Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Update: Not real happy with Apple.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 23, 2008 11:00AM
iMac 20" Core Duo 2.0 2GB 10.5.4.
Posted a little while ago about my iMac just up and quitting and taking it to the Apple store to where I found out I have to make an appointment first. This is my work computer and I need it yesterday-why can't I just drop it off (rant,rant)? Anyway, They have it a week and replace the power supply and it costs $166 which isn't too bad considering what it could cost but I get it home, fire it up, it runs for an hour then quits again.
Genius Bar, eh?... I have a 1PM appointment today and I'm not happy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Update: Not real happy with Apple.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 23, 2008 11:20AM
Sorry to hear that. If you're interested, the next time you get a new Mac, I think they offer a Pro Care plan that gets you higher up in the diagnosis/repair queue. I think...maybe someone else can clarify.
Posted by: JJ
Date: November 23, 2008 11:52AM
Pro Care is an option, but If I were running a business I think a back up computer would be good insurance for this type of occurrence. If you back-up your Mac daily, you can boot up your back-up Mac from your back-up hard drive and press on. A Macbook would be an ideal backup IMHO.

JJ
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 23, 2008 11:53AM
And seriously, if you are using a Mac for work purposes, there's almost no excuse for not having some kind of back-up Mac available when you can get a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo mini for $500 refurbished; or a MacBook for $800. If your not making that much money from your work to be able to afford a redundant machine, you're probably in the wrong line of work or not charging enough.

Now, why Apple doesn't offer a trade-in and/or service lease program is beyond me, as it would no doubt help their sales significantly. I.e. While your iMac was in the shop they could rent you a 2.8Ghz 15" MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM for $20 a day. If, at the end of the period when your computer is repaired, you can exchange and keep the MBP for a nominal trade-in value or take back your old machine.

Of course, if you return and your computer is still broken they should probably give you a free loaner.
g=
Posted by: simonm
Date: November 23, 2008 12:02PM
This is a great argument for a Dell based Hackintosh. On-site service at a reasonable price is one of Dell's strong points. It may be that they give better service to corporate customers but it is worth a thought. (I have met a lot of Dell guys in the course of my job and they generally have a very good opinion of Macs. )
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: November 23, 2008 03:21PM
Oh wow, I just thought it was the policy at the Briarwood Apple store-I had a problem a year ago with a TiBook, and just wanted to drop it off. I was on my way out of town, didn't need it back for 5-6 weeks-and of course, no appointment, no way Jose!

Soooo....a local shop got my business, and I've bought the last two MacBooks online, refurbs, because I really don't even want to walk into that store again.

Honestly, I miss them having the refreshed products at the end of the month-it was always a thrill to walk in "just shopping" and find a Powerbook that HAD to go home with me.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 23, 2008 04:19PM
Check your RAM

I spent 6months with Apple before I fixed it myself by replacing the stock memory
Posted by: Silencio
Date: November 23, 2008 05:17PM
Seems like every time I go to the Apple Store I see people trying to walk up to the Genius Bar who, upon being told that they need to have an appointment, throw a little hissy fit. Apple does need to do a better job of educating people about the appointment system, but honestly -- would it hurt people to do a little research before just unplugging their computers and schlepping them to the store?

Actually, I think Apple should offer an AppleCare Pro with on-site support or advance replacement. They could charge a fortune for it and everything. On the other hand, I can see why Apple would want to keep their extended warranty choices as simple as possible -- I sprain my head looking at the dozens of warranty options the typical PC maker throws up at you.

And I totally agree with everyone else who offer that if one makes a living on their computer and one's time is valuable, one should have a secondary machine to fall back upon if your machine machine goes down.
"...a little research..."
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2008 05:51PM
I agree.

I would never think of taking my Mac to a shop/Apple Store without calling, at the *very* least.

That's hardly research.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: November 24, 2008 01:44AM
My local Mac shop, Tekserve, has always been walk-in. So if you're turned away from one of the Apple stores in Manhattan, you have an alternative.

Personally, I think the appointment policy is unnecessarily snotty, especially if you're talking about someone who's already unplugged and shlepped a computer to the store.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020