advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac mini/HDTV revisited
Posted by: ssledoux
Date: November 18, 2008 08:44AM
Well, I've tried everything yall posted. I guess I'm going to have to use a VGA cable. So, do I just buy a plain ole' VGA cable, or is there something specific I should be looking for? I'm just going to take back what I have to Wally World and get the other, and I'm going to make a trip to the apple store and be sure I'm getting the right stuff...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac mini/HDTV revisited
Posted by: Jem
Date: November 18, 2008 09:26AM
My experience with a 720p (1366x768) HDTV monitor and an old PowerMac G4 with DVI and VGA out, was that the DVI was not very forgiving, where the VGA was much more so.

What you need to use VGA is:

1. A VGA IN port on your TV.
2. A Male/Male VGA cable
3. A DVI to VGA adapter that attaches to your Mini's DVI port. (I think my mini came with one...)

If possible, start with a LOWER resolution like 800x600, and work your way up to 1280x720... which is probably the closest you'll get to the true resolution if yours is actually 768 like mine.

FWIW... I have a 1080p 42" HDTV that works just fine with my Mac Mini via DVI. I encourage people to spring for true 1080p displays if they intend to use it with a computer. Seems amore robustly supported resolution than the 720p and 768p variations. But if you already have a lower res HDTV you do the best you can with what you got...

Good luck!

P.S. You shouldn't need a fancy VGA cable from the APPLE store... if you have another laying around I'd try that first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 09:29AM by Jem.
Posted by: pinion
Date: November 18, 2008 10:25AM
I must have missed your post before but I just hooked my macbook up to my big screen. Now you may have already tried this so you can ignore me if you did but I got the mini-dvi to dvi adapter and then got a dvi to hdmi adapter and then plugged an hdmi cable from that into the back of my tv. I picked up the hdmi cable at frys for like 6 bucks and the dvi to hdmi at walmart for $15. Maybe an HDMI cable would do you better?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 18, 2008 10:46AM
or get a nice vga cable from monoprice with an attached audio cable for sound.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 18, 2008 12:15PM
Sometimes zapping the PRAM does not work completely unless you restart the computer without a display connected.

Displays also have settings that get stored. Does it have a button to restore factory defaults?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ssledoux
Date: November 18, 2008 08:57PM
We FINALLY got it!! We used the VGA and it's all good. Thanks so much for everyone's help. I really appreciate it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020