advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have (or know someone with) a Psystar machine?
Posted by: miK.
Date: November 30, 2008 07:14PM
Just curious...

They have come further than the mini-comparable model
that they first put out, and are available to be BTO as well.

Yes, they are "bastard macs", but interesting nonetheless.

[store.psystar.com]

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have (or know someone with) a Psystar machine?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 30, 2008 07:25PM
Didn't Apple say these guys couldn't sell them anymore?
Posted by: miK.
Date: November 30, 2008 07:42PM
Apple sued in July, Psystar counter-sued that Apple was anti-competitive,
and most recently, a judge threw that countersuit out.

[www.internetnews.com]

As far as I can tell, none of this has stopped them from selling product on their site (yet).

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 30, 2008 08:34PM
As far as I can tell, the most recent hackintoshes are better machines - as you can load Leopard without modifying the installer DVD.

I still do not understand how Apple can legally stand with its EULA - that is, once you purchase a legal copy of OS X, you should be able to put it on any one machine you like. Especially as the requirements for installing only on Apple machines is not listed on the box as far as I know.

If Psystar made a custom-built box that is hackintosh-compatible, and included an unaltererd copy of OSX, seems to me they would be fully protected from an Apple suit.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 30, 2008 08:37PM
sekker

I still do not understand how Apple can legally stand with its EULA - that is, once you purchase a legal copy of OS X, you should be able to put it on any one machine you like. Especially as the requirements for installing only on Apple machines is not listed on the box as far as I know.

It's probably in all that legal mumbo jumbo you scroll past - or ignore - before you hit the accept button during an install.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 30, 2008 08:47PM
Someone figured out how to use a usb thumb drive to enable the installation of OS X without modding Kext files. The usb drive must remain mounted for the computer to boot. The benefit of this method is that you are supposed to be able to use Software Update to update the OS which is something that couldn't be done with the other methods.

The problem with buying a Pystar is that if they loose the suit that Apple has filed against them, they may be required to reclaim the computers that have been sold. Don't know how or if this would work, but supposedly that's what Apple has included in the filing.
irony
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 30, 2008 08:59PM
Psystar's website
Please note that Bootcamp is not supported by Open Computers because it is Apple-hardware specific.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 30, 2008 09:41PM
I don't know about all this legal mumbo jumbo but those are nice
looking systems for a great price!

Grateful11
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 30, 2008 11:30PM
freeradical
sekker

It's probably in all that legal mumbo jumbo you scroll past - or ignore - before you hit the accept button during an install.

Unless that 'mumbo jumbo' is available to read BEFORE you purchased a product, it is very hard for the company to enforce. There is sufficient prior litigation against M$ and others for trying to slip onerous requirements in that text we never read.

In terms of 'boot camp', I thought the newest hackintoshes with the USB-drive enablers were default windows boot machines? So can't you just pull the USB drive and it'll boot off the windows partition? Maybe that's too easy...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020