advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Owner opinions needed: MBP 2.4 17" (Santa Rosa)
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 30, 2008 10:41AM
Powerbook G4 getting long in the tooth. Seriously considering this as a replacement:

[www.macconnection.com]

It's a Santa Rosa, right? Which means RAM should go up to 4GB (6GB if you have a lot of extra $$)?

Is the hard drive swap in this machine any more difficult than a PBG4 17? Any other opinions/drawbacks/things to watch out for?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Owner opinions needed: MBP 2.4 17" (Santa Rosa)
Posted by: simonm
Date: November 30, 2008 11:06AM
Looks like a good deal to me. I asked a similar question yesterday about the 15" - the consensus was that they were not too difficult to work on. I investigated further and found www.powerbookmedic.com which has manuals and videos for taking apart most pbs/mpbs.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: November 30, 2008 11:20AM
They run great. On one right now even (17"). The hard drive swap is pretty much the same as the PB17...perhaps even a tad slightly easier (since you obviously have experience). I got this when it was first available and his one came with the 160GB which I immediately put a 250GB in...and then when 500GB drives were available I put one of those in. Simple.

I've had 4GB in this machine for a long time now. You won't be disappointed. Great battery life too.

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: November 30, 2008 11:20AM
I also agree on the great price.

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 30, 2008 03:06PM
That's a nice machine. I went from a PB17 to a 15MBP; I like the smaller form factor on airplanes and some other unusual situations (like a government meeting that presets the space for my laptop at a meeting).

Otherwise, I very much liked the 17" form factor. My father-in-law has a 17MBP, and when I use it, I realize how much nicer the larger machine is sometimes.

Right now, the older Al MBPs are definitely the best deal around in terms of performance/price for an Apple laptop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020