Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Al Keyboard...4 months later
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 21, 2008 09:38PM
So close, yet so far away.

After four months banging on this Al keyboard bundled with my iMac, I think it's time to try an alternative.

While it is unquestionably Apple's best effort in many, many years, and there is much to like about it--size, low profile, build quality--I can't overcome one sacrifice made in the name of aesthetics--the flat keycaps. They make it harder to locate keys by feel, and have no grip nor means to help prevent fingertips from sliding. What was Sony thinking when they copied Apple with their Mac clone keyboards?

When it ships, I think I'm going to give the new Logitech diNovo Mac edition a try. This isn't the diNovo Edge, with the funky touch disc, it's a new model with a full, no-compromises Mac layout that emulates all of the extra function keys of the Apple keyboard, and adds some of its own. No blank, mislabeled, or extraneous keys to remap.

It still has a low profile, and isn't much wider than the AAl, but the integrated wrist rest does make it deeper. Wireless, too, and uses standard AAA batteries instead of a proprietary rechargeable battery.

On paper, it looks good, but the final test awaits...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Al Keyboard...4 months later
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 21, 2008 09:53PM
Is there a non-wireless version of the Logitech board? Regardless, I'd love to hear how it works out.

I'm still using my Kensington Slim keyboard. Very compact, and although there are a few odd things about the key layout, it has the type of key and the key feel that I want.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 21, 2008 10:29PM
Mine frequently screws up on the space bar, fails to register a space. Is this something anyone else has problems with or maybe I should ask for another?
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: November 21, 2008 11:51PM
Wags
Mine frequently screws up on the space bar, fails to register a space. Is this something anyone else has problems with or maybe I should ask for another?

If you have an Apple store nearby, I'd take it in and ask for help, even if it's out of warranty.

Though I wouldn't expect them to, they just might replace it anyway. Doesn't hurt to ask.

ka jowct
Is there a non-wireless version of the Logitech board? Regardless, I'd love to hear how it works out.

I'm still using my Kensington Slim keyboard. Very compact, and although there are a few odd things about the key layout, it has the type of key and the key feel that I want.

I tried a SlimType, but returned it. A nice keyboard, but I like full layouts and the build quality could have been a bit better. Mine had a loose Cmd-key cap that was annoying.

Nope, there isn't a wired version of the diNovo, since it's their top-line, and marketing has everyone believing that wireless is high-end. I generally stick to wired devices, but I thought I'd give this one a try.

The store I was at today had the PC version, but not the Mac version. Unfortunately, they didn't have it on display, but it had a fair amount of heft for such a slim box. The other diNovo models I've sampled seem to be of pretty good quality, so I'm hopeful.

The thing I'm most happy about is that a company like Logitech saw fit to produce not one, but two more Mac-specific items that are more than merely writing different drivers. Despite the tremendous growth in popularity of Macs, certain markets still reflect the relatively low market share of the platform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 11:58PM by Bimwad.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 22, 2008 12:42PM
Bimwad
When it ships, I think I'm going to give the new Logitech diNovo Mac edition a try.

I'd be curious as to what you have to say about that one. I'd been looking at that myself.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 22, 2008 10:15PM
I tried a SlimType, but returned it. A nice keyboard, but I like full layouts and the build quality could have been a bit better. Mine had a loose Cmd-key cap that was annoying.

When I first got the SlimType, I missed the layout I'd had on other keyboards. But I found that I got used to this one very quickly, and I really like the fact that it takes up less space. As for the loose keycap, it's pretty easy to reseat those, in my experience.

I've had two of these in use for several years, and they have held up very well, better than the four Macally IceKeys I had before the Kensingtons. Those broke at the drop of a hat. Even when I stopped dropping hats near them, they broke. I like the low-travel scissor keys. Thanks to this discussion, I'm thinking of springing for a backup Kensington SlimType while they are still available.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020