The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I had a shocking epiphany about those NetBooks
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: November 28, 2008 09:29PM
Sure, I don't need one.

But I'm going to buy one, anyway.

I just...well, I don't have to buy one, like I have to breathe. But I gotta. :-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I had a shocking epiphany about those NetBooks
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 28, 2008 09:37PM
Cost of the Jan. Apple Netbook????????????????

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 28, 2008 10:16PM
My next 2 Mac OS X machines are likely a converted wind netbook (for my kids) and a hackintosh as a replacement for my G4 Mac mini.

Apple is simply not covering these market areas.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 28, 2008 10:24PM
they don't want to. Why spend a whole bunch of R&D to produce a product with a low price and a low profit margin when they can expend that same effort on a more expensive product with a higher profit margin yielding more money for their bank account.

hell, if they could actually make money selling only a thousand 1 million dollar machines a year, they would. less customer support costs.

If they made a super powerful mini with a bunch of FW/USB and eSATA ports all with their own controllers and a bitchin' video card and a 3.5" drive for a grand, they wouldn't sell anywhere near as many towers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2008 10:26PM by Racer X.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: November 28, 2008 10:29PM
People are going to say "Apple is doing everything perfectly fine."

I don't agree.

I have plenty of LCD monitors in the house. I don't want an iMac. A Mac Mini is hamstrung by integrated video.

What I want is a mid sized tower that holds two hard drives, 2 PCIe slots, and holds 4 GB of RAM. Apple can charge me $700 ea. and I will buy 2 tomorrow.

Otherwise I am seriously thinking about going the Hackintosh route for the wife and daughter.

This has been talked to death but I think there is a real need for a mid sized tower.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 28, 2008 10:36PM
I was really enamoured by some of the shuttle styled PCs that were starting to be common several years ago. A hackintosh one of those would be a neat thing IMHO.

My POV is, as a professional who earns a living from my equipment, saving a grand or so on a piece of hacked equipment isn't worth the risk of blowing a deadline because of some unforseen problem with a kludged hardware/software workflow solution.

Now, having a hackintosh mini tower or shuttle-type system purely as a toy, or as a tertiary emergency machine is a fun idea.

My rock-solid reputation for always delivering is far to valuable than saving a grand or two every few years.

Now, someone trying to outfit several kids with their own machines on a budget, more power to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2008 10:36PM by Racer X.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 28, 2008 11:25PM
Well, the B&W case was almost a mini-tower, by contemporary PC standards. The MDDs took that about as far as it would go but today, that size should be doable again now that C2D mobos and CPUs don't generate the heat of 2 PPCs.

MacArtist

What I want is a mid sized tower that holds two hard drives, 2 PCIe slots, and holds 4 GB of RAM. Apple can charge me $700 ea. and I will buy 2 tomorrow.

I'll go one more and suggest Apple sell it without any RAM or HD and save us all that money. We'd toss it/upgrade it anyway. Give it a IIci / Quadra 700 case and let users decide to lay it down or not. The Apple Brick. But the "only 2 PCIe slots" quickly falls apart if it has hobbled mobo video, no FW etc. It would defeat the purpose of not needing the extra slots.
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 28, 2008 11:27PM
I wouldn't hackintosh for professional equipment I need to work.

I would hackintosh for home equipment that will generally work reliably and serve simpler purposes:

iPhoto / iTunes / Front Row Media Center
DVR / EyeTV
Web Browsing
Media aggregator (e.g. a ripping device to capture new discs and recompress DVR captures)
File Server

Although it many of these functions can increasingly be fulfilled without the need for OS X; the trick is if you have photo data locked up in iPhoto or can't find an equivalent to Front Row. The trouble with a hackintosh these days is simply matching compatible hardware, hacked or homebrew drivers - nevertheless I am more inclined to go with Linux where the support is well-documented than to spend time and money guessing! Nevertheless, these circumstances do not bode well for Apple as a commodity computer company - but they are clearly not interested in that business anyway.

That said, I still wish they'd embrace their super-high end by offering exclusive hardware for true geeks and power users at an even further premium - sort of develop a high-end brand on top of Apple that doesn't have all the annoying trade offs of the regular consumer offerings, even if it does have an additional (and most likely excessive) price tag.
g=
Posted by: simonm
Date: November 29, 2008 01:49AM
I have been putting off buying a new laptop hoping Apple will bring out something I really want. I can't put if off much longer. But ...
In the middle price range Apple has nothing I want without a major trade-off. I don't want a glossy screen. I like pretty much everything else about the new MacBook - I would miss target mode but can live without it. I used firewire simply because Apple's original usb was so bad. I visit a couple of shops where I live on a regular basis to see if they have a blow out on the last pb 15" that is cheap enough for me and I keep an eye on the reffurbs here too. While one shop has a reasonable deal on the 2.5ghz 15" it is still too expensive for me - I don't see that the .1 ghz difference to the 2.4 is worth much money for someone who basically just surfs and occasionally vpns to some servers. If the Refurb shop had matt 2.4's or even the older 2.2 at a reasonable price I'd go for it.
As it stands, I reckon I'll be going the hackintosh route. Or maybe use a linux netbook as vlc client for my mini...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2008 06:07AM
Bring back the Cube.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 29, 2008 06:52AM
simonm
I have been putting off buying a new laptop hoping Apple will bring out something I really want. I can't put if off much longer. But ...
In the middle price range Apple has nothing I want without a major trade-off. I don't want a glossy screen. I like pretty much everything else about the new MacBook - I would miss target mode but can live without it. I used firewire simply because Apple's original usb was so bad. I visit a couple of shops where I live on a regular basis to see if they have a blow out on the last pb 15" that is cheap enough for me and I keep an eye on the reffurbs here too. While one shop has a reasonable deal on the 2.5ghz 15" it is still too expensive for me - I don't see that the .1 ghz difference to the 2.4 is worth much money for someone who basically just surfs and occasionally vpns to some servers. If the Refurb shop had matt 2.4's or even the older 2.2 at a reasonable price I'd go for it.
As it stands, I reckon I'll be going the hackintosh route. Or maybe use a linux netbook as vlc client for my mini...

If the glossy screen is the only issue that you have with the new MacBook, there is a company that sells a matte film that you apply over the screen. Solves the glossy issue.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 29, 2008 08:07AM
Who cares when a Wind netbook is $350 and all it needs is a replacement wireless card ($15 on ebay) to run Leopard.

I'm setting up Leopard on my Wind so I can have an OS X computer while my MacBook goes back to Apple for the "cracking case" repair (even the bottom case is cracking - way to go Apple!)

Go To Top
Cost of the Jan. Apple Netbook????????????????
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: November 29, 2008 09:15AM
I'm still waiting for someone to post pictures of an MSI Wind or other netbook running OS X. I've read everything I can lay my hands on about this but my Asus Eee PC 1000h is still running Windows XP.

Posted by: incognegro
Date: November 29, 2008 09:21AM
DaviDC.
I'm still waiting for someone to post pictures of an MSI Wind or other netbook running OS X. I've read everything I can lay my hands on about this but my Asus Eee PC 1000h is still running Windows XP.

search YouTube and the 'net. It's been done many times over already.

you could even check out Appleswitcher.com, there are a couple discussion threads on that forum.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: November 29, 2008 09:53AM
I know it's been done by others but I'm talking about someone here doing it. Seeing a video on YouTube ain't the same as reading about it on a familiar forum.

I was so hoping I'd be the 1st to post here about running OS X on a netbook but I don't think that's going to happen.

Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 29, 2008 10:23AM
DaviDC.
I know it's been done by others but I'm talking about someone here doing it. Seeing a video on YouTube ain't the same as reading about it on a familiar forum.

Appleswitcher not familiar enuf fer ya?

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
The Touch is a "netbook"...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 29, 2008 11:51AM
...with a tiny display.

Seriously, if the Touch were made with a 6" screen, faster processor, more RAM (of course), and horizontal typing mode for all apps, I'd be on that big time.

I'd still like to have a 12" laptop like my PowerBook.

Bring back the Cube.

Cube II.

The Mac Pro has gone as far as it can go, innovation wise. Now it will just be more cores, more GHz, bigger HD, and maybe one day, a little bag o' hurt.

So give us a little Mac Pro-- smaller footprint, three RAM slots, easily upgradeable HD, and an upgradeable video card. A Cube II. We could choose a 20-30" Cinema Display.

Cube II. I'm just sayin'.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 29, 2008 12:22PM
DaviDC.

I was so hoping I'd be the 1st to post here about running OS X on a netbook but I don't think that's going to happen.

I will post some pics soon and a mini-review. I know sekker has been waiting patiently for a review.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: incognegro
Date: November 29, 2008 01:37PM
OK, i'll link it for you. there are screen shots and personal notes.

[appleswitcher.com]

(just not mine)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020