advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 2.2
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 23, 2008 03:26PM
Any real world reports from early adopters?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 2.2
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: November 23, 2008 03:34PM
No issues here on my 3G and 1G Touch.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 23, 2008 03:37PM
No issues here on a Touch, iPhone, or iPhone 3G. No major changes either. They modified Safari a bit, and you can download podcasts wirelessly (finally). Supposedly they added street view to Google Maps, but I haven't figured how how to view that yet.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 23, 2008 03:57PM
No issues yet.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 23, 2008 04:12PM
iPod touch G1.

DL OK but could not update the iPod. Took 3 tries with resetting the iPod each time. Time consuming.

Now I've got Leo La Porte on my Pod. Love getting blogs direct now.

Can't get Google Maps to work now.baseball bat smiley

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 23, 2008 04:17PM
first gen iPhone
No problems
Update all is back at the app store and is very fast
Posted by: guitarist
Date: November 23, 2008 04:38PM
Aside from the absence of issues, what about any notable benefits or additional features? Any reports?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2008 04:59PM
No issues here, but no real benefits either. In fact, I'm not sure I'm crazy about the new Safari version. They still haven't fixed a number of notable bugs or made possible improvements:

1) Pages always reload when you switch to Safari

2) No landscape mode in Mail, SMS, or a number of other applications

3) No cut and paste

4) No option to use Bluetooth for anything other than a headset

etc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Monster
Date: November 23, 2008 05:02PM
anyone update a Jailbreak-on iPhone yet, how were your results?

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: November 23, 2008 05:17PM
They still haven't fixed a number of notable bugs or made possible improvements:

iPhones don't hold data like that in memory, if they did you'd be very unhappy with performance and stability.

Agree this should be addressed.

3) No cut and paste

No one, including you, expected this to change in this particular update (did you have your hopes up, really? sorry) though all of us look forward to when Apple eventually adds this.

No one expected this to change in this particular update. But dozens, maybe even hundreds of people hope Apple eventually adds this.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 23, 2008 05:25PM
No issues with first gen iPhone.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2008 05:26PM
I updated my v1 'Phone with no problems.

Google Street View functions fine on the 'Phone but Google's execution seems a little sloppy.

First, out of 20 tries, I have not hit on an exact address. When I enter the address, the search results are always 3-20 numbers off. Obviously Google doesn't catalog *every* street number though it may show the building.

Second, even when subsequent searches gave the correct address, the pin and camera position were often off by several feet, at least.

Third, it only gives a 360º view. You can't move up or down the street to compensate for their errors. The resolution is varies. Sometimes is quite adequate, other times not so much.

Still, I'm happy to have it.

And I like being able to download a podcast on the fly.

I don't like having the Google window in the top of Safari. That's OK for a desktop, but I don't like it for the 'Phone.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 23, 2008 06:07PM
Pwnage has been updated, for those who have unlock/jailbreak priorities, Apple's new iPhone firmware can be installed. Link and instructions here:

[blog.iphone-dev.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2008 06:23PM by guitarist.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2008 09:12PM
guitarist
They still haven't fixed a number of notable bugs or made possible improvements:

iPhones don't hold data like that in memory, if they did you'd be very unhappy with performance and stability.

Uhhh, I don't see why. It's not that hard to leave loaded pages open. Most modern browsers even let you reload pages that were open when the browser crashed.

guitarist

Agree this should be addressed.

3) No cut and paste

No one, including you, expected this to change in this particular update (did you have your hopes up, really? sorry) though all of us look forward to when Apple eventually adds this.

It was mentioned in a number of different places that the 2.2 update might have cut and paste.

guitarist

No one expected this to change in this particular update. But dozens, maybe even hundreds of people hope Apple eventually adds this.

General assessment seems to be that Bluetooth is crippled on this phone. No synching of data between phone and computer, no file transfers, etc.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 23, 2008 10:01PM
guitarist
Aside from the absence of issues, what about any notable benefits or additional features? Any reports?

- Google shtreet view (sorry--I just came shtraight from watching Ms Keys on the American Music Awards)
- public transit and walking directions
- display address of dropped pins
- Safari improvements
- improved formatting of wide HTML e-mail
- podcasts are now available for download or streaming in iTunes
- decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
- Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
- pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen
- preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings
- app updates are much faster
- apps update in place
Date: November 24, 2008 04:36AM

Uhhh, I don't see why. It's not that hard to leave loaded pages open. Most modern browsers even let you reload pages that were open when the browser crashed.

Peter, there was an article about this recently. Same reason third-party developers aren't allowed access processes for their apps to run in the background. The iPhone doesn't even save web data that's not appearing in the window that you're looking at the moment you're looking at it, much less when you're not looking at it, or the browser app isn't in the foreground, resources are better used elsewhere. As the iPhone's resources increase over time, I imagine we'll see more desktop-like browser behavior, in the meantime, it does some impressive stuff with the limited resources it has.

It was mentioned in a number of different places that the 2.2 update might have cut and paste.

I enjoy reading mac rumor sites and web chatter, too, but wish lists, even from credible sources, are still just wishful thinking.

General assessment seems to be that Bluetooth is crippled on this phone. No synching of data between phone and computer, no file transfers, etc.

Yeah I hear ya. General assessment seems to be that refrigerators are crippled because they don't make beer from fresh scratch and automatically serve it to you and your guests, it only chills beverages you manually put in yourself, and you have to open the door to get them out. Hopefully someday these woefully crippled appliances will be unlocked and allowed to reach their full potential.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 24, 2008 06:53AM
guitarist

Yeah I hear ya. General assessment seems to be that refrigerators are crippled because they don't make beer from fresh scratch and automatically serve it to you and your guests, it only chills beverages you manually put in yourself, and you have to open the door to get them out. Hopefully someday these woefully crippled appliances will be unlocked and allowed to reach their full potential.

The crippled bluetooth functionality is unacceptable. I've had bluetooth capable phones for years that have had this feature. It'd be really nice to be able to send an attachment from an email to a laptop via bluetooth. My guess is that Apple hasn't implemented the other bluetooth features until they can provide some type of security to prevent remote hacking via bluetooth. Too many people leave their bluetooth open to outside connections.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: November 24, 2008 11:40AM
I've not had near as many drops since installing on a 3G. Could be coincidental but I think it has helped.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: November 24, 2008 12:18PM
guitarist
Thanks for bursting my bubble Guitarist!!
I've been saving up for a new refrigerator!!
I guess I can sell all this Hops, Grain, & Yeast that I have filled my garage with!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: particleman
Date: November 24, 2008 01:15PM
Just noticed that podcasts are now shown in chronological order from oldest to newest. I don't know if this is due to the 2.2 update or the new iTunes 8.02 release , however.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020