isn't served when The Cult of the Scale's crimes go unpunished. But The Cult of the Scale loves getting up in front of people and telling them that obscurity, evasiveness, incomprehensibility, indirectness, and ambiguity are marks of depth and brilliance. It then boasts about how it'll spoon-feed us its pabulum sooner than you think. It's all part of the media spectacle that is The Cult of the Scale. Of course, it soaks it up and wallows in it like a pig in mud. Speaking of pigs and mud, far too many people tolerate The Cult of the Scale's bruta fulmina as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that because of The Cult of the Scale's obsession with defeatism, its eccentricity is surpassed only by its vanity. And The Cult of the Scale's vanity is surpassed only by its empty theorizing. (Remember its theory that hanging out with peremptory hellions is a wonderful, culturally enriching experience?) By refusing to act, by refusing to rub The Cult of the Scale's nose in its own hypocrisy, we are giving The Cult of the Scale the power to carve out space in the mainstream for lousy politics. That's all for this letter. For those that don't like my views, get over it. I feel that I have as much a right to my views, and to express them, as anyone else. So when I say that we must put our religious and factional differences aside if we are ever to criticize The Cult of the Scale's prank phone calls publically for their formalistic categories, their spurious claims of neutrality, and their blindness to the abuse of private power, you can agree with me or not. That's all there is to it.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 08, 2006 09:13AM
Someone asked me if I wanted one and I said no, so there.

I am without scale and proud of it. I don't even know how much I weigh, much less one of the cats whiskers. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: spearmint
Date: March 08, 2006 09:27AM
I want one.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 08, 2006 09:30AM
Luddite! Only lack of stock (and proximity to a Radio Sack) keeps me from joining the sacred society of the scale. Alas, I remain scaleless and must live with that imbalance. I tell myself I'm merely saving for a usb breathalyzer, but my heart yearns for more accurate means to measure tequila shots.

ps: Peewee couldn't hold a bowtie to Soupy Scales.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 08, 2006 09:37AM
I didn't want one either, until last night when I was wondering how much yarn I had in a ball I'd just rolled. It occurred to me I'd be able to figure it out if I had one of those nifty USB scales. I'm trying NOT to go to RS today and buy one. How often does a person really need to weigh a ball of yarn? sad smiley
Date: March 08, 2006 09:44AM
Guys, those of you who want one, see if other MacResourcers (or is that "MacResorcerers"?) are willing to help you out, as they did me... thanks to MacGurl and mjgkramer, I have two-- one for myself, one for female parental unit. Even with the shipping cost ($5-6), I still think it was a great deal. I am even using it now as we speak, for figuring USPS postage on a package or two...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 08, 2006 11:03AM
. . .you think you can resist. . .

then you dream about it every night. . .and you hear it calling to you. . .

BE STRONG!!!!!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: March 08, 2006 11:43AM
"ps: Peewee couldn't hold a bowtie to Soupy Scales."

Maybe not, but he could do a number on him in a movie theater.

Posted by: blusubaru
Date: March 08, 2006 12:13PM
Me also. I shall forever be sans-USB scale.
I refuse to even *mention* USB scal...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 08, 2006 12:33PM
Crap.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: I refuse to even *mention* USB scal...
Posted by: maco
Date: March 08, 2006 12:48PM
Your either with us or against us.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 08, 2006 01:08PM
The decision to not buy a scale weighs heavily on me.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: March 08, 2006 01:18PM
I've heard this somewhere before...

Posted by: sscutchen
Date: March 08, 2006 01:22PM
How in God's Name will you measure your Flour? By VOLUME?!!?

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 08, 2006 01:30PM
By VOLUME?!!?

Oh, the humanity!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: March 08, 2006 02:23PM
For all my talk, I won't join the cult either. It's because I already own a much more functional scale although mine isn't tethered to a supercomputer in order to be used. Cost me $15-$20 on eBay and weighs up to 75#

The Kool-aid crowd won't recognize the thing at the bottom known as a screen:

Neva is simply the best postal scale she has ever used. Notice that I too can connect mine to a computer via USB if I wanted to, but I choose not to:

Mine won the award for "Best Scale of the Year"
Has attractive "Chome" buttons
And has made her online business so easy that she can type, talk on the phone, and iron all at the same time. Can your USB scale do that? I didn't think so.

Eat your heart out.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 08, 2006 04:05PM
I'm bored with my scale, I've weighed it all.

The USB cheese grater is coming tomorrow.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 08, 2006 04:45PM
The Department of Homeland Security is probably interested in knowing the names of those who claim they don't want a USB scale.
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: March 08, 2006 06:27PM
How about a USB aquarium, or a USB lava lamp?
Date: March 08, 2006 06:48PM
msienkiewicz, they already make both of those. See my posts in the threads above.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 08, 2006 08:30PM
I like to live dangerously........

I just take a wild guess on the the postage (one or two stamps)

I am within a mile of one post office and 3-4 for another.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 08, 2006 08:45PM
I think it would wreck my vignette/tablescape

White Marble Knoll Table

eMac
silver ipod mini
white and silver canon printer
small silver toshiba TV
Knoll Mousepad
vintage Michael Lax designed Lightolier "Lytegem" telescoping black ball lamp (actually 2 at different heights (for effect) - in MOMA collection

scale needs better design
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020