advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vegetarian daughter coming for a few days. What am I missing?
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 30, 2008 11:03AM
I don't eat a bunch of red meat but the German in me loves pork....but when my veggie daughter comes I want to have nice meals and don't want to overlook anything. Regular meals you can fill up on "stuff". She's in to healthy. I'm afraid I'm not into Whole Foods healthy altho I do use Olive oil but love cream and butter, potato.

My menu is:

Pecan crusted Chick breast on skewers (over baked)
With a veggie lasagna
Toasted La Brea 3 chez bread

Next meal will be

Pan blackened shrimp in olive oil and
Fresh squash bruschetta on toasted rye bread

what else do you suggest? I have some white wine, almonds and brazil nuts for munchies. She doesn't eat dessert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 11:06AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vegetarian daughter coming for a few days. What am I missing?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: November 30, 2008 11:09AM
Is she Vegetarian, or Vegan??
The menu is not Vegetarian, it is just a regular "I Don't Eat Red Meat" menu.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 30, 2008 11:12AM
I'm sure whatever you do for veggie entrées will be appreciated.

What have you got for her to drink?

Soy milk and carrot juice are often preferred by vegetarians. Have you asked what she might prefer?
Date: November 30, 2008 11:16AM
She's pretty much into bottled water. I hate the bottled water thing because there are not minerals in it...but that is just the "mom" in me I guess.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 30, 2008 11:23AM
Dasani bottled water puts the good stuff back in. That's why it tastes better than most bottled water.
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 30, 2008 11:26AM
samintx
She's pretty much into bottled water. I hate the bottled water thing because there are not minerals in it...but that is just the "mom" in me I guess.

'Depends on the water. Is it just generic "bottled water" (which is usually tap water and will usually have the same mineral content as the municipal tap water source) or is it "spring water" (which may have natural minerals that survive the filtering processor or added minerals and salt for flavor).

Here's Poland Spring's mineral content:
[www.polandspring.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 11:28AM by Doc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 30, 2008 11:50AM
Mmm, I'm coming over for dinner as well, veg or not!

Number one is don't forget the salad! Dress it up with artichokes, fresh mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, nuts, etc. Don't buy those nuts in the salad dressing aisle (overpriced and full of other crap and wayyy high in sodium), just use crush some cashews/almonds [from a jar]. Maybe some dried cranberries, too. And some dressing you know she likes.

My wife is veg (no "meat" or fish but she does eat cheese and eggs) so I encounter (and live) this vegetarian diet daily; it can be pretty tasty believe it or not. It sounds like your daughter is okay with dairy, so it looks like your menu is fine. For snacks, you might grab some hummus and pita chips or pita bread.

For add'l meals/snacks, if you have a Greek or Turkish deli, sometimes you can find yummy stuff like falafel and baked eggplant, tabouli (don't know if I spelled that right, sounds like tah-boo-lee), etc. Also lentil soups are great for veg folks, fairly nutritious as they have a protein component with lentils, and tasty for the rest of us, too. You can buy fresh from the aformentioned delis or you can get some Progresso or what have you. Another good soup is Pacific brand Red Pepper and Tomato. Just pour (comes in a carton, we get ours at Costco), heat and serve. We like this with fresh rosemary bread from the market. They should have that or a similar brand at Whole Foods; maybe even at your local grocer if it is upscale enough.

Refried bean burritos are also great and very easy (Just make sure the refritos are veg; if not, they will include "lard" as an ingredient, ick!) We have them with fresh cilantro, onions, pepper jack cheese, etc. We like the flavored tortillas...jalapeno, red chile pepper, etc. Less ingredients is better than more. Also check labels here.

Costco/Sam's should also have some tasty "fresh" frozen pastas in some combo of spinach/artichoke/garlic/cheese. Grab some pesto (or make some) to use for a light sauce, and fresh basil and you're on your way. You can also find these at your local supermarket, you'll just pay a little more. Just look for the cheese tortellini/pasta type things and again, read the labels for any meat products.

Portobello mushroom "burgers" are also a nice choice. I like to "fry" a large portobello in a skillet with a little olive oil and then dress it with some nice lettuce and spicy mustard, salsa, (insert your favorite condiment), aioli, etc. and serve it on some good bread.

Indian / Pakistani and Thai food are also a veg lover's delight. Navratan Koorma...mmmm. Give her a nice surprise by taking her to a local Indian or Thai joint. You can also enjoy the veg offerings or even get meat. For instance, Tandoori chicken is a lot like bbq chicken, just with a kick. You can tell them to make it spicy or mild according to your prefs.

Fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast and snacks is also a staple around here.

Let me also say good for you for trying to accommodate your daughter's diet and not complaining about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 11:51AM by SteveO.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: November 30, 2008 11:50AM
I just came back from Thanksgiving with the relatives one of whom is a vegetarian. Please explain something for me. This person would not eat my wife's broccoli casserole (which is a family favorite every year) because there is chicken flavored stove top stuffing as the topping. We made her a small one with no topping. BUT instead of turkey she had a big ol hunk of stinky fish for her meal! How do you eat the flesh of a once living creature but turn your nose up to chicken flavoring? News flash: Fish are not vegetables.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 11:51AM by Jack D..
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 30, 2008 11:59AM
Jack D, the gal you mention sounds like she's not a vegetarian at all, in that she'll eat fish but not "meat." I wouldn't even call her a vegetarian. I'd just say she doesn't eat meat or chicken. Eating fish to me is no different than eating pork, chicken, beef, etc. I also find this annoying about as much as I find the people who call themselves vegetarian and then eat stuff like fish and chicken. Bah. Just say, "I don't eat certain meat" and call it a day. I like to engage in conversations with people like this for a little fun.

My wife draws the line at "If it walked, flew or swam and/or was born, I don't eat it." And she makes no exceptions.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: November 30, 2008 12:10PM
Do you know if she is really vegetarian? Vegetarian means not eating anything that would come from a dead animal so obviously red meat is out but so is fish and poultry. There are some who call themselves vegetarian who still eat fish so they are not vegetarian but pescetarian which is not the same. Some things are obvious but others less so. True vegetarians will include all aspects of the food so animal rennet is out when making cheese however it has been shown many times that cheese made using vegetable 'rennet' tastes no different and certainly here in the UK it is easy to buy almost any variety of cheese which is also vegetarian. The only one I have found that is not available is Parmesan. True Parmesan has to come from Parma in Italy and they always use animal rennet however there are good alternatives but in most countries they are not allowed to call it Parmesan.

Puddings/sweets/desserts can be a problem if they contain gelatine although there are alternatives to that. If the colourings contain cochineal then that is out as it is made from crushed beetles.

Vegans do not eat anything that comes from animals whether the animal has to die first or whether it still lives so milk is out. Also any dairy products that are made from it like cream, butter etc. Soya milk can be substituted in most things but the flavour is not the same.

I am not a vegetarian but my wife and daughters are and have been for over 20 years, it certainly is not a fad but a definite life choice. I am happy to support them in their views and they understand my choice and none of them are the preachy type. I have to say that I get annoyed with those who say they are vegetarian but still don't care about the rennet/gelatine aspect, in other words the not so visible side. I feel that they are doing it as a fad and obviously are not doing it as a true life choice. If they really believed then it would matter to them. My view on them is just a part of my dislike of hypocrites in general!

Do not ever think that a vegetarian diet lacks flavour or variety. Like an omnivorous diet it's a question of doing it properly in fact one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had was in a vegetarian restaurant in Rome. Several courses, fantastic flavours and a wide variety. It was also one of the most expensive but that was the restaurant not the ingredients especially.

Posted by: dmann
Date: November 30, 2008 12:12PM
I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat beef or pork. I eat lots of fish and a little bit of chicken and turkey (maybe once a month or so.)

I am always quick to correct people who say, "Oh, you're a vegetarian" but I have to be honest, sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy when I say that. To many people, not eating beef or pork makes one a vegetarian! smiling smiley

Sam, one other thing to consider adding to your menu- polenta!

DM
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: November 30, 2008 12:34PM
SteveO
Jack D, the gal you mention sounds like she's not a vegetarian at all, in that she'll eat fish but not "meat." I wouldn't even call her a vegetarian. I'd just say she doesn't eat meat or chicken.

Yeah, this is a real pet peeve of mine. Half the time when I tell someone I'm a vegetarian, the response is "Do you eat chicken or fish?" It takes every once of smartass suppression to refrain from saying, "Maybe you should look up 'vegetarian' in the dictionary, moron."
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 30, 2008 12:37PM
samintx, here is an exerpt of a book I wrote a few years ago with quite a few recipes. These are all vegan in nature, so your daughter should be fine with them. I think it's quite long, but you can just print out the pages of the recipes that you want to work with.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: November 30, 2008 12:45PM
I have an acquaintance who also doesn't think poultry of fish are technically "meats."
I argue with him about it all the time, but he swears he's right.
I think it's a cultural thing.

He grew up in a fifties, meat-and-potatoes "nuclear family," in which the "food pyramid" was pot roast at the top, pork chops in middle and chicken and tuna casserole at the bottom. So "meat" to him is red meat, and all other dishes are less than meat.

Whereas I am a post-boomer latchkey kid of the seventies, with hippie communes and "wheat germ" and granola and all that -- not to mention all the fast food.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 30, 2008 12:47PM
Argh. Never-mind.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 12:49PM by Ted King.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 30, 2008 01:45PM
macphanatic
Dasani bottled water puts the good stuff back in. That's why it tastes better than most bottled water.

Have someone set up a blind test with Dasani water and four other brands.

The odds are 1 in 120 that you'll correctly identify the five brands of water.

[www.mineralwaters.org]
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2008 03:33PM
well, she's your daughter and you ask us for advice? why not ask her? maybe she could also help with cooking, if she has some special diet or something. As mention by several others, is she vegetarian or not? you cook chicken, which I though it not a vegetarian dish (unless chicken is some form of plant in Texas). Over here it's meat.
Date: November 30, 2008 04:31PM
Jack D.
I just came back from Thanksgiving with the relatives one of whom is a vegetarian. Please explain something for me. This person would not eat my wife's broccoli casserole (which is a family favorite every year) because there is chicken flavored stove top stuffing as the topping. We made her a small one with no topping. BUT instead of turkey she had a big ol hunk of stinky fish for her meal! How do you eat the flesh of a once living creature but turn your nose up to chicken flavoring? News flash: Fish are not vegetables.

Thanks, SteveO. Got some good suggestion on h2O and food.

JACK...If I knew my vegetarian friend was having fish for din din I would back a turkey breast and dressing and tell my hostess you like turkey for T'giving and perhaps others would like some too. I would not be able to stand the fish...or anything but turk for t'ging. My other daughter doesn't eat turkey so I fix her something else but I think if I was a hostess I would have something for my non veggie friends as a courtesy. But that is just the way I am.
Date: November 30, 2008 04:35PM
space-time
well, she's your daughter and you ask us for advice? why not ask her? maybe she could also help with cooking, if she has some special diet or something. As mention by several others, is she vegetarian or not? you cook chicken, which I though it not a vegetarian dish (unless chicken is some form of plant in Texas). Over here it's meat.

Over here I think we are more friendly in our responses...My daughter does not COOK, I want to surprise her with the food. I am cooking the veggie lasagna at her request because she likes my dish. I know she doesn't eat red meat, beef/pork and such.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2008 04:46PM
samintx
space-time

Over here I think we are more friendly in our responses...My daughter does not COOK, I want to surprise her with the food. I am cooking the veggie lasagna at her request because she likes my dish. I know she doesn't eat red meat, beef/pork and such.

hey, I didn't mean to be rude. But you said vegetarian, then you cook some dishes with MEAT. Doesn't make much sense to me, does it? also, we have no clue what she likes, you know best since she's your daughter. Again, I didn't mean to be rude (although if I read my reply again, it appears so).
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 30, 2008 06:43PM
I had been on a seefood diet; I'd see food and eat it ;) . Since I've learned I have Celiac Sprue Disease (Gluten Intolerance), eating has been a lot more challenging. Oh well, life's a b*tch, then you die sad smiley .
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 30, 2008 06:55PM
Veggie lasagna can be fantastic, if done properly. Besides the very good suggestions of a nice salad and polenta, I'd also suggest stuffed mushrooms and/or peppers... again, very tasty if done right.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: simonm
Date: November 30, 2008 06:58PM
Seacrest
I have an acquaintance who also doesn't think poultry of fish are technically "meats."
I argue with him about it all the time, but he swears he's right.
I think it's a cultural thing.

Cultural yes, if cultural = Catholic (and possibly other christian groups).
As far as I know Catholics are the only major group which classifies fish as "not meat." Possibly due to latin. You friend is basically saying ''meat" = flesh of mammal. Fish/poultry not=mammal => I am right.

To the food question:
Pasta and rice are your friend. Any pasta with any veggie lightly cooked in olive oil is fine. What's regularly available in your area? If you are really adventurous make your own raviolis/tortelloni with a pumpkin/potato filling and serve with melted butter with loads of fresh sage. An eggplant with tyme filling is also very nice in filled pastas. Risottos are among the easiest dishes there are to make - a mix of dried Porchini mushrooms (aka ceps aka steinpilz) with regular white mushrooms makes a very nice rice dish. Any old rice will do despite what Italians would say. Just call it rice with mushrooms.
Posted by: karsen
Date: November 30, 2008 09:21PM
Vegetarians do not eat chicken or shrimp. You need to revise your menu!

Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 30, 2008 09:51PM
Oh, and it's a shame she doesn't like desserts... [www.elise.com] (vegan version here: [foodgeeks.com] )

... dang, wish I was coming to your house for dinner!

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 01, 2008 01:08AM
I attended a cooking class once when the instructor considered squid as a mobile vegetable because it didn't have a backbone.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 01, 2008 02:24AM
>>squid as a mobile vegetable

Seriously made me laugh. That's funny. kj.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 01, 2008 06:47AM
I let the kids use my kitchen but they've gotta clean up after themselves, like always.
Posted by: TLB
Date: December 01, 2008 08:40AM
When my doctor recommended a pescetarian diet for me, he actually called it pesco-vegetarian, so I can understand some of the confusion. I learned quickly to change the term after getting a verbal slapdown from my vegetarian friends for using fish and vegetarian in the same sentence. I add fish to 3-4 meals a week, but am otherwise vegetarian. I do eat dairy (primarily cheese and yogurt) and I haven't decided whether I'm going to eliminate them. There is never a shortage of things to eat or new tastes to try. Plus I get to eat the vegetables that no one but me (in our family) likes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020