Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HP lauches touch screen. Takes swipe at Apple
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 19, 2008 05:35PM
[www.thestreet.com]

I thought we went thru touch screens back some time ago when the butterfly was the symbol. "everything new again?"

Do you like them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HP lauches touch screen. Takes swipe at Apple
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: November 19, 2008 06:31PM
I played with an HP desktop that's a touch screen at Costco over the weekend, while the "cool" factor" was there, it was only for useless apps like solitaire and such. Even browsing the web with it was terrible.

I'm on the border between Gen X and Gen Y and I can honestly say I don't see this product appealing to either of them on any sort of a significant, let alone mass, scale.

~A
Posted by: Silencio
Date: November 19, 2008 06:47PM
Touchscreen desktops and laptops are repetitive stress injuries just waiting to happen. I just don't see what's compelling about those things at all. Either go full-on tablet or stay regular laptop: those "convertibles" make too many compromises and cost too much. None of them have sold in significant numbers thus far.

The multi-touch trackpads are a better solution IMO. You get most of the benefits of a true touchscreen without having to keep holding your arm up in such an awkward way.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 19, 2008 06:59PM
Silencio
Touchscreen desktops and laptops are repetitive stress injuries just waiting to happen. I just don't see what's compelling about those things at all. Either go full-on tablet or stay regular laptop: those "convertibles" make too many compromises and cost too much. None of them have sold in significant numbers thus far.

The multi-touch trackpads are a better solution IMO. You get most of the benefits of a true touchscreen without having to keep holding your arm up in such an awkward way.
Exactly. Touch screens are great for a kiosk, but to use them daily would be tiring and the screen will require frequent cleaning. The multi-touch trackpad is a much better way to go. However, anyone but Apple will have trouble implementing such a device as Apple has the patent. I think that Apple should take the tech to create a usb version for desktops. Slick way to replace the mouse and create a better user interface.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 19, 2008 07:26PM
Apple does not own the IP to multi-touch screens - they have been in academia for at least a decade.

I would love to have a multi-touch tablet that works like my iPhone. Once again, Apple was not first to design, but they WERE the first to make it accessible to the general public with a usable device.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 19, 2008 09:04PM
I was referring to the multi-touch trackpad, not the screens. I seem to remember reading their patent for the trackpad.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: November 19, 2008 09:47PM
I've had one of the 25" HP TouchSmarts for about 3 months...love it.

Is it perfect? Heck no...the touch sensitvity, despite the configurable settings, could use some work - perhaps a little higher quality touch layer over the screen.

With that said, the screen is very sharp...looks much sharper than any Dell LCDs (24"/27") I have hanging around as well as good as the 30" Cinema. I would recommend one, even if you never used the touchscreen...just a nice, all-in-one with HDTV, etc. etc....great for multimedia applications and development.

Anyways, touchscreens on laptops/tablets is nothing new - Dell's Latitude XT has been out for a year now and it performs quite nicely with a stylus or with your fingers (it auto-senses and switched to accommodate the method used).

Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: November 20, 2008 08:07AM
HP marketed touch screen terminals for use with their mini computers back in the 80s. I was responsible for configuring hardware for oil field automation systems for Shell Oil Production. Thinking touch screens would be a good idea we ordered a couple of them. Although repetitive stress disorder was not a common term back then, we experienced it. Very soon it was obvious that repeated reaching to tap on the screen was hard on the elbow and shoulder. We stopped buying them and HP soon stopped marketing them. Looks like they didn't learn from the past.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 20, 2008 08:18AM
Our doctors use tablets with styli, not fingers, and while awkward in laptop mode (so they can also use the keyboards), they are usable. Personally, I hate using the stylus, for the reason mentioned above.

I'd like to see Apple make a small notebook ('netbook'?) with a reasonable ten-fingered keyboard, something smaller and lighter than a MacBook (Pro) for travelling. My MBP weighs nearly 6 pounds, and more with power supply. A touch screen on such a device would be a bonus.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020