advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Backing up Wii games?
Posted by: john dough
Date: November 30, 2008 11:29AM
We had a party yesterday where the kids (naturally) went to play the Wii, and they were handling the discs pretty carelessly; I don't blame them, they are kids. Anyhow, with games being not free, is there a way that I can backup the games, which I bought, and play the burned discs, to prevent a bad scene? I was at a house where 2 kids had a disagreement about games and promptly started a tug-of-war with the disc in question (you can imagine what happened next).

Again, I am NOT looking to engage in piracy, just want a safety net for games that I have purchased, so I don't have to hover over the kids when they are here.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Backing up Wii games?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 30, 2008 11:44AM
PM sent
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 30, 2008 11:47AM
The Wii won't play your backups unless it has been chipped and runs old firmware.

I suggest looking for dupes on eBay when your originals get busted.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: November 30, 2008 12:52PM
Hey, Macphanatic, PM me, too, please!

It is kind of bad that they don't allow for a way to make backups. The games are very expensive ($50 often, and in some cases more.

They let you backup computer software, DVDs, music (or at least it can be done relatively easily).

If the music and movie industry wants to stop piracy so badly, why can't they implement something like the gaming industry has? Is it because music and movies need to be playable on multiple devices by multiple manufacturers, as opposed to a gaming system where it's always made by the same company?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: November 30, 2008 01:41PM
> They let you backup computer software, DVDs, music (or at least it can be done relatively easily).

"They" Try everything they can to stop you from making backups.

It can be done fairly easily for many DVD's and most music because there's a huge community dedicated to breaking "their" content-controls and encryption so that you can exercise your fast-eroding right to fair use.

> If the music and movie industry wants to stop piracy so badly, why
> can't they implement something like the gaming industry has?

They've done far more.

'Copied a Blu-ray disc lately?
Date: November 30, 2008 01:56PM
Doc
'Copied a Blu-ray disc lately?

Blu-ray copy protection was cracked a while ago. It hasn't developed a following like SD dvd's due to cost. People that are ripping Blu-Ray are doing it to hard drives and not burning copies.
Date: November 30, 2008 04:01PM
> Blu-ray copy protection was cracked a while ago.

It has to be re-cracked every few weeks when codes are updated on new BD's and firmware updates get pushed.

> It hasn't developed a following like SD dvd's due to cost.

Cracking BD's hasn't become popular because it's difficult to do.

Pricing on the discs is approaching parity. Prices on players are dropping. It's an affordable alternative to DVD. But popularity of BD is not on the rise. There's a good argument that if people could just back up their Blu-ray discs and move the video to their computers and iPods the way they could their DVD's it would substantially bolster the popularity of Blu-ray.
Date: November 30, 2008 07:27PM
My guess is that Blu-Ray is on life support. People are now looking at how they buy movies, they same way that people changed how they bought their music. They want to be able to watch it wherever they want and not have to deal with physical media. Couple this with the issue that people have had with playing some of the newer Blu-ray releases due to DRM updates, etc and one can see why Jobs/Apple is taking a wait and see approach.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 30, 2008 08:59PM
macphanatic
My guess is that Blu-Ray is on life support. People are now looking at how they buy movies, they same way that people changed how they bought their music. They want to be able to watch it wherever they want and not have to deal with physical media. Couple this with the issue that people have had with playing some of the newer Blu-ray releases due to DRM updates, etc and one can see why Jobs/Apple is taking a wait and see approach.

Blu-ray dead within five years - DVD is simply good enough
[tech.blorge.com]

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!
[blogs.zdnet.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 30, 2008 11:41PM
I own a 50" plasma, and BD players are still way too expensive.

It'll be better use of my $$ to purchase a fiber connection and then download files from netflix.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020