advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Monster cable gets monster smackdown!
Posted by: davester
Date: November 18, 2008 12:46PM
This is a few months old but I haven't seen it before. Apparently, Monster Cable tried to sue Blue Jeans cable for patent infringement. They have sued their competitors before on highly questionable grounds, and forced them into signing licensing agreements to make them go away, a very sleazy way to make money. This way they've kept the competition down and their prices up for their marginal products, while supplementing their income with licensing fees.

Unfortunately for them, they picked on the wrong competitor. It seems that Kurt Denke, president of Blue Jeans cable used to be a big time litigator. He wrote them an incredibly amusing letter that ripped Monster a new one. I highly recommend reading the whole thing for entertainment value. [www.audioholics.com]

I love how he starts out..."Dear Monster Lawyers,"

Here's an excerpt:

Kurt Denke
After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1985, I spent nineteen years in litigation practice, with a focus upon federal litigation involving large damages and complex issues. My first seven years were spent primarily on the defense side, where I developed an intense frustration with insurance carriers who would settle meritless claims for nuisance value when the better long-term view would have been to fight against vexatious litigation as a matter of principle. In plaintiffs' practice, likewise, I was always a strong advocate of standing upon principle and taking cases all the way to judgment, even when substantial offers of settlement were on the table. I am "uncompromising" in the most literal sense of the word. If Monster Cable proceeds with litigation against me I will pursue the same merits-driven approach; I do not compromise with bullies and I would rather spend fifty thousand dollars on defense than give you a dollar of unmerited settlement funds. As for signing a licensing agreement for intellectual property which I have not infringed: that will not happen, under any circumstances, whether it makes economic sense or not.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Monster cable gets monster smackdown!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 18, 2008 01:12PM
sweet

Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: November 18, 2008 01:13PM
popcorn smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:14PM
pirate smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Blurb
Date: November 18, 2008 01:29PM
Makes me want to go by something from Blue Jeans cables.
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: November 18, 2008 01:29PM
I have a friend who worked there but quit because he couldn't abide their business practices.

Not to mention so much of their overpriced product is smoke and mirrors.
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: November 18, 2008 01:40PM
Blurb
Makes me want to go by something from Blue Jeans cables.

My thoughts exactly!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 18, 2008 01:47PM
I read that a while ago but is worthy of a repost. It is rare that a lawyer is capable of communication in English. Usually it becomes legal drivel. This though is brilliant. I was entertained and it clearly sends the message that not only does he not want to settle but he desires to hunt them down, eat their hearts, drink their blood, sleep with their spouse, steal their car, crap in their living room and walk out the front door with all of their money. There is no fear and rather anxious anticipation. Dirty Harry comes to mind in fact. That is impressive use of language. There aren't any threats or strong words but the message is clear.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 18, 2008 01:51PM
Saw that when it was current - talk about knocking on the wrong door.

Denke is my new hero. I hope he agrees to represent any company that Monster attempts to bully in the future.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: November 18, 2008 01:52PM
He put them firmly in their place, and with impeccable sentence structure, to boot. Kurt is a champ.

thumbs up

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 18, 2008 01:56PM
I've got nothing against Monster, but if I needed a lawyer, Denke is the kind that I want on my side.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 18, 2008 02:03PM
Audioholics screws up the cut and paste of the letter. I read one part 3 times I think.
Go to Blue Jeans Cable's PDF.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: November 18, 2008 02:04PM
Priceless!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2008 02:50PM
The second sentence, first paragraph-- outstanding.

Talk about setting the tone. The first and second sentences make a nice one-two KO.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 18, 2008 03:25PM
Ooh! One more thing I hadn't noticed about the letter. The subject line:

"RE: Your letter, received April Fools' Day"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 18, 2008 03:26PM
Think I may have found a new cable company, and not just because of his attitude in that letter. When I look at the products on his site there are several characteristics that appeal to me:

1) The no-nonsense descriptions seem free of typical marketing muck. No pompous cables named after Greek gods or whatever.
2) Blue Jeans tells you up-front it's basically sourced from Belden (which is ANYTHING but "sexy" wire, and potentially low-cost, but nevertheless quality stuff)
3) The emphasis on quality connectors! (Canare F-connectors? Nice
4) Buy by the foot. How many 6ft, 12, 25ft cables do you own that never seem just the right length?
Date: November 18, 2008 03:38PM
deckeda
Think I may have found a new cable company, and not just because of his attitude in that letter. When I look at the products on his site there are several characteristics that appeal to me:

1) The no-nonsense descriptions seem free of typical marketing muck. No pompous cables named after Greek gods or whatever.
2) Blue Jeans tells you up-front it's basically sourced from Belden (which is ANYTHING but "sexy" wire, and potentially low-cost, but nevertheless quality stuff)
3) The emphasis on quality connectors! (Canare F-connectors? Nice
4) Buy by the foot. How many 6ft, 12, 25ft cables do you own that never seem just the right length?

This company and its products are very highly regarded among audio/video enthusiasts. I've purchased a few of their cables myself - quality product at more than reasonable prices, with good service to boot. Highly recommended.

It is what it is.
Oh, the humanity!
Date: November 18, 2008 03:52PM
Geeeeze that was a great read!

The guy has an outstanding command of language and procedure. (Yes, I know why).

I especially like the straight forward, simple structure. He doesn't sound like he's trying to tell somebody he is/was a lawyer, but anybody reading would know that this was not baseless bravado.

This is the first I've ever seen or heard about Monster's tactics. I'm a big fan of their iClean screen cleaner, but not much else. Their stuff *is* pricey and I've *never* been a fan of esoteric audio connects, not even from Kimber.

Of course some could draw some parallels between Monster and Apple products, but I think that's something for another thread.

I've purchased a few of their cables myself - quality product at more than reasonable prices, with good service to boot. Highly recommended.

I've bookmarked the sight and will peruse it tonight.

davester, thanks for a great read!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 18, 2008 04:15PM
"...and without regard to whether those licensing agreements are sham transactions for tax shelter purposes only or whether they are bona fide arm's-length transactions."

Ouch!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 18, 2008 04:54PM
amazing!

Another future customer here.

Too bad Best Buy cannot read it and switch suppliers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 04:54PM by sekker.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: November 18, 2008 05:50PM
101 Reasons Why NOT To Buy Monster Cable [forums.audioholics.com]

Here's to Mr. Denke crushing their 'nads judge smiley

Re: Oh, the humanity!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 19, 2008 06:13AM
Makes me want to throw away the monster cable products I bought in my reckless youth.

I'm still using a set of MC speaker cables I bought in 86.
A all too brief interview with the author...
Date: November 19, 2008 01:57PM
FSM had a quick interview with Kurt Denke about his letter to Monster Cable.

I wonder if we'll ever hear more than this on the subject. It would be difficult to imaging Monster going forward with litigation, but it would be interesting to see it happen. (This of course presumes a successful outcome for Mr. Denke.)

[www.freesoftwaremagazine.com]

I didn't care for the fact that audioholics got the CnP wrong, and particularly that they further edited the letter salutation with no indication of doing so. I mourn the loss/lack of copy editiors.

But I used Bernie's link and reread the letter. It's really good.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: November 19, 2008 07:11PM
Panopticon
101 Reasons Why NOT To Buy Monster Cable

That's easy - that would be the $101 I save by going with cables from Blue Jeans!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020